Pro14 Final Glasgow v Leinster 18.30 Sat 25th May

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: Pro14 Final Glasgow v Leinster 18.30 Sat 25th May

Post by Oldschool »

This was one for the purists making the win all the more notable.
Our pack won the game but our backs backed them up with some great and brave defence.
Our bench really stepped up to the mark too, there was no fall off in performance.
Good luck to SOB and it was a great gesture by the team to leave him "stuck" with the cup for "lap of honour".
Best of luck to him.
Jack McGrath too deserves our gratitude, good luck Jack.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Great stuff from our pack. We really showed our experience and nous in tight games. I'd say there were a few memories of Bilbao coming into guys heads.

Thought we managed the 20 mins after HT really well. Ringers intercept really was a huge turning point. They were looking dangerous then.

As was said before the game, our pack was likely to win in arm wrestle, and so it showed. Glasgow are a brilliant, well drilled side but outside Grey didn't have the smarts from 4-10 that we did. Hastings is a great player but looked a bit lost at times in second half.

Thought we overdid the box kick slightly, but I think it was the right tactic. It was very rare that Glas caught a clean ball and most often we disrupted and batted it back (a tactic stolen from Sarries that we used a lot btw).

One worry for me is our attack. We again looked a bit devoid of ideas at times, particularly in the first half. I know in the second it was a game of possession and that was the right approach.

As has been said above, really impressed with Larmour's maturity yesterday. Defended very well and made the right decisions. Bodes well for him.

The Seanie trophy lift would bring a tear to a glass eye. Lovely moment.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Blueberry wrote:
artaneboy wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:Don't understand why he didn't help SOB
An over-used phrase, but hard to avoid; end of an era.

Home reared boys who came through the system- ‘youths’ and academy to be great for us and help to make us great. They’ll be missed.

I believe Jack will go on to have other very good (maybe even ‘’great’) days with the Nordies. But I feel more rueful/ melancholic for Sean. I hope I’m wrong, but I think that it will be hard for him at LI. He was a special player- and while it ended more with a whimper than a bang for him this last couple of seasons, he is a vital part of our heritage and story.

Anyway- really satisfying performance last night. The drizzle was drenching and in the circumstances our tactics were far better suited. The Parkhead crowd were mad with Nigel- aren’t Glasgow fans always a bit like that, but we were too far away down the Leinster goal end to make any judgement on whether it was the usual moaning at illegal play been actually reffed- or if they had a point. I suspect the former...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glasgow fans frustrated around us anyway, we physically were on top and managed the clock very well and Nigel copped it. He didn't have a great game but it didn't impact the outcome.
During that 30-phase sequence late in the second half it became obvious he was going to find a reason to give them a penalty. Isnt it amazing how often games he refs end up being so close?

He didnt have a disasterous game but Glasgow can have no reason to feel hard done by. Their fans booing means nothing, because they boo everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

The 50k question remaing regarding this result?
How is/are otb going to fill their rugby slot with 50 mins of wall to wall 'chat' about our southern brethren.
PS I won't be able to tell you because I won't be listening to it/them.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

Oldschool wrote:The 50k question remaing regarding this result?
How is/are otb going to fill their rugby slot with 50 mins of wall to wall 'chat' about our southern brethren.
agreed, as much as I like more exposure to rugby in the mejya, the amount of padding to fill up the shows is a little tiresome. too forced sometimes. fair enough, during the 6N there is usually a lot to talk about but if they trimmed the padding, they could release a 20-30 min otb. which is grand for the commute or daily grind.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

MylesNaGapoleen wrote:
Oldschool wrote:The 50k question remaing regarding this result?
agreed, as much as I like more exposure to rugby in the mejya, the amount of padding to fill up the shows is a little tiresome. too forced sometimes. fair enough, during the 6N there is usually a lot to talk about but if they trimmed the padding, they could release a 20-30 min otb. which is grand for the commute or daily grind.
Wednesday was particularly bad, hey Keith and Rurai I'm going to play you a clip from Andy Dunne on Monday queues up three minute clip about Munster to be followed by chat about Munster with a cursory glance to the final.

Also apparently Leinster are now a big money club compared to Munster per OTB, how's that now?
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

Congrats to Leinster- well deserving of the win (despite a lot of nonsense being spouted by Glasgow "fans" on social media). I thought you did to us what Sarries did to you in the Heineken Cup Final- absolutely smothered the life out of us and we were never going to win.

Thought RK was a red card every day of the week- he's in no position to challenge for the ball and Hogg lands on his neck and smashes his head on the ground.

Once in your seat Celtic Park is pretty good but the actual experience of the day was anything but. It's like Pro14 weren't expecting thousands of hungry and thirsty rugby fans to turn up! Having it the same day as the Scottish Cup Final meant an interesting walk back into town- no wonder they used Glasgow as a location to film a zombie horror film! But seriously- it wasn't that long ago 5k at a game was considered a decent attendance. Glasgow have never played in front of that many people before (obviously bolstered by a significant opposition support). Ideally it would be good to copy your model- most games in Scotstoun, have a couple of games in Celtic Park (for various reasons most suitable venue but especially as the pitch is big enough).

Hope everyone had safe travels.
Warriors2015

Post by Warriors2015 »

Congratulations all. Best team on the day won the game, and, hence, the Championship absolutely no doubt. You have a team that are very effective in nullifying opponents threats and taking chances when they come. Your phase play (whilst not pretty to watch :) ) is very very effective and normally ends in a score. We didn't turn up like we can. Given a dry day and with us clicking I suspect there would have been a different outcome . But, as I said no quibbles from me about the result.

I thought Nigel had a dreadful day to both sides. No longer, in my eyes, the best referee in the world. Early on, even I was commenting that we were getting away with our, ahem, line speed. Brown, probably should have been carded but I didn't see enough of it (big screen was rotten) to make a firm judgement. However I think Kearney got away with it. That was red to me all day, every day. Would it have made a difference? Kearney is not instrumental in Leinsters tactic of keeping hold of the ball for the last five minutes so I doubt it.

Now, the touchy (for me) subjects four 'fans'. First the booing. I hate it and Im not making excuses for it. Some of it yesterday was the time JS seemed to be taking with his kicks. Another part is, I think, some folks way of disagreeing with some decisions. I also think that there is a bit of it which is , kind of tongue in cheek. Over the last couple of years we have seen fans on some club forums giving us a bit of stick for it. Some of it justified, but some not (and, in fact, I believe for some clubs there is a little bit of pots and kettles, the most ironic being from those near the north of your island :? ) and I do know there are some of our fans who now just boo randomly as a way of basically poking their tongue out to the comments. As I said, I don't like it but it's difficult to see how we can get rid of it.

Secondly, about yesterday's fan group. We don't have 30k regular fans. That's the way it is in for a city (and country) that is obsessed by the round ball game (which in itself is ironic, cos were cr@p at that game :D ). To me that means that a fair chunk of those present yesterday were not, what I would call, rugby fans. Around me, the atmosphere was pretty good and there was a lot of friendly chat and banter going on. But, I'm led to believe there was some shocking behaviour which is dreadful to hear. I would like to think it is not representative of the vast majority of core Warrior fans. There will always be eejits but the stuff I've heard is, to say the least, disappointing and I'm sorry for anyone who had to witness it.

The venue was ok, but the organisation and catering was woeful. That needs to be addressed. As Kermi, said previously the idea of holding our game on the same day as the Football final was a poor one and I think the city and the organisers need to have report card with "could do better".

Once again, you don't gather the number of trophies you have without being pretty good at the game so very well done. Be warned though, we'll be back next year looking to rip the trophy off you.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

How brilliant has been the return of Josh van der Flier? Missed then Slam and the two blue trophy run-ins last season after crocking himself vs France. Comes back this season only to crock himself again and then breaks his little bollix to get back, reappears the weekend after we crash in Newcastle, puts in a MOTM performance vs the Southern cousins and energises the whole squad to ultimately overcome the loss of our European crown by successfully defending our Pro 14 one. Magnifique!!!!!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

While I can't account for the size of his nether regions, jvdf is 185cm and 105kg which ain't exactly little.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

riocard911 wrote:How brilliant has been the return of Josh van der Flier? Missed then Slam and the two blue trophy run-ins last season after crocking himself vs France. Comes back this season only to crock himself again and then breaks his little bollix to get back, reappears the weekend after we crash in Newcastle, puts in a MOTM performance vs the Southern cousins and energises the whole squad to ultimately overcome the loss of our European crown by successfully defending our Pro 14 one. Magnifique!!!!!
Exceptional v Munster and Glasgow. With no disrespect to SOB can't help but wonder if VDF had started in Newcastle things may well have been different, he had huge impacts v Munster and Glasgow.

On a side note how balanced looking and brilliant is the Ruddock, Conan and VDF back row combo. For me anyway it has to be our starting back row in the World Cup, it is a super combo. VDF has to start, Conan miles ahead of Stander at the moment and yes POM is a great lineout operator but Ruddock's work rate, tackling and abrasive carrying for me shades it.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

riocard911 wrote:How brilliant has been the return of Josh van der Flier? Missed then Slam and the two blue trophy run-ins last season after crocking himself vs France. Comes back this season only to crock himself again and then breaks his little bollix to get back, reappears the weekend after we crash in Newcastle, puts in a MOTM performance vs the Southern cousins and energises the whole squad to ultimately overcome the loss of our European crown by successfully defending our Pro 14 one. Magnifique!!!!!
And fair play to the backroom team to bring him back in such fine condition.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

How about those Byrne brothers coming on and playing side by side in a major final. Their first time right? :green clap: :green clap: :green clap:

Also, we're sending Nick McCarthy down to Munster with a shiny new winners medal in his back pocket. Just like we did with Joey and Conway.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

blockhead wrote:
And fair play to the backroom team to bring him back in such fine condition.
Gan dabht!!!! :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

kermischocolate wrote:Congrats to Leinster- well deserving of the win (despite a lot of nonsense being spouted by Glasgow "fans" on social media). I thought you did to us what Sarries did to you in the Heineken Cup Final- absolutely smothered the life out of us and we were never going to win.

Thought RK was a red card every day of the week- he's in no position to challenge for the ball and Hogg lands on his neck and smashes his head on the ground.

Once in your seat Celtic Park is pretty good but the actual experience of the day was anything but. It's like Pro14 weren't expecting thousands of hungry and thirsty rugby fans to turn up! Having it the same day as the Scottish Cup Final meant an interesting walk back into town- no wonder they used Glasgow as a location to film a zombie horror film! But seriously- it wasn't that long ago 5k at a game was considered a decent attendance. Glasgow have never played in front of that many people before (obviously bolstered by a significant opposition support). Ideally it would be good to copy your model- most games in Scotstoun, have a couple of games in Celtic Park (for various reasons most suitable venue but especially as the pitch is big enough).

I was mightily impressed to see the stadium filled so well and for the Pro14 to grow there needs to be other locations other than Aviva that will be filled for the final. Unfortunately where we were sitting we received very unsportsmanlike comments from some supporters, however authentic warrior fans apologized for the behavior and also had great craic with others. It would be great to see Glasgow get that turnout for some of their big European nights and in fairness there is no better stadium for that to happen
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Theleinsterlad wrote:
kermischocolate wrote:Congrats to Leinster- well deserving of the win (despite a lot of nonsense being spouted by Glasgow "fans" on social media). I thought you did to us what Sarries did to you in the Heineken Cup Final- absolutely smothered the life out of us and we were never going to win.

I was mightily impressed to see the stadium filled so well and for the Pro14 to grow there needs to be other locations other than Aviva that will be filled for the final. Unfortunately where we were sitting we received very unsportsmanlike comments from some supporters, however authentic warrior fans apologized for the behavior and also had great craic with others. It would be great to see Glasgow get that turnout for some of their big European nights and in fairness there is no better stadium for that to happen
Yep biggest crowd ever for a Pro14 final. Congrats to all involved. To the Pro14 and the rugby fans in Scotland, well done.
Hear is the BBC Radio Scotland commentary on the Kearney non red.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfvRabqeYJU
tingman
Graduate

Post by tingman »

blockhead wrote:
Theleinsterlad wrote:

Yep biggest crowd ever for a Pro14 final. Congrats to all involved. To the Pro14 and the rugby fans in Scotland, well done.
Just like the baying mob they call fans. Whingers all.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Rewatched it on the box....

Larmour a complete and mature performance, very impressive.
Ryan....usual service...
Healy, huge shift.
Ruddock the glue, was everywhere, tackle monster.
VDF superb, all over the place, linespeed....
Conan, composed and huge carries.
Henshaw defensive masterclass.

Lots to be excited about for next season, we will see some serious game time for a lot of young guns and the multiple Byrne's, Deegan's, Penny's, COB's etc all will move forward. And Fardy, Lowe and JPEG all on the pitch together !!

This team keeps on giving and more to come......enjoy the summer break !!
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

blockhead wrote: Yep biggest crowd ever for a Pro14 final. Congrats to all involved. To the Pro14 and the rugby fans in Scotland, well done.
The only thing I'd disagree with on that commentary is it wasn't Kearney who kicked the Physio, it was Sexton.
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

Outrageous suggestion that Sexton trys to kick Physio. He clearly has cramp in his right leg (continues to have treatment as hogg is being treated) and what he is actually doing is getting himself clear of Hogg so the Physio has unfettered access to Hogg. Quite happy that people think it's a Red Card (I did too). But to claim that Sexton trys to kick the physio is outrageous.
I'm guessing the commentator is Kellog?
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference