Leinster v Toulouse Sunday April 21st 3.15

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

matt
Graduate

Re: Leinster v Toulouse Sunday April 21st 3.15

Post by matt »

Toulouse front five and Tekori will be blowing hard after 30 mins like in January. Their level of conditioning is very poor for a team at this stage of the competition. My only hesitation is that Seanie great player that he was must show he can still get around the field effectively otherwise there will no option but to bring Deegan in early.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Run them absolutely ragged...................that is an enormous pack, the faster the game the better. If Seanie can find one half of memory muscle performance and empty the tank Deegan can come on in the second and go mental.......

So much depends on Luke getting quick ball, endless round the corner carries in the first half from Ryan, Furlong, Healy, O'Brien, Toner and then use Conan, Cronin and Ruddock in the slightly wider channels. Make Toulouse tackle to a standstill and it's our game.

Tempo is everything. Our backs are good enough defensively to keep their backs quiet assuming they don't have masses of ball.

Can't wait now.........
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

matt wrote:Toulouse front five and Tekori will be blowing hard after 30 mins like in January. Their level of conditioning is very poor for a team at this stage of the competition. My only hesitation is that Seanie great player that he was must show he can still get around the field effectively otherwise there will no option but to bring Deegan in early.
I hope you are right about the front five running out of juice. No doubt they will be gunning for big hits on luke. In the same breath...Lowe in, for me, is a big plus...he will relish this. Stlil nervous about sunday...less so now that I have seen their lineup.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

MylesNaGapoleen wrote:
matt wrote:Toulouse front five and Tekori will be blowing hard after 30 mins like in January. Their level of conditioning is very poor for a team at this stage of the competition. My only hesitation is that Seanie great player that he was must show he can still get around the field effectively otherwise there will no option but to bring Deegan in early.
I hope you are right about the front five running out of juice. No doubt they will be gunning for big hits on luke. In the same breath...Lowe in, for me, is a big plus...he will relish this. Stlil nervous about sunday...less so now that I have seen their lineup.
Although two of the Toulouse back-row are exactly the sort of players who will target Luke, I believe that Toulouse have selected the wrong team to play Leinster.

IMO, they have selected a team to stop Leinster doing what they did to Toulouse in the RDS, rather than concentrating on being better than Leinster with the ball in hand from 1 to 15.

I agree with the view that this pack will run out of juice, but only if we have the ball and we set the tempo. Toulouse have selected a team to play stop-go rugby and put in a big defensive performance. This is particularly the case in mid-field and with their 6 / 2 bench split. In particular, watch for the number of breaks in play they create by players claiming injury. Some French media noted that the 2nd half against Clermont took 55 mins, elapsed time to complete.

I hope the Leinster line-out functions properly. I hope our front-five survives in the scrums. if we can do that and tackle Fuamuina first-up EVERY time he carries, we will have a chance for our mid-field, particularly Ringrose to exploite the space that will exist because of their back-row and centre selections.

Larmour must live in Kolbe's boots. He is a game-breaker and will have RK tackling air, if he gets a one-on-one with our full back.

Leinster can win this, but to do so we need possession, ideally much better than 50% split. A hard afternoon beckons, but if it's a dogfight, I expect us to emerge as winners.
Bystander

Post by Bystander »

Long time reader. Watch alot of rugby.

There's alot of arrogance on this thread, I had to pop in. I'm a leinster fan.

Talk of forwards tiring and "run them ragged" .... "They're going to be blowing".."ntmack barely shaving".Christ... You're all listening to Dowie too much.

This Toulouse team is playing arguably the best rugby in European club history. Maybe Giteau and wilkinson and Felipe and bod had things running at a par at their peak. I can cite many examples but no team would have loved with Clermont last week with this on the horizon. They are in PHENOMENAL shape. Tekori should be banned but he's playing the best rugby of his life and he was never amazing. He is this season. These players have it all for this weekend. Belief, the bodies, the form and the talent.

This is a 5050 only because it's in the Aviva. Leinster combos out of sync and McGrath not on form. The legend Johnny has very little time recently and I can see larmour being skinned alive on his wing unfortunately.

This will be one of leinsters best ever wins given the circumstances...if they win. But for god's sake stop the sh*the talk if you haven't been watching Toulouse.
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
MylesNaGapoleen wrote:

There is only one way Toulouse can win this game and that is to make it as stop start as possible and retain possession themselves. Ritchie Gray is the only starter who did not play in the rds in January and their pack are nowhere near as fit as ours provided we dominate possession as it is much easier on the lungs when you hold the ball.

Sexton and Ruddock should be aware if they try and take breaks with lots of injuries and mention to the ref when required.

We should look to keep the ball in play for as long as possible and let the difference in fitness tell. If we do we will win by a big margin.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Porter has a "small issue" according to Leo.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

cormac wrote:Porter has a "small issue" according to Leo.
Needs to get bigger?
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

Bystander wrote:Long time reader. Watch alot of rugby.
Wouldn’t agree we are cocky
Most posters are very worried about tomorrow it are pointing out way win which we think we can win.

Talk of forwards tiring and "run them ragged" .... "They're going to be blowing".."ntmack barely shaving".Christ... You're all listening to Dowie too much.

This Toulouse team is playing arguably the best rugby in European club history. Maybe Giteau and wilkinson and Felipe and bod had things running at a par at their peak. I can cite many examples but no team would have loved with Clermont last week with this on the horizon. They are in PHENOMENAL shape. Tekori should be banned but he's playing the best rugby of his life and he was never amazing. He is this season. These players have it all for this weekend. Belief, the bodies, the form and the talent.

This is a 5050 only because it's in the Aviva. Leinster combos out of sync and McGrath not on form. The legend Johnny has very little time recently and I can see larmour being skinned alive on his wing unfortunately.

This will be one of leinsters best ever wins given the circumstances...if they win. But for god's sake stop the sh*the talk if you haven't been watching Toulouse.
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

Wouldn’t agree that we are cocky. Most posters are very worried But are highlighting ways in which we think I we can win.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Blue not red blood wrote:Wouldn’t agree that we are cocky. Most posters are very worried But are highlighting ways in which we think I we can win.
It's HCC rugby form against Toulouse that is the best indicator for the outcome.
If we show up tomorrow then we will win ni matter what Toulouse do.
The only ? tomorrow for us is a lack of game time together for our team.
Just like everyone knew that if Saracens showed up today they would beat Munster.
If we win tomorrow the result of the final will be far less predictable whereas if Toulouse win tomorrow then Saracens will win the final, quite comfortably imho.
Reason being Toulouse pack won't be able to live with the Saracens pack.
Toulouse going for a 6/2 bench split says it all.
In a way it's a pity there isn't a 3/4 playoff as I reckon the Munster pack would make it interesting and the outcome would be close.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
leinster23
Bookworm

Post by leinster23 »

I think you're overhyping them a bit, to say they're playing the best club rugby in European history is nonsense. Plenty of former teams would beat them, and in a lot of cases quite comfortably. They're very good, but we did beat them comfortably with a weaker team earlier this season and only lost by one point away despite being miles off our best. They're a brilliant team and I won't be surprised at all if they win but they're nowhere near as good as you think they are.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

In some ways I agree with your views @Bystander, but I also consider that the majority of posters on this stream recognise how well Toulouse have been playing. However, we also are hopeful that Leinster can re-produce the form that we last showed when we played with a full team.

And that's the key to our hope and belief, we have played well enough to beat Toulouse twice this Season. Yes, we screwed up in Toulouse and gave them an intercept when in a position to score ourselves. So, we have played well enough to beat a Toulouse team who were playing well.

The key question is, can we do it again?
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Blue not red blood wrote:
Most posters are very worried about tomorrow it are pointing out way win which we think we can win.

In the course of their demolition of Munster today Austin Healy proclaimed Saracens are "the best rugby team on the planet". Any advances on the that?
Angelsea Angst
Bookworm

Post by Angelsea Angst »

What is the latest position on the tickets sold for this match. The Ricoh seemed quite empty today. I hope the Aviva will not look the same tomorrow.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

It’s a disgrace people getting excited and the like.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

riocard911 wrote:

In the course of their demolition of Munster today Austin Healy proclaimed Saracens are "the best rugby team on the planet". Any advances on the that?
First of all Bystander congrats on your first post after a long time lurking.

Tomorrow’s game like most could end in a number of ways and if we played poorly Toulouse could win they have plenty of talent in the back line, however, one of the main points of contributing to a forum is to give your honest views in advance (as you have also done) and not just comment with the benefit of hindsight. I would be more confident if we had leavy or van der flier fit, if we were not a bit undercooked but I believe we have a strong team out that will have too much fitness
and overall strength and ability.

I watched the January game again yesterday and the Toulouse front row and second rows were blowing hard, their fitness is poor and needs stop start games to give them a breather and it is usually not a great sign when you go 6 forwards on the bench knowing certain players won’t last more than about 50 mins.

Re Saracens they are a very good physical team and if we get there could go either way.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

welcome to the forum bystander.....and thanks for tempering the speculation about game plans. Im guilty as charged over the shaving comment. I was thinking that toulouse have gone for experience and physicality over flair (ntamacks on the bench..and I reckon we will see him in the last 30). In the same breath, there is a lot of understandable nervousness about tomorrow on here. rightly so...toulouse are not well clear at the top of the top 14 for the craic.
leinster23
Bookworm

Post by leinster23 »

riocard911 wrote:

In fairness if we beat Toulouse and then Saracens we'll have more than earned the fifth star.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Well you're a barrel of fun.....and for what it's worth have watched stacks of Toulouse this year, think you are bigging them up just a touch.....Top 14 is one thing, winning a European Cup another, we will see....