Leinster Scrum Coach

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Leinster Scrum Coach

Post by mildlyinterested »

So if expected and John Fogarty moves to Ireland, who would you like to replace him at Leinster?

There is a rather large task on hand for whoever the new scrum coach is:

1. improving consistency of Andrew Porter
2. developing Ed Byrne/Peter Dooley as european level scrummagers.
3. developing the young props in system - Vakh, Aungier, Milne & Clarkson.
4. returning the leinster scrum to a dominant set piece?

Two head candidates at the moment:

Peter Smyth(Leinster Head of Academy) - ex hooker
Mike Ross(Irish womens scrum coach) - ex TH prop

Any other ideas?
Last edited by mildlyinterested on March 27th, 2019, 11:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Re: Leinster Scrum Coach

Post by leinsterforever »

Ha, I dunno. Sure I wouldn't even know who's out there really. Caputo was good, I thought.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

leinsterforever wrote:Ha, I dunno. Sure I wouldn't even know who's out there really. Caputo was good, I thought.
Agreed on Caputo.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Adam Jones
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
colster
Knowledgeable

Post by colster »

riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

colster wrote:https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2019/012 ... ends-deal/
Aaron Dundon perhaps.
I'd be very happy with that. My impression is he's done a good job at Ulster with the resources available to him.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

riocard911 wrote:
colster wrote:https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2019/012 ... ends-deal/
Aaron Dundon perhaps.
I'd be very happy with that. My impression is he's done a good job at Ulster with the resources available to him.
I wouldn't be so sure, given they weren't great last year, major improvement has been since McFarland came in and he isn't being retained.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Yeah, how do we know Ulster's improvements aren't down to McFarland? He's an ex-front-rower. I think it was a bit similar with Lancaster and Fogarty actually. Leinster's scrum improved a fair bit once Lancaster came on board. So it'll be interesting to see how Fogarty fares on his own with Ireland.

I wonder how that guy Marc Dal Maso would work out. I've always been impressed by him since he turned the Japanese scrum around. I think he left Toulon a few months ago.
Leoslovechild
Mullet

Post by Leoslovechild »

Birch is available
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

leinsterforever wrote:Yeah, how do we know Ulster's improvements aren't down to McFarland? He's an ex-front-rower. I think it was a bit similar with Lancaster and Fogarty actually. Leinster's scrum improved a fair bit once Lancaster came on board. So it'll be interesting to see how Fogarty fares on his own with Ireland.

I wonder how that guy Marc Dal Maso would work out. I've always been impressed by him since he turned the Japanese scrum around. I think he left Toulon a few months ago.

For sure, McFarland has steadied the ship since he came in. That said for all involved at Ulster Rugby the 2017/2018 season was a cluster**** due to Jacko and Olding's court case and internal management problems.....
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

McFarland is definitely the catalyst for the improvement in Ulster scrum and maul. Unfortunately, IMO, the announced departure of Dundon strongly suggests that McFarland does not rate him.

Based on outcomes of last two Seasons, Jimmy Duffy and McFarland are the two most effective scrum coaches in Ireland at present - not counting Greg Feek. I do not believe that Fogs is as effective as either.

However, a forwards Coach needs to do more than scrum. Line-out, maul, breakdown and ball carrying are cumulatively every bit as important.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by leinsterforever

Yes please. I would love to have him in the Irish system regardless of which province. As for Dundon it would be a pass, if McFarland doesn't rate you then it's a no.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

According to one of the papers, can't remember which one or who wrote it - so pinch of salt, Leinster's two top candidates are Robin McBryde and Dan (son of Mike) Cron
I have Bumbleflex
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Dave Cahill wrote:According to one of the papers, can't remember which one or who wrote it - so pinch of salt, Leinster's two top candidates are Robin McBryde and Dan (son of Mike) Cron

Wow two pretty interesting candidates there.
Cron is currently at the Canes, can't say I've ever thought their scrum was anything other than adequate, but he has some serious pedigree!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

There are two really strong contenders from Club Rugby land that Leinster should consider. Both have been around the block and are admired by the players they played with who have stayed in the Pro game. Neither would be any sort of "risk" as they are technically very strong (Full Coaching Badges etc) and experienced and relatively successful with their Clubs.

Huge Maguire (TCD) and James Blaney (Terenure). Neither of these guys has the opportunity to work with many top-class players but both have developed many players to become good professionals. Blaney played hooker for Terenure and then Leinster & Munster. Maguire played for both TCD and St Marys. Both have 10 years plus coaching at the top of the Club game in Ireland. Well worth an Interview, IMO.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Ruckedtobits wrote:There are two really strong contenders from Club Rugby land that Leinster should consider. Both have been around the block and are admired by the players they played with who have stayed in the Pro game. Neither would be any sort of "risk" as they are technically very strong (Full Coaching Badges etc) and experienced and relatively successful with their Clubs.

Huge Maguire (TCD) and James Blaney (Terenure). Neither of these guys has the opportunity to work with many top-class players but both have developed many players to become good professionals. Blaney played hooker for Terenure and then Leinster & Munster. Maguire played for both TCD and St Marys. Both have 10 years plus coaching at the top of the Club game in Ireland. Well worth an Interview, IMO.

Hmmm I wonder if you’re on to something - Terenure announced recently that Blaney is leaving at the end of the season and are currently advertising for new coach.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... d-16139259

Wales forwards coach Robin McBryde looks odds on to join Leinster after the World Cup.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Wales forwards coach Robin McBryde
How do people rate this guy? If he's stayed that long in the Welsh job then he's obviously highly thought of. Seems like an excellent appointment if true
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

sunshiner1 wrote:
Wales forwards coach Robin McBryde
How do people rate this guy? If he's stayed that long in the Welsh job then he's obviously highly thought of. Seems like an excellent appointment if true
On occasions he's made the Welsh pack (especially the scrum) much better than they deserve to be due to their constituent parts.

Then again on other occasions Ireland have swamped them. So I don't really know. Plus I have a horrible habit of underestimating the Welsh national team due to their domestic form.
Anyone But New Zealand
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

it's a clear step down, from forwards coach of a national team to scrum coach for a top tier club.

Hopefully he is good at working with and developing young props.
Last edited by mildlyinterested on April 17th, 2019, 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.