Leinster's Outhalves

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Leinster's Outhalves

Post by mildlyinterested »

Reading two recent interviews, one with Johnny Sexton[(https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 80725.html) and another with the Byrne brothers(https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 78427.html) left me thinking about this position going forward:

Senior
Johnny Sexton(34/St. Marys/St. Marys) - signed central contract until June 2021.
Ross Byrne(24/St. Michaels/UCD) - signed contract in 2017.
Ciaran Frawley(21/Skerries RFC/UCD) -graduated from academy in 2019.

Academy
Harry Byrne(20/St. Michaels/Lansdowne) - Academy Year 2
David Hawkshaw(20/Belvedere/Clontarf) - Academy Year 1/2

Sub-Academy
Paddy McKenzie(U20/Wicklow RFC/Old Wesley)
David Fitzgibbon(U20/Blackrock)

There is a clear no.1 and no.2 outhalf at leinster, but with Noel Reid leaving, i'd say Frawley is clearly 3rd choice 10, for now. The question is, do Leinster view him as a 10 long term or do they seem him filling a different role in the squad, 12 or 15?
Harry Byrne has looked very impressive for the 20's this season and could challenge for that 3rd outhalf position next season.
Unfortunately for Hawkshaw he is unlikely to play again in 2019 due to his knee injury.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Re: Leinster's Outhalves

Post by leinsterforever »

I'd like to see Frawley considered at fullback as well as outhalf just so he gets as much gametime as possible in the short and medium term. I could see him being deployed much as Carbery was. I'd certainly favour him at 15 over DK and Kelleher, who don't seem to have the same vision when it comes to supplying supporting players in space with possession on kick return.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Interesting that bar Hawkshaw all the outhalves on the books are of similar size, with Ross B being the least athletic and either Harry B or Frawley the most.

Johnny Sexton - 6'2, 91kg
Ross Byrne - 6'3, 91kg.
Ciaran Frawley - 6'2, 88kg
Harry Byrne - 6'2, 90kg
David Hawkshaw - 5'9, 84kg
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Underage outhalves:

David Fitzgibbon(U20/Blackrock College)
--
Justin Leonard(U19/Belvedere College)
Niall Carroll(U19/St. Michaels College)
David Wilkinsin(U19/Clongowes Wood College)
--
Eoin Quinn(U18/CBC Monkstown)
Charlie Tector(U18/Kilkenny College)
leinster23
Bookworm

Post by leinster23 »

Given that we're a bit short of fullbacks I'd like to see us give Frawley a decent amount of time there, which should also hopefully give Byrne Jr more time there in his first season.

Pity Noel is leaving, he's been useful when needed there this season.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

mildlyinterested wrote:Reading two recent interviews, one with Johnny Sexton[(https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 80725.html) and another with the Byrne brothers(https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 78427.html) left me thinking about this position going forward:

Senior
Johnny Sexton(34/St. Marys/St. Marys) - signed central contract until June 2021.
Ross Byrne(24/St. Michaels/UCD) - signed contract in 2017.
Ciaran Frawley(21/Skerries RFC/UCD) -graduated from academy in 2019.

Academy
Harry Byrne(20/St. Michaels/Lansdowne) - Academy Year 2
David Hawkshaw(20/Belvedere/Clontarf) - Academy Year 1/2

Sub-Academy
David Fitzgibbon(U20/Blackrock)

There is a clear no.1 and no.2 outhalf at leinster, but with Noel Reid leaving, i'd say Frawley is clearly 3rd choice 10, for now. The question is, do Leinster view him as a 10 long term or do they seem him filling a different role in the squad, 12 or 15?
Harry Byrne has looked very impressive for the 20's this season and could challenge for that 3rd outhalf position next season.
Unfortunately for Hawkshaw he is unlikely to play again in 2019 due to his knee injury.
What position did Skerries play at Skerries? Was he an outhalf?

I think he's a lovely outhalf, seems to glide across the pitch almost like Paul Dean. Byrne may be further down the road experience wise but I think Frawley has the potential to be world class.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Flash Gordon wrote:
What position did Skerries play at Skerries? Was he an outhalf?

I think he's a lovely outhalf, seems to glide across the pitch almost like Paul Dean. Byrne may be further down the road experience wise but I think Frawley has the potential to be world class.

played 10 all the way up until irish 20's.

i'd question his decision making which has led to interception and blocked kicks, but he is very inexperienced so plenty of time to improve that, if he can get game time.