Re: Leinster v Toulouse Sunday April 21st 3.15

Post by Dave Cahill »

Unless we sign another player of their nationality profile
I have Bumbleflex
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

mildlyinterested wrote:The most worrying aspect of the last few weeks is how hard we have to work for our scores and how easy the opposition are getting theirs. hopefully the return of Sexton et al. changes that.
I'm not really worried about this to be honest as we haven't had our first team out on the park during any of this.

My real worry is that we are relying on quite a few players who haven't played together in some times (and in some cases haven't played much, full stop) , geling together quickly against a strong team who have been playing together consistently and consistently well. I think that's a big ask, not impossible for these players, but a big ask non the less.

I'm worried because we have no form from these players as a team and I can't help think of the old Johnny Giles line "you can't turn form on and off like a tap".

Anyway, Leo ant Stuart haven't let us down thusfar so I'm sure they know what they're doing. That and home advantage will hopefully see us through.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

For me, Lowe has to play. Given Toner, Ryan and Ruddock will be there from the start, the question is really about Fardy Vs Gibson Park on the bench. I have more faith in the young second row options personally, so I'd leave Fardy out this time. That may sound like heresy to some though.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

CiaranIrl wrote:For me, Lowe has to play. Given Toner, Ryan and Ruddock will be there from the start, the question is really about Fardy Vs Gibson Park on the bench. I have more faith in the young second row options personally, so I'd leave Fardy out this time. That may sound like heresy to some though.
Unless Molony is suddenly over his back issues and cleared fit, there are no young second row options registered.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

mildlyinterested wrote:
CiaranIrl wrote:For me, Lowe has to play. Given Toner, Ryan and Ruddock will be there from the start, the question is really about Fardy Vs Gibson Park on the bench. I have more faith in the young second row options personally, so I'd leave Fardy out this time. That may sound like heresy to some though.
Unless Molony is suddenly over his back issues and cleared fit, there are no young second row options registered.
Also, did anyone see any pics of JGP on Monday at training? If he's injured then the problem is solved and we just have to cross our finger on HOS
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

5th game this season that Sexton/Henshaw/Ringrose start together. Previous 4 were in September/October.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

neill_m wrote:In regards to Sunday's game, Toulouse are in better form than Leinster. They score a lot but also concede a lot in the T14. An average game for them is 28-20 scoring 3 tries, conceding 2. Paddy Power currently have Leinster as 7 points favourites. I think this sounds about right, home country advantage will be key. Toulouse have never won a Heineken QF/SF in Ireland coupled with the unpredictability of the mindset of French sides when they have to travel outside their country. Should be a good watch and I will be able to see it as it is on Channel 4.
still a lot of tickets available for sunday when looking at ticketmaster. surprised by that...thought it would have been a sell out. maybe toulouse fans aren't travelling?
I think you are right about the home advantage....but...what worries me is that their off loading style of game...which is high risk and reflects their average score per game...but it is working. one of the best tries in the pool stages was their winning try at home against us when they intercepted and a few hail marys later scored the winning try. they are on for the double and deservedly so.
My preference would be to see Lowe and JGP named for sunday..fardy is brilliant but I think Lowe would give us an edge in the back line which we need.

my prediction for the weekend.
Wins for clermont, rochelle , leinster and saracens.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

MylesNaGapoleen wrote:
neill_m wrote:In regards to Sunday's game, Toulouse are in better form than Leinster. They score a lot but also concede a lot in the T14. An average game for them is 28-20 scoring 3 tries, conceding 2. Paddy Power currently have Leinster as 7 points favourites. I think this sounds about right, home country advantage will be key. Toulouse have never won a Heineken QF/SF in Ireland coupled with the unpredictability of the mindset of French sides when they have to travel outside their country. Should be a good watch and I will be able to see it as it is on Channel 4.
still a lot of tickets available for sunday when looking at ticketmaster. surprised by that...thought it would have been a sell out. maybe toulouse fans aren't travelling?
I think you are right about the home advantage....but...what worries me is that their off loading style of game...which is high risk and reflects their average score per game...but it is working. one of the best tries in the pool stages was their winning try at home against us when they intercepted and a few hail marys later scored the winning try. they are on for the double and deservedly so.
My preference would be to see Lowe and JGP named for sunday..fardy is brilliant but I think Lowe would give us an edge in the back line which we need.

Toulouse at most would be bringing 2 thousand, but I reckon it will be closer to 1 thousand.
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Looks like they will do well to get 35,000 into the stadium. It's good enough for the ERC.
Leoslovechild
Mullet

Post by Leoslovechild »

MylesNaGapoleen wrote:

Seriously believ Fardy has to be in the 23 along with Lowe so that leaves JGP out IMO.Also wonder if Ferg will start on the other wing or Adam or Jordan?Have a suspicion Adam could be out with Ferg starting and Jordan at 23
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

the spoofer wrote:Looks like they will do well to get 35,000 into the stadium. It's good enough for the ERC.
Lowest attendance for a Leinster game in the Aviva to my knowledge was 38,500 for Quins a few years back which was a pool stage.

There will be north of 40k there this weekend. Good weather will bring out a lot of people
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

many leinster fans aren't going, much the same as last season.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

mildlyinterested wrote:many leinster fans aren't going, much the same as last season.
Last season when there was 48k in the Aviva for the semi?
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

There is no way I can see us leaving out Fardy (meaning no second row cover on the bench most likely, unless Molony is fit) or JGP (meaning HOS on the bench).

Lowe would be great to have and would start, but we have 3-4 guys who can play on the wing instead of him.
We need the other two.

Now JGP being unfit would change things.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:
MylesNaGapoleen wrote:

Toulouse at most would be bringing 2 thousand, but I reckon it will be closer to 1 thousand.
Heard it mentioned that there were 600 from Toulouse (I assume official sales through the club - could be more here). Also heard 40k total sales so far. Think it will only be a bit more
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

wixfjord wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:many leinster fans aren't going, much the same as last season.
yep, it's understandable given the day/time.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

The Doc wrote:
Heard it mentioned that there were 600 from Toulouse (I assume official sales through the club - could be more here). Also heard 40k total sales so far. Think it will only be a bit more
I reckon the final figure will be closer to 45,000 which is respectable enough. Obviously a sell out would be nicer but with so few travelling fans and it being a long weekend with many people taking a mini break etc it's not the end of the world
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

wixfjord wrote:There is no way I can see us leaving out Fardy (meaning no second row cover on the bench most likely, unless Molony is fit) or JGP (meaning HOS on the bench).

Lowe would be great to have and would start, but we have 3-4 guys who can play on the wing instead of him.
We need the other two.

I was just thinking that I wouldn't be shocked if DK got the start regardless of JGP's fitness. Dave has played well recently and obviously played in the QF (and came up with a huge moment with the Stockdale dropped ball) and then last week's back three selection had the look of us trying to prepare for this week. I'm not 100% certain that that would change if JGP was injured.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

mildlyinterested wrote:
wixfjord wrote:
yep, it's understandable given the day/time.
But my point was the stadium was nearly full for the semi last season!

So if many Leinster fans aren't going on Sunday, then that will be different to Scarlets last year.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
wixfjord wrote:There is no way I can see us leaving out Fardy (meaning no second row cover on the bench most likely, unless Molony is fit) or JGP (meaning HOS on the bench).

We need the other two.

I was just thinking that I wouldn't be shocked if DK got the start regardless of JGP's fitness. Dave has played well recently and obviously played in the QF (and came up with a huge moment with the Stockdale dropped ball) and then last week's back three selection had the look of us trying to prepare for this week. I'm not 100% certain that that would change if JGP was injured.
Maybe so, but if JGP is out, then I just don't see us wanting to leave out the attacking threat of Lowe, for all of DK's form. He just offers so much going forward. It's a moot point though until we find out if that knee brace rumour was true!