A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Blueberry
Mullet

Re: Leinster v Toulouse Sunday April 21st 3.15

Post by Blueberry »

artaneboy wrote:
hugonaut wrote:
cormac wrote:I think today confirmed it (not that it probably needed to) but Gibson-Park has to take up one of the non-European slots for the semi-final. Unfortunately O'Sullivan isn't near the required level yet
Not a shadow of a doubt.

Getting as much exposure at Pro14 level almost certainly wasn't on the cards for Hughie this season, and at times he has struggled a bit. I've seen improvement in his game though – his pass is much quicker through the air and he moves better ruck-to-ruck than he did for the U20s.

By all accounts he's a really diligent guy, very bright and focused, and I think the fact that he played a lot of rugby at fullback [and was really good there] is a big positive ... it's encouraging to think that when he gets more comfortable at this level, that he is capable of opening up and not playing so rigidly. I think this year will stand to him in the medium term, but at the moment he's not at the standard we're looking for.

Dave Kearney is playing some of the best rugby of his career at the moment, so I'm happy to see him start at No11. There's no sign of Ross Molony, and with Mick Kearney out for the rest of the season we don't have any second rows in our EPCR squad outside Toner, Ryan and Fardy. So it's tough on Lowe, but it's the way it's got to be.
All totally logical and reasonable on the second row and scrum half scenarios- but without Lowe we lack cutting edge. Dave is a stalwart and is in good form- but he’s no Jo-Lo. I think we need to get Lowe on the field- somehow.

I do agree we cannot risk Hugh yet; although I thought he was good- if a little raw yesterday. So Jamie is on the panel - on whom incidentally I thought his passing was a little ropey at time yesterday.

So it’s the second row where we need to look at options. For instance if Rhys fills in there as the replacement option. Not ideal, but he’d give us a very diligent, robust and energetic 20- 30 minutes. A back-row suite of Seanie, Conan and Deegan/ Doris allows that. That offers good coverage on most the skill sets. Not ideal or fair to Fardy, but he draws the short straw this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think Fardy will be in the 23 - he is too good and a big game guy - do they go with Ryan & Toner in the row with Fardy benching or do they start Ryan & Toner in the row and Fardy plays backrow from the start.

Perhaps Ryan / Toner & Ruddock/Conan/Fardy with Deegan and O'Brien Benching ?? Lots to like about that ??

Personally I'd love to see Deegan start - he deserves it.

Argument for Toner, Ryan with a back row Fardy, Conan and Deegan and Ruddock and O'Brien Benching ?? Lots to like about that too !!

Or Ryan/Toner & backrow of Ruddock, Conan and Deegan and Fardy and O'Brien benching.

Or Ryan/Toner & backrow of Ruddock, Conan and O'Brien and Fardy and Deegan benching.

Decisions decisions !!

The 2 from 3 thing is a pain mind you.....as RPG, Fardy and JLO all should be starting !!
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Leinster v Toulouse Sunday April 21st 3.15

Post by artaneboy »

Blueberry wrote:
artaneboy wrote:
hugonaut wrote: Not a shadow of a doubt.

Getting as much exposure at Pro14 level almost certainly wasn't on the cards for Hughie this season, and at times he has struggled a bit. I've seen improvement in his game though – his pass is much quicker through the air and he moves better ruck-to-ruck than he did for the U20s.

By all accounts he's a really diligent guy, very bright and focused, and I think the fact that he played a lot of rugby at fullback [and was really good there] is a big positive ... it's encouraging to think that when he gets more comfortable at this level, that he is capable of opening up and not playing so rigidly. I think this year will stand to him in the medium term, but at the moment he's not at the standard we're looking for.

Dave Kearney is playing some of the best rugby of his career at the moment, so I'm happy to see him start at No11. There's no sign of Ross Molony, and with Mick Kearney out for the rest of the season we don't have any second rows in our EPCR squad outside Toner, Ryan and Fardy. So it's tough on Lowe, but it's the way it's got to be.
All totally logical and reasonable on the second row and scrum half scenarios- but without Lowe we lack cutting edge. Dave is a stalwart and is in good form- but he’s no Jo-Lo. I think we need to get Lowe on the field- somehow.

I do agree we cannot risk Hugh yet; although I thought he was good- if a little raw yesterday. So Jamie is on the panel - on whom incidentally I thought his passing was a little ropey at time yesterday.

So it’s the second row where we need to look at options. For instance if Rhys fills in there as the replacement option. Not ideal, but he’d give us a very diligent, robust and energetic 20- 30 minutes. A back-row suite of Seanie, Conan and Deegan/ Doris allows that. That offers good coverage on most the skill sets. Not ideal or fair to Fardy, but he draws the short straw this time.

I think Fardy will be in the 23 - he is too good and a big game guy - do they go with Ryan & Toner in the row with Fardy benching or do they start Ryan & Toner in the row and Fardy plays backrow from the start.

Perhaps Ryan / Toner & Ruddock/Conan/Fardy with Deegan and O'Brien Benching ?? Lots to like about that ??

Personally I'd love to see Deegan start - he deserves it.

Argument for Toner, Ryan with a back row Fardy, Conan and Deegan and Ruddock and O'Brien Benching ?? Lots to like about that too !!

Or Ryan/Toner & backrow of Ruddock, Conan and Deegan and Fardy and O'Brien benching.

Or Ryan/Toner & backrow of Ruddock, Conan and O'Brien and Fardy and Deegan benching.

Decisions decisions !!

The 2 from 3 thing is a pain mind you.....as RPG, Fardy and JLO all should be starting !!
We can all agree it’s a pain. But I think we can plug the Fardy shaped hole than the Lowe shaped one...
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Three into two won't go is a no brainer.
Leo was a second row, Stuart was a wing forward.
They'll pick Fardy.
Add in that old cliche, forwards win matches etc.
Add in the fact that we sorted out their pack twice already this season.
They'll pick Fardy.
Tough on Lowe but there's always next season.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Oldschool wrote:Three into two won't go is a no brainer.
They'll pick Fardy.
They'll pick Fardy.
They'll also pick Fardy for his leadership qualities, which for a k.o. match of this dimension we are in greater need of, without Isa, than Lowe's "x-factor".
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

So based on yesterday we might see:
Healy, Cronin, Furlong, Ryan, Toner, Rhys, SOB, Conan, McGrath, Sexton, DK, Henshaw, Ringer, Larmour, RK
Byrne, Tracy, Porter, Fardy, Deegan, JGP, Byrne, Tomane

A Byrne was carrying a knock right at the end so not sure he'll play.

I'm assuming Furlong & JGP are both fit.

Porter probably edges Bent and Byrne edges Jack for me.

Tomane looked really good yesterday and has really benefitted from games. Could be a very handy 23 option for us towards the end of the season since he covers both centre positions and winger.

Overall that's a solid side with a good bit of bench impact to bring on. Fardy will be absolutely key.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Toulouse currently playing Clermont at home on Sky Sports Action.

They've a fairly full strength side out. Currently 13-9 up with 29 gone.
leinster23
Bookworm

Post by leinster23 »

wixfjord wrote:So based on yesterday we might see:
Healy, Cronin, Furlong, Ryan, Toner, Rhys, SOB, Conan, McGrath, Sexton, DK, Henshaw, Ringer, Larmour, RK
Byrne, Tracy, Porter, Fardy, Deegan, JGP, Byrne, Tomane

A Byrne was carrying a knock right at the end so not sure he'll play.

I'm assuming Furlong & JGP are both fit.

Porter probably edges Bent and Byrne edges Jack for me.

Tomane looked really good yesterday and has really benefitted from games. Could be a very handy 23 option for us towards the end of the season since he covers both centre positions and winger.

Overall that's a solid side with a good bit of bench impact to bring on. Fardy will be absolutely key.
I'd swap SOB and Deegan but other than I'd agree with that.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Oldschool wrote:Three into two won't go is a no brainer.
They'll pick Fardy.
They'll pick Fardy.
We certainly “sorted out their pack” in the RDS; it was more even over there. I don’t think that Leo and Lancaster will make a judgement based simply on their own playing experience.

I get the argument for including Fardy. You may be right that the lads will make a forward-focused decision- and I hope that works. I’d generally go that way myself. But I’m worried by the banality of our attack.

"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

wixfjord wrote:Toulouse currently playing Clermont at home on Sky Sports Action.

Joe Tekori with a horror of a high tackle on the Clermont hooker. Penalty try but inexplicably only a yellow; Clermont hooker stretchered over, seriously injured. Haven't seen as clear a red card since Hoeata clotheslined Kearney a number of years ago. Poite making dreadful hometown decisions.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Zack Holmes gone off with a HIA too.

Kolbe scored an absolute belter. Will be some job keeping him quiet next weekend.
tingman
Graduate

Post by tingman »

Toulouse are a bloody good side.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Final score: Toulouse 47-44 Clermont. Toulouse having come back from behind to win at the death.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

hugonaut wrote:
wixfjord wrote:Toulouse currently playing Clermont at home on Sky Sports Action.

Joe Tekori with a horror of a high tackle on the Clermont hooker. Penalty try but inexplicably only a yellow; Clermont hooker stretchered over, seriously injured. Haven't seen as clear a red card since Hoeata clotheslined Kearney a number of years ago. Poite making dreadful hometown decisions.
Stonewall red. Will be cited? Should be .. but I think not.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

desperado wrote:Stonewall red. Will be cited? Should be .. but I think not.

I think he will be. It wasn't inconsequential, your man was stretchered off.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

tingman wrote:Toulouse are a bloody good side.
they're not lots of points clear of the rest in the top 14 for the craic! to paraphrase POM.

didn't catch the top14 game today, but, have been nervous about next weeks game for quite a while. Toulouse are a class side with lots of quality..dupont, kolbe are two of my favourites to watch. savage.
forecast is for a warm sunny day in dublin with not much rain during the week.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

It's brilliant how DK has come back into form this year. He really has been one of our best backs.
I'd love to start Lowe but happy to have DK's experience and nous on the field next Sunday.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

hugonaut wrote:
desperado wrote:Stonewall red. Will be cited? Should be .. but I think not.

I think he will be. It wasn't inconsequential, your man was stretchered off.
I agree Hugo; but I'd have my doubts about a French citing (I assume it's a T14 citing commisioner). It was hard to watch the replays - v. nasty injury.
VGE
Graduate

Post by VGE »

Tekori will probably be cited, there is no reason to avoid him a red card, but Poite.

Au revoir.
(...) je souhaite que la Providence veille sur la France, pour son bonheur, pour son bien et pour sa grandeur. Au revoir !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9PjBgWO ... ata_player
JohnB
Graduate

Post by JohnB »

Not only did Tekori hit him in the head with his shoulder he also seemed to hold onto his arm on the ground which appears to have contributed to his shoulder damage. I’ll be amazed if he is not cited.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Just seen it on Youtube. How was that not a red? That was shocking :shock:

Would love to hear the reasons they talked that down to a yellow