Leinster v Glasgow Sat 15.00 Eir

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Re: Leinster v Glasgow Sat 15.00 Eir

Post by hugonaut »

leinster23 wrote:Despite the loss it was nice to see the much-maligned Tomane and both Kearneys play well. Rob looked delighted when he scored his first try, it's been a long time since he last scored one and it was a nice moment.

SOB was pretty ineffective again, Deegan is in great form and should start next week.

Hopefully Furlong is alright. It's always annoying to lose at home but losing to a first choice Glasgow in a nothing game is hardly the end of the world.
DK has been playing really well since Christmas - he has got a run of games, hasn't picked up any injuries and has been delivering strong performances.

Tomane is beginning to show form. He was a good centre when he played for Montpellier ... we played them in the European Cup in back to back years and he caused us problems. You don't have to go all the way back to when he was playing winger in Australia to pick out good games from him.

He obviously had a hard time settling in, because he struggled pretty badly for the first part of the season and then got injured, but he was impressive today and is looking much more like the player I thought he'd be.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Kinda predictable, Glasgow looked really up for it. Going in behind at half time despite having the wind behind us was always gonna be tricky. Looked good at the start of the second half, front row change made a difference.

Good to see Henshaw and Toner get through it, we will need them next week and fingers crossed Furlong is fine. Deegan excellent again when he came on, he should start next week instead of O'Brien, really delighted at his constant improvement. Tomane much better and two fingers up to the naysayers, myself included. All about a result next Sunday now.
Last edited by Blueberry on April 13th, 2019, 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Oh and delighted we may well have Munster in the RDS for another kicking...in the semi !! Can't imagine they are too happy with us tonite....

But frankly who cares who we have as long as we send Toulouse packing, gonna take a serious performance next Sunday.....big week ahead for Leocastoropomi, now is when they earn the bucks.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Thought O’Brien played well, him and Doris basically took on most of the carrying on their own in the first half he didn’t have the luxury of Cronin, Furlong and Healy to assist him. I would be much happier about where he is with respect to next week after this performance. He is not the old SOB but on this performance he can put in a good shift for me.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

OTT wrote:Thought O’Brien played well, him and Doris basically took on most of the carrying on their own in the first half he didn’t have the luxury of Cronin, Furlong and Healy to assist him. I would be much happier about where he is with respect to next week after this performance. He is not the old SOB but on this performance he can put in a good shift for me.
He was solid enough today but for me Deegan just looks the donkeys ATM, won't be surprised though if O'Brien starts v Toulouse.
maps
Knowledgeable

Post by maps »

Perfect result.
Roll on next week
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

The policing of the offside rule has become a joke. Every side contravenes regularly. But Glasgow are constantly offside by at least a yard. Ridiculous at this stage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Fred Funk
Mullet

Post by Fred Funk »

Jack Dunne did really well, very athletic
Needs a bit of beef but it will come with time.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

artaneboy wrote:The policing of the offside rule has become a joke. Every side contravenes regularly. But Glasgow are constantly offside by at least a yard. Ridiculous at this stage.

They were offside from the second they stepped on the pitch. In the build up to Rob's second try I reckoned there was someone offside at every phase.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Thought it was a strange game, didn't feel like a 15 point loss. The second last try and the excellent conversions in tough conditions made it difficult for us and the intercept made it seem worse than it really was. Agree with the comments elsewhere about HOS not being ready for a big game yet but wouldn't be harsh on him with the intercept, we were under pressure deep in our own half and constantly going backwards so easy enough for a scrumhalf to throw a pass like that in the circumstances and it was well picked off. He needs to be quicker to the breakdown and more confident about the decisions he makes. It's very frustrating when he decides to break but hesitates and then gets swallowed up.

It's funny, SOB was fairly average and made a few mistakes but I thought it was his best game for ages and quite encouraging. He was far closer to the action today and just looked a lot sharper to me. Thought he was a lucky boy to get away with not being carded for his high tackle though, thought he very much led with the shoulder.

Robbie looked decent and thought Dev was excellent. I know he hasn't been out that long but he still looked so fit at the end, bent down and showed good hands a couple of times which was just really impressive for a 6'10" lock playing his first game in over two months.

Leo said that Furlong going off was just a precaution but I'm worried about him, didn't look great to me. Ross Byrne also seemed to be injured near the end, thought it was a broken wrist or something although he did play on tbf.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

cormac wrote:
artaneboy wrote:The policing of the offside rule has become a joke. Every side contravenes regularly. But Glasgow are constantly offside by at least a yard. Ridiculous at this stage.

They were offside from the second they stepped on the pitch. In the build up to Rob's second try I reckoned there was someone offside at every phase.
Yeah- we were in line (or close to it) for most of those phases. Blatant and deliberate; how Mitrea and (particularly) his assistants could ignore it, was baffling... and infuriating.

Gearzbox2
Knowledgeable

Post by Gearzbox2 »

Raggedy stuff for most of the 80 today sprinkled with some quality
Am I worried about next week like a few on here are....NO!!!
Few huge players to come back in for us in key positions and we’ll be ready for Toulouse

Back to today, I thought in the first half we struggled carrying the ball
Big difference when cronin, Healy and Furlong came in to help SOB out with carrying
I’m not sold on Josh Murphy to be honest, weak in contact in attack and Defence and not a great link player, just my opinion
Jack Dunne did well and Doris had his moments
SoB was ok, bit better, big call between him and Deegan next week

Worrying seeing JGP in a knee brace after, HOS nowhere near that level I’m afraid...he disappeared when we were in there 22 at one stage and we got counter rucked as a result
Robbie H ok, DK very good
Good to see Rob back scoring
I think back 3 next week will be that one today
FourMasters
Knowledgeable

Post by FourMasters »

OTT wrote:Thought O’Brien played well, him and Doris basically took on most of the carrying on their own in the first half he didn’t have the luxury of Cronin, Furlong and Healy to assist him. I would be much happier about where he is with respect to next week after this performance. He is not the old SOB but on this performance he can put in a good shift for me.
At the match, seemed to me that in the last 15 minutes that Doris put in a big shift too. Not just carries, but hiting rucks and slowing Glasgow ball. Nothing for the highlights, but it shows a bit of dog in a young player when the team is under the cosh and trying to claw back a result.
Young Jack Dunne also looked promising against a very good Glasgow team.
FourMasters
Knowledgeable

Post by FourMasters »

I travel down from Meath to get to matches - had no idea that I couldn't get a dart from Connolly southward. I walked over to Tara which was closed, and was about to walk on to Pearse St Station when I overheard others reading the notices say that Pearse was closed too. I have no idea what bus goes near the RDS, I followed blue scarves and hoped for the best.
I get umpteen emails from Leinster Rugby about the blue room and flogging gear - would have been nice got get a notification with "Dart closures" in the subject line.
leinster23
Bookworm

Post by leinster23 »

I thought Furlong looked okay, I had a pretty good view of it from where I was sitting on he looked badly hurt when he went down but once he got up he seemed ready to continue, there seemed to be a conversation between him and Bent before someone presumably told him to cop on and that next week was much more important. Bringing the first choice front row on at half time made a big difference, I did think Ed Byrne in particular was playing well though.

Even ignoring questions about SOB's form I think Deegan deserves to start anyway, he's been in brilliant form over the last few weeks. He's an outrageously talented player and he's really starting to show that. SOB just doesn't look the player he was. He's not getting over the gain line, he's not breaking tackles, he's not winning turnovers, he's not nailing his tackles or doing any of the other things we associate with him. Deegan looked much more dynamic when he came on. I think he can still have value as a sub but he looks done as a starter. I hope he proves me wrong but if we really pick on form (and to be fair Leo generally does, far more than most coaches) there's only one option for next week.

For two guys who were playing U20s last year Doris and Dunne looked very promising when they were surrounded by international players on both sides.

I don't think Ross was anywhere near his best either but to be fair I can't imagine that getting a yellow after two minutes would help.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

FourMasters wrote:I travel down from Meath to get to matches - had no idea that I couldn't get a dart from Connolly southward. I walked over to Tara which was closed, and was about to walk on to Pearse St Station when I overheard others reading the notices say that Pearse was closed too. I have no idea what bus goes near the RDS, I followed blue scarves and hoped for the best.
I get umpteen emails from Leinster Rugby about the blue room and flogging gear - would have been nice got get a notification with "Dart closures" in the subject line.
Yes- feel your pain; and to add a little to the transport whining. I travel up to matches also- but by car, no trains being close or regular enough.

Now It is no one in Leinster Rugby’s fault that the Ideal Homes was on in the Simmonscourt- taking the bulk of the car spaces- or that Merrion had a cricket match- or that there was a funeral in the Church of Ireland around the ground. Perfect storm for car parking. But two of those three were predictable. It would have nice to get an email on that and allow me to get parking (closer than Naas!) in time to see Ross sin-binned and Glasgow kick their first points. :-)

Certainly the Simmonscourt situation could have been communicated...

IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

artaneboy wrote:
FourMasters wrote:I travel down from Meath to get to matches - had no idea that I couldn't get a dart from Connolly southward. I walked over to Tara which was closed, and was about to walk on to Pearse St Station when I overheard others reading the notices say that Pearse was closed too. I have no idea what bus goes near the RDS, I followed blue scarves and hoped for the best.
Yes- feel your pain; and to add a little to the transport whining. I travel up to matches also- but by car, no trains being close or regular enough.

Now It is no one in Leinster Rugby’s fault that the Ideal Homes was on in the Simmonscourt- taking the bulk of the car spaces- or that Merrion had a cricket match- or that there was a funeral in the Church of Ireland around the ground. Perfect storm for car parking. But two of those three were predictable. It would have nice to get an email on that and allow me to get parking (closer than Naas!) in time to see Ross sin-binned and Glasgow kick their first points. :-)

It was.

Leinster sent an email on Friday.

Restricted Parking - Other events in the RDS

The RDS is hosting numerous other major events this Saturday. The Ideal Home Show will be in operation in the Simmonscourt grounds of the RDS, leading to a higher level of traffic on the roads and in the grounds, so please plan your journey in advance.

We would encourage all supporters to use public transport as there will be limited parking in the grounds and in the surrounding areas of the stadium.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

IanD wrote:
artaneboy wrote:

It was.

Leinster sent an email on Friday.

Restricted Parking - Other events in the RDS

The RDS is hosting numerous other major events this Saturday. The Ideal Home Show will be in operation in the Simmonscourt grounds of the RDS, leading to a higher level of traffic on the roads and in the grounds, so please plan your journey in advance.

We would encourage all supporters to use public transport as there will be limited parking in the grounds and in the surrounding areas of the stadium.
Missed that one... But in mitigation, you do get a blizzard of them around ST renewal time.

dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Blueberry wrote:Oh and delighted we may well have Munster in the RDS for another kicking...in the semi !! Can't imagine they are too happy with us tonite....

But frankly who cares who we have as long as we send Toulouse packing, gonna take a serious performance next Sunday.....big week ahead for Leocastoropomi, now is when they earn the bucks.

And it also looks like you'll have a relatively fresh Glasgow in Glasgow.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Johnny Gray with 41 tackles yesterday! I can't think of anyone ever making more than that, can anyone else?!