Pro14 Final Glasgow v Leinster 18.30 Sat 25th May

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Pro14 Final Glasgow v Leinster 18.30 Sat 25th May

Post by wixfjord »

This could be a cracker. Glasgow looked excellent on Fri night but I'd back our pack to give them a few headaches.

My side would be
Healy, Cronin, Furlong, Ryan, Fardy, Ruddock, VDF, Conan, McGrath, Sexton, Lowe, Henshaw, Ringer, DK, RK
Byrne, Byrne, Porter, Molony/Deegan, SOB, McCarthy, Byrne, Larmour

A few contentious ones in there. I think DK deserves to keep his spot, and I think Larmour might add a bit more off the bench that ROL, albeit it's likely DK won't be in the 23.

I'd start Johnny. Byrne looks more and more comfortable but we're a different attacking beast with JS on imo.

Fardy has to start really, so the call comes on the bench. If Molony is fit I'd have him and SOB, but would have no issue with Deegan either.

Dev is a huge loss to our lineout, will need Ruddock and Fardy on form.
D4surfer
Mullet

Re: Pro14 Final Glasgow v Leinster 18.30 Sat 25th May

Post by D4surfer »

Glasgow fans are getting really exercised by Leo’s tongue in cheek comments below.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/rugby/pr ... 24747.html
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

D4surfer wrote:Glasgow fans are getting really exercised by Leo’s tongue in cheek comments below.

He'd do well to keep that kind of shi*e talk to himself. Absolutely no need for it.

In actual news it's good to see both conference winners in the final. Hopefully it's a good game.
leinster23
Bookworm

Post by leinster23 »

wixfjord wrote:This could be a cracker. Glasgow looked excellent on Fri night but I'd back our pack to give them a few headaches.

My side would be
Healy, Cronin, Furlong, Ryan, Fardy, Ruddock, VDF, Conan, McGrath, Sexton, Lowe, Henshaw, Ringer, DK, RK
Byrne, Byrne, Porter, Molony/Deegan, SOB, McCarthy, Byrne, Larmour

A few contentious ones in there. I think DK deserves to keep his spot, and I think Larmour might add a bit more off the bench that ROL, albeit it's likely DK won't be in the 23.

I'd start Johnny. Byrne looks more and more comfortable but we're a different attacking beast with JS on imo.

Fardy has to start really, so the call comes on the bench. If Molony is fit I'd have him and SOB, but would have no issue with Deegan either.

Dev is a huge loss to our lineout, will need Ruddock and Fardy on form.
I'd have Molony there as lock cover (don't want Ruddock having to play there for 60+ minutes if someone gets injured) and take Deegan over SOB. The replacement front row from thus week deserve to keep their spots, they finished off the game today really well. Porter in particular looked like he came on with a point to prove.

Wouldn't be surprised if Lowe was the one to miss out with the way the back three and foreign player rules are shaping up.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

D4surfer wrote:Glasgow fans are getting really exercised by Leo’s tongue in cheek comments below.

As you say tongue in cheek, he was laughing when he said it, he’s presuming Glasgow will have a huge crowd supporting them as they no doubt will. People love to be offended.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Stupid thing for Leo to say, even if in jest, which I'm surprised at because he's usually the consummate PR pro.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

The Old Firm is part and parcel of Glasgow. Why not try and turn the rivalry in that city to our advantage? Leo's no dá. I'd say he made that somewhat provocative comment deliberately. And sure if it pays off, fair play to him!!!
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

riocard911 wrote:

The Old Firm is part and parcel of Glasgow. Why not try and turn the rivalry in that city to our advantage? Leo's no dá. I'd say he made that somewhat provocative comment deliberately. And sure if it pays off, fair play to him!!!
No, that rivalry is too toxic to play with. Leave it well alone. It was a “joke”- but not a good or wise one. Surprised by him really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

God the snowflake generation love taking offence - grow up lads !!
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

alanair wrote:God the snowflake generation love taking offence - grow up lads !!
Some of us are a long time “grown up”- and not at all prone to taking offence. But we can still recognise unwise and unnecessary comments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

alanair wrote:God the snowflake generation love taking offence - grow up lads !!
The old firm rivalry is beyond toxic these days, god be with the days when it was just plain good old fashioned honest to goodness sectarianism. We don't want any part of that, even by accident.
I have Bumbleflex
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

This game has all the ingredients to be a cracker.
It will be a much more open, free flowing game than the HCC final was.
At least that's what Glasgow want.
We need to stifle that ambition and control the pace at which the game is played.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Hard to know how good Glasgow are as Ulster were just not at the races on Friday night, really poor performance. We have so much quality in our pack we need to simply control the game, keep the pace down, ball in hand, maul it, scrum them off the pitch and lots of close in carries with Ruddock, Ryan, Furlong and Healy and I can't see them coping. VDF is made for this game in terms of getting into their game. Beat em up up front and Hogg etc won't get enough ball to be dangerous. Lowe physically will be a huge problem for them too.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Blueberry wrote:Hard to know how good Glasgow are as Ulster were just not at the races on Friday night, really poor performance. We have so much quality in our pack we need to simply control the game, keep the pace down, ball in hand, maul it, scrum them off the pitch and lots of close in carries with Ruddock, Ryan, Furlong and Healy and I can't see them coping. VDF is made for this game in terms of getting into their game. Beat em up up front and Hogg etc won't get enough ball to be dangerous. Lowe physically will be a huge problem for them too.
Scrum them off the park? Maul it? Hard carries close in? Beat 'em up in the front?

Have you watched much of 'Weegies this Season? This is now a seriously hard-nosed, well-coached, team who are hungry for success and about to lose their Star Player to the Premiership. Their starting front-row, can, and have, started for Scotland. They have three current Scottish second-rows. They have as many back-row internationals. They have two excellent scrum-halves, both internationals. They have really good try-scoring wingers and they have Stuart Hogg. Finally, about 7 or 8 of them will face about 9 Leinster players in Yokohama in the first competitive match next Season.

All in all, making any assumption about easily handling this Glasgow side in their home fixture is nonsense, Leinster will need to hang onto their coat-tails in the opening 20 minutes. Try to prevent them cheating too much at the breakdowns and take every opportunity that comes our way to be ahead of them on 60 minutes.

If we get to that point by 60 minutes, I'll gladly accept your Game Plan and prognosis for the final 20 minutes.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
Blueberry wrote:Hard to know how good Glasgow are as Ulster were just not at the races on Friday night, really poor performance. We have so much quality in our pack we need to simply control the game, keep the pace down, ball in hand, maul it, scrum them off the pitch and lots of close in carries with Ruddock, Ryan, Furlong and Healy and I can't see them coping. VDF is made for this game in terms of getting into their game. Beat em up up front and Hogg etc won't get enough ball to be dangerous. Lowe physically will be a huge problem for them too.
Scrum them off the park? Maul it? Hard carries close in? Beat 'em up in the front?

Have you watched much of 'Weegies this Season? This is now a seriously hard-nosed, well-coached, team who are hungry for success and about to lose their Star Player to the Premiership. Their starting front-row, can, and have, started for Scotland. They have three current Scottish second-rows. They have as many back-row internationals. They have two excellent scrum-halves, both internationals. They have really good try-scoring wingers and they have Stuart Hogg. Finally, about 7 or 8 of them will face about 9 Leinster players in Yokohama in the first competitive match next Season.

All in all, making any assumption about easily handling this Glasgow side in their home fixture is nonsense, Leinster will need to hang onto their coat-tails in the opening 20 minutes. Try to prevent them cheating too much at the breakdowns and take every opportunity that comes our way to be ahead of them on 60 minutes.

If we get to that point by 60 minutes, I'll gladly accept your Game Plan and prognosis for the final 20 minutes.
Yeah the first twenty minutes is crucial.
Glasgow will try to give us the bums rush from the start.
Wales did it to Leinland in the 6N.
Funnily enough we did it to Saracens last week and it nearly worked.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Ruckedtobits wrote:

Yup totally agree with u, super side, watched loads of them this year and won't be easy but I firmly believe we have a better pack and Saracens physically knocked them out up front, we can bring that extra level of physicality needed and we can and hopefully will have the edge in the maul, scrum and with close in carries. Don't want a shoot out with em as they have lots of super weapons out wide. We will see. Ulster offered nothing up front against them, their backs had endless ball and tore them a new......
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I would agree with Blueberry. I think our pack are stronger and in particular I think our maul can cause them trouble. The Toulouse game would be a good template for us to follow. Starve them of good ball if possible and bring a level of rucking intensity that they find hard to handle.

They're a serious side that we usually find it difficult against though. That backline will tear things up if they get good ball
Boss_cat2
Beginner

Post by Boss_cat2 »

Glasgow are a very dangerous side and only need 30% possession to score 4 or 5 tries. Agreed, they are less physical than Leinster but more mobile. I've noticed however in their last 4/5 games they have raised physicality to a higher level, as an example look at the game a few weeks back in the RDS!.
Playing in Glasgow will also help them, they gave huge momentum and confidence unlike Leinster.

They were very unlucky against Sarries at Scotstoun, who scored a winning try with a foot in touch, unseen by the officials and Glasgow also had a try disallowed. In the second leg they scored 3 quick tries in 1st 30 minutes against them too.

All things considered I think it will be a cracking game and lots of tries.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

kermischocolate wrote:

He'd do well to keep that kind of shi*e talk to himself. Absolutely no need for it.

In actual news it's good to see both conference winners in the final. Hopefully it's a good game.
You need to calm down there. We are away from home and while I'm sure we will have good support it will be built against Scotland v Ireland. There were a good few Scottish supporters at the final in Newcastle who were cheering like mad when sarries scored last week. I was very surprised with the number of neutral fans who were supporting sarries last Saturday. Would be good to have a few Glasgow based fans cheering us on next week. Can't be relying on the few thousand Leinster fans travelling over plus the Irish fans living in the u.k.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Celtic play Hearts in Hampden Park at 15:00 on the same day, can't see many Celtic fans making it to Celtic Park by 18:30!
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!