Dan Leavy

Postby mildlyinterested » April 25th, 2019, 12:22 pm

Leavy had his first surgery done today.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwrRqfol1i8 ... hare_sheet
mildlyinterested
Brian O'Driscoll

Re: Dan Leavy

Postby arsebiscuits1 » April 25th, 2019, 12:28 pm

Despite Wexford bohs claims of otherwise...

Initially I was suprised it took so long but frequently you need a few weeks minimum for the swelling to go down. Josh was the same last year apparently.

Poor fella. Horrible injury to sustain and wish him the best in his rehab
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
arsebiscuits1
Enlightened

Postby glenageary » April 25th, 2019, 12:47 pm

I second that - I wish him all the best
glenageary
Enlightened

Postby Experimental » April 25th, 2019, 1:09 pm

Great to see him in such high spirits in that photo.
Experimental
Knowledgeable

Postby wexford bohs » April 25th, 2019, 1:51 pm

arsebiscuits1 wrote:Despite Wexford bohs claims of otherwise...

Initially I was suprised it took so long but frequently you need a few weeks minimum for the swelling to go down. Josh was the same last year apparently.

Without going into details his injury was so bad he actually did more damage to other parts of his leg, not just his knee. That's what my original post referred to. It is good to see him in good spirits. Hopefully he's able to make it back for some stage next season
wexford bohs
Beginner

Postby wixfjord » April 25th, 2019, 2:24 pm

wexford bohs wrote:

Without going into details his injury was so bad he actually did more damage to other parts of his leg, not just his knee. That's what my original post referred to. It is good to see him in good spirits. Hopefully he's able to make it back for some stage next season

You said he had already had two operations and wasn't at the game though?!
wixfjord
Rob Kearney

Postby Oldschool » April 25th, 2019, 2:32 pm

JVDF was on the late late around the time of his injury.
He also said that apart from the swelling issue he had to spend time building up (or toning, not sure) muscle in preparation for the op. This apparently helps with the post op. recovery.
Not having any medical background I don't know exactly what the thinking is but it would be interesting to hear in a general way (as opposed to Leavy specifically)how that works.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Shane Horgan

Postby Laighin Break » April 25th, 2019, 2:55 pm

Oldschool wrote:

JVDF was on the late late around the time of his injury.
He also said that apart from the swelling issue he had to spend time building up (or toning, not sure) muscle in preparation for the op. This apparently helps with the post op. recovery.
Not having any medical background I don't know exactly what the thinking is but it would be interesting to hear in a general way (as opposed to Leavy specifically)how that works.

Yep when I did my ACL I had to build the muscles up before the op as they waste away really quickly once the ligament is torn.
Laighin Break
Enlightened

Postby backrower8 » April 25th, 2019, 4:55 pm

I heard that the operation was done in London and that the earliest they think he will be back, if he does, is September of 2020. That’s through the Michael’s channel, someone close to the Leavy Family. Fingers crossed.
backrower8
Enlightened

Postby Lar » April 25th, 2019, 6:40 pm

Laighin Break wrote:
Oldschool wrote:JVDF was on the late late around the time of his injury.

Yep when I did my ACL I had to build the muscles up before the op as they waste away really quickly once the ligament is torn.

Same for me. Prehab is what my physio called it. Thankfully I did it well enough that my post op recovery was pretty quick.
Four Stars
Lar
Mullet

Postby rooster » April 26th, 2019, 11:09 am

backrower8 wrote:I heard that the operation was done in London and that the earliest they think he will be back, if he does, is September of 2020. That’s through the Michael’s channel, someone close to the Leavy Family. Fingers crossed.
That would actually sound reasonable compared to other players who have had knee reconstruction, coming back too soon can also lead to hamstring injuries so when you have waited over 12 months another month or 2 is well worth the wait.
rooster
Malcolm O'Kelly

Postby roarlad » July 1st, 2019, 4:38 pm

Rumors swirling today that Dan was seen in the gym doing leg curls.. :shock: :shock:
whether I believe it or not is another question... :? :roll:

either way, fingers crossed his quality of life is improving.
roarlad
Beginner

Postby blockhead » July 1st, 2019, 11:21 pm

roarlad wrote:Rumors swirling today that Dan was seen in the gym doing leg curls.. :shock: :shock:

I hate this thread.
I approach this thread with great trepidation.
Opening each new post with fingers and toes crossed.
I hope but I fear the worst.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Postby FLIP » July 1st, 2019, 11:30 pm

2 month post op with total availability to rehab, that sounds about right.
Anyone But New Zealand
FLIP
Mullet

Postby Laighin Break » July 2nd, 2019, 8:57 am

roarlad wrote:Rumors swirling today that Dan was seen in the gym doing leg curls.. :shock: :shock:

Funnily enough my Dad saw him in UCD gym doing leg curls. Though he was doing less than my dad can do on his bad leg, but it's still a start.
Laighin Break
Enlightened

Postby Morf » July 2nd, 2019, 4:30 pm

Single plane work isn't massively advanced.

It's effectively knee flexion with resistance.

It's the jumping/landing/high force stuff that's hugely more demanding - then changing direction after that.

Neither particularly good or bad sign really.
Morf
Cian Healy

Postby mildlyinterested » July 8th, 2019, 8:47 pm

You can see leavys knee uncovered with scars and all on rory o'loughlins Instagram story: https://www.instagram.com/rory_oloughlin/
mildlyinterested
Brian O'Driscoll

Postby Workhorse » July 12th, 2019, 1:38 pm

Morf wrote:Single plane work isn't massively advanced.

It's the jumping/landing/high force stuff that's hugely more demanding - then changing direction after that.

To basically echo this Leavys injury to put it in its most simplistic form basically doesn't impact forwards and backwards movement just power, up, down, left, right, etc. I think the actual list of injuries he had was posted here but there was also a greatly exaggerated list doing the rounds as well.
Workhorse
Beginner

Postby Barry » July 12th, 2019, 1:48 pm

Workhorse wrote:

To basically echo this Leavys injury to put it in its most simplistic form basically doesn't impact forwards and backwards movement just power, up, down, left, right, etc. I think the actual list of injuries he had was posted here but there was also a greatly exaggerated list doing the rounds as well.

always get nervous when I see a new post on this thread - no news is usually good news.
can't overstate how much Leinster & Ireland missed him last season - while VDF was brilliant, Leavy has that X factor that was badly lacking in the big games.
Barry
Knowledgeable

Postby rooster » July 17th, 2019, 10:13 am

Workhorse wrote:

100 percent correct, I did my ACL pre operation days and for years I could walk or run in straight lines, skied using a hinged support to stop sideways movement but frequently just turning round after closing a door would go in a heap on the floor, any non sports person can live normally without it as you do adopt ways round it but hard sideways pressure and almost 40 years later I still go in a heap.
rooster
Malcolm O'Kelly

Next

Return to Leinster Addicts