EPCR European Player of the Year 2019

Post by mildlyinterested »

EPCR European Player of the Year 2019 shortlist

Seán Cronin (Leinster Rugby)
Tadhg Furlong (Leinster Rugby)
Alex Goode (Saracens)
Garry Ringrose (Leinster Rugby)
Mako Vunipola (Saracens)

2018/19 panel of judges: Bryan Habana (Channel 4), Chris Jones (BBC Radio 5 Live), Mathieu Lartot (France Télévisions), Emmanuel Massicard (Midi Olympique), Brian O’Driscoll (BT Sport), Dimitri Yachvili (beIN SPORTS).
Experimental
Knowledgeable

Re: EPCR European Player of the Year 2019

Post by Experimental »

You'd have to imagine that its a shootout between Cronin and Vunipola, not sure if the others have done enough
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Experimental wrote:You'd have to imagine that its a shootout between Cronin and Vunipola, not sure if the others have done enough
It'll be a player who plays in the final you'd have to assume, Cronin unlikely at this stage unfortunately.
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

I think they've nominated the wrong Leinster prop. Healy has been outstanding this year. Not to take away from Furlong, fair play to him.

Mako Vunipola in with a very good shout regardless of the result I feel
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

James Ryan is strangely absent.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Ringer for me. Consistently brilliant.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Ryan or Vunipola or Healy for me....
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Ryan or Vunipola would be a good shout. Goode has also been brilliant for them throughout the campaign.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Ryan should be in there. Bit mad that he isn't!

I'd say Ringer might get it.
leinster23
Bookworm

Post by leinster23 »

Given that it will probably be from the winning team, Ringrose/Cronin for Leinster, Mako for Saracens, unless someone blows the doors off. Hopefully Cronin is fit though, he deserves it.

Ridiculous that James Ryan isn't there, it's hard to think of a game since his debut where he wasn't one of our best players, although the same largely goes for Ringrose as well.
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

jimbobjoe wrote:Ringer for me. Consistently brilliant.
...apart from the Ulster game.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

leinster23 wrote:Given that it will probably be from the winning team, Ringrose/Cronin for Leinster, Mako for Saracens, unless someone blows the doors off. Hopefully Cronin is fit though, he deserves it.

Ridiculous that James Ryan isn't there, it's hard to think of a game since his debut where he wasn't one of our best players, although the same largely goes for Ringrose as well.
Has to be Billy doonit?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Oldschool wrote:
leinster23 wrote:Given that it will probably be from the winning team, Ringrose/Cronin for Leinster, Mako for Saracens, unless someone blows the doors off. Hopefully Cronin is fit though, he deserves it.

Has to be Billy doonit?
Billy Cronin or Billy Ringrose??
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
Oldschool wrote:

Has to be Billy doonit?
Billy Cronin or Billy Ringrose??
Billy Ryan.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

Ringer has my vote, I wonder would billy of been nominated if he hadn’t of been up to no good on twitter. Thought he was outstanding in the few Saracens game I saw this year.
leinster23
Bookworm

Post by leinster23 »

Did he not miss the first half of the season with an injury? I think Mako has been better than him for a while anyway.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

The Panel of Judges is somewhat unbalanced in the absence of former international rugby forwards. However, I assume that the criteria for their selection is performances in EPCR games this Season, rather than performances in games played in Europe.(including Pro14 and Premiership Leagues). On this basis, I have little doubt that Vunipola has made more significant contributions to Saracens EPCR performances than any Leinster player has made to all of our EPCR performances. They are, after all, unbeaten to date, whereas we lost to Toulouse over there.

However, I believe that Ringrose has been a more important contributor to Leinster's performances than any other player on the list has made to their team's performances.
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

Don't really understand the point of only allowing players from the two teams in the final to be eligible for POTY- it's effictively a MOTM prize, no?!
I'd have someone like Cheslin Kolbe for example in the top nominees- he's been playing really well all season.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

kermischocolate wrote:Don't really understand the point of only allowing players from the two teams in the final to be eligible for POTY- it's effictively a MOTM prize, no?!
I'd have someone like Cheslin Kolbe for example in the top nominees- he's been playing really well all season.

I think they vote pre-final but yeah its very dumb that the winner has to be in the final.