Leinster Scrum Coach

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: Leinster Scrum Coach

Post by Dave Cahill »

wixfjord wrote:Yep, McBryde confirmed:

Sounds like a very solid appointment. Some serious international level experience on our staff now.
https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/robin-mcbr ... ter-rugby/

Once again we see Leo's willingness to drop any ego and bring in strong experienced outside characters. He has to be seriously applauded for that.
Plus, like Lancaster, someone from outside the Leinster gene-pool to bring in different experience and ideas
I have Bumbleflex
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Dave Cahill wrote:
wixfjord wrote:Yep, McBryde confirmed:

Sounds like a very solid appointment. Some serious international level experience on our staff now.
https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/robin-mcbr ... ter-rugby/

Once again we see Leo's willingness to drop any ego and bring in strong experienced outside characters. He has to be seriously applauded for that.
Plus, like Lancaster, someone from outside the Leinster gene-pool to bring in different experience and ideas
That's some coup. Guy played hooker 250 times for the Scarlets and 37 times for Wales. Won a Grand Slam as player as well as three of them as part of Gatland's coaching team. He also speaks fluent Welsh and is Grand Sword Bearer at the National Eisteddfod of Wales. Respect!!! See:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_McBryde
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

Good works on both fronts, Leinster & IRFU. Best luck in the future and hope you return someday John Fogarty
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

This is another great Coaching appointment. Obviously, we will only see how it translates to performances as the years progress.

There is a very strong logic to having a multi-dimensional Coaching group in Leinster, even if some in the IRFU would prefer to have a greater say in who we appoint.

Broadly speaking, we draw the vast majority of our players from a pretty narrow geographic and playing background i.e. a large proportion of our players come from Leinster Schools and Clubs coaching process. When you add in the Leinster Academy influence, the coaching exposure narrows even further. So, then they reach the Senior Squad and now, they get the experiences from Leinster & Leicester (Leo), Leeds & RFU (Stuart), Brothers, Leinster, Toulon, Argentina (Felipe), and now Llanelli & Wales (Robin McBryde). That's a wonderful combination of strong cultural and experienced rugby backgrounds.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how our front-five forwards work under McBryde. I've developed a huge respect for Scarlets and Welsh forwards over the past decade and the past three seasons in particular. Pivac showed how good Welsh Regional teams, with excellent coaching, could be with Scarlets, but Gatland and his Coaching Staff, including McBryde, showed how successful and astute their National coaching could be, not just at 6N competitions but also in RWC. The experience of learning from a Master will not have been lost on McBryde, who was also considered to be a sufficently rounded Coach to lead the National Team on two Summer Tours.

Welcome Robin McBryde and also hope to hear your poetry and music get an airing among the Western Celts.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Good for Leinster. Will it be good for Ireland come 6 Nations time? He is only human.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Yeah I'd say McBryde will be straight on the phone to Pivac and the guy replacing him.

I heard Lancaster sent over a load of intel to Jones this year, that’s why we got such a heavy beating in Feb.

And if Arg beat us again in the RWC I know where I’ll be pointing the finger…

Come to think of it the IRFU should have someone surveilling Faz Snr. to make sure he doesn't give anything away while asking Faz Jnr. to pass the salt!
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

wixfjord wrote:Yeah I'd say McBryde will be straight on the phone to Pivac and the guy replacing him.

I heard Lancaster sent over a load of intel to Jones this year, that’s why we got such a heavy beating in Feb.

And if Arg beat us again in the RWC I know where I’ll be pointing the finger…

Come to think of it the IRFU should have someone surveilling Faz Snr. to make sure he doesn't give anything away while asking Faz Jnr. to pass the salt!
You are an angry little man aren’t you? Good luck with the therapy.

Lancaster & Farrell left in very different circumstances to McBryde. He has been part of a very happy and driven Welsh camp for a long time and wouldn’t be human if he didn’t feel pressure or tempted to share insights. He might not. We will never know.

You’ll get your salt when you pass the lemons.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

backrower8 wrote:
You are an angry little man aren’t you? Good luck with the therapy.

Lancaster & Farrell left in very different circumstances to McBryde. He has been part of a very happy and driven Welsh camp for a long time and wouldn’t be human if he didn’t feel pressure or tempted to share insights. He might not. We will never know.

Your point is kind of scurrilous. This is professional sport - people cross borders and move teams all the time and they act with the kind of integrity you are saying that McBryde lacks. We've had coaches from across the rugby world that have contributed to us beating their native countries.
I have Bumbleflex
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

It would be scurrilous if he let slip insights to a welsh coaching mate before a RWC QF, for example, yes.

Human beingss have been known to do much worse in all walks of life, including in professional sport.

McBryde will probably be kosher, but it’s going to take me a while to be fully comfortable with seeing him as one of our own after over a decade in the cockpit of, for me, our main international rival over that period. That’s just what occurs to me.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

backrower8 wrote:
Why are we having tequilas with the Farrells? :lol:

I'm down for that, I'd say Andy could sink a few.
leinster23
Bookworm

Post by leinster23 »

backrower8 wrote:It would be scurrilous if he let slip insights to a welsh coaching mate before a RWC QF, for example, yes.

Human beingss have been known to do much worse in all walks of life, including in professional sport.

McBryde will probably be kosher, but it’s going to take me a while to be fully comfortable with seeing him as one of our own after over a decade in the cockpit of, for me, our main international rival over that period. That’s just what occurs to me.
Like Felipe and Lancaster?
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

As I said already, I perceive a different context in respect of those coaches.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

There have been some weird takes on this site over the years, but pre-emptively warning about Robin McBryde committing espionage on the national side is certainly up there!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

leinster23 wrote:
backrower8 wrote:It would be scurrilous if he let slip insights to a welsh coaching mate before a RWC QF, for example, yes.

Like Felipe and Lancaster?
Or Schmidt or Plumtree or Farrell or Feek or Kiss or Smal
I have Bumbleflex
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Is this a case of "I'm not a racist I just hate the..... (insert race here)
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Is it not why we are sending all our spies down South and up North?
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Was the original post re Robin McBride as a trojan horse not tongue in cheek? Certainly that was my impression when I got to the last sentence about Daddy and Baby Faz exchanging notes while passing the salt at the dinner table. Maybe we need to dial this discussion down a couple of notches.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Ah if only that was the original post......
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

johng wrote:Is this a case of "I'm not a racist I just hate the..... (insert race here)
It’s a fair cop. You know me so well.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

wixfjord wrote:There have been some weird takes on this site over the years, but pre-emptively warning about Robin McBryde committing espionage on the national side is certainly up there!
Easy on the tequilas!