Pro14 Final Glasgow v Leinster 18.30 Sat 25th May

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

leinster23
Bookworm

Re: Pro14 Final Glasgow v Leinster 18.30 Sat 25th May

Post by leinster23 »

Oldschool wrote:IMHO Molony is nowhere near good enough to play in a game of this magnitude.
I've seen absolutely nothing to justify the bigging up that goes on here and I wait to be convinced.
Perhaps I'm being unfair in that it's true to say that very few players would compare favourably to Ryan, Fardy, Toner and perhaps even Kearney fit and in form.
My gut feeling says that if we have Molony on the bench then we have a problem.
Not much we can do about it though with Dev out. Ruddock as lock cover is a disaster in the making. Molony isn't a patch on Ryan/Toner Fardy but to be fair to him few are and he's after having a decent season. If he is on the bench it'll be as injury cover and we won't choose to being him on with the game in the balance. At the end of the day whether we think he's 'good enough' or not (for the record I think he probably is) doesn't really matter, he's almost certainly going to be the third best lock available to us at the weekend and should be on the bench simply because of that.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

Well he's better than Kearney who had been poor since signing from connacht. Reckon dunne will overtake him next season. Molony is a good pro 14 player. Matured nicely this year. We need to sign a hooker. Cronin getting on and still not great at lineout time. Tracey and Byrne not good enough for Europe. Need to get a saffa in! Munster must have one somewhere we can get!!
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

leinster23 wrote:If an opposition manager said similar things before an Ulster game, along the lines of 'Only Prods support Ulster, so hopefully the Catholics are out in force to support us,' even as a joke, it wouldn't go down well. This isn't as bad, but it's still silly from Leo. It's nothing more than a joke of course and the best course of action for everyone would be to simply move on but even still I can completely understand Glasgow fans getting upset about it.
Where is this sectarian angle coming from? Leo never mentioned anything about religion did he? A lot of Celtic fans are very proud of their Irish heritage and happily fly the tri colour at games. I'd imagine he was trying to get their support.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

unbelievable how such a mickey mouse comment can get such a reaction from his own fans. its as if we all want to be offended.

It was a nothing comment and should be treated as such.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Logorrhea wrote:unbelievable how such a mickey mouse comment can get such a reaction from his own fans. its as if we all want to be offended.

Well everyone is out to be offended all the time now......outrage outrage.............it's so tiresome.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Blueberry wrote:
Logorrhea wrote:unbelievable how such a mickey mouse comment can get such a reaction from his own fans. its as if we all want to be offended.

Well everyone is out to be offended all the time now......outrage outrage.............it's so tiresome.
I see no outrage- just disappointment that Leo raised this spurious point, and at this stage, some irritation that some here defend it. He was wrong; admit it and let’s then get on to the game.

Moloney is the best second row substitution option available. Ruddock is worth his own place on the the field in the back row.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Without Toner we need Fardy and Ruddock to start. As it's not Europe we have a full squad so we can pick Dowling or Dunne depending on fitness.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

1. Healy
2. Cronin
3. Furlong
4. Fardy
5. Ryan
6. Ruddock
7. JVDF
8. Conan
9. McGrath
10. Sexton
11. Lowe
12. Henshaw
13. Ringrose
14. Larmour
15. Kearney
16. Tracy
17. McGrath
18. Porter
19. Molony
20. SOB
21. McCarthy
22. Byrne
23. ROL
Scotssupporter1

Post by Scotssupporter1 »

Guys - Glasgow supporter and long time reader of your site.

But thought I'd give some West of Scotland context and may well be an over reaction on my side. Not a Rangers or Celtic fan, in fact not a football fan at all but exposed to it all my life.....was planning to go with my young son to the game, now likely no longer. While any risk is very limited I do not want him to be exposed to that culture and hope we can keep those politics away from our sport.....I note on many Irish forums there is criticisms of the Glasgow rugby support being ill educated on the game and to an extent we are a new and growing fan base - genuinely hope that will improve and we get a better reputation for ourselves, but among the keys will be ensuring there is no carry over from football so we have glasgow people whether green or blue supporting our rugby.

I want the debate and banter to be on the merits and passions of my team versus yours and more to the point enjoying a beer with opposition fans before/after and never prejudged or second guessed, based on something else that has nothing to do with the sport.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

mildlyinterested wrote:1. Healy
2. Cronin
3. Furlong
4. Fardy
5. Ryan
6. Ruddock
7. JVDF
8. Conan
9. McGrath
10. Sexton
11. Lowe
12. Henshaw
13. Ringrose
14. Larmour
15. Kearney
16. Tracy
17. McGrath
18. Porter
19. Molony
20. SOB
21. McCarthy
22. Byrne
23. ROL
Bring in Deegan for SOB and Byrne for McGrath.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Agree on Deegan and Byrne being there ahead of SOB and McGrath.

Does anyone know is Molony fit - was he not carrying an injury ?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Blueberry wrote:Agree on Deegan and Byrne being there ahead of SOB and McGrath.

Does anyone know is Molony fit - was he not carrying an injury ?
Molony was back training last week.
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

1. Healy
2. Cronin
3. Furlong
4. Fardy
5. Ryan
6. Ruddock
7. JVDF
8. Conan
9. McGrath
10. Sexton
11. Lowe
12. Henshaw
13. Ringrose
14. Larmour
15. Neil Lennon

Fair play to Leo for getting the Glasgow crowd motivated in a way years of decent rugby didn't!

This has the making of a cracking final, can we handle their attack? not to mention 3 hard games in a row.
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

Scotssupporter1 wrote:Guys - Glasgow supporter and long time reader of your site.

But thought I'd give some West of Scotland context and may well be an over reaction on my side. Not a Rangers or Celtic fan, in fact not a football fan at all but exposed to it all my life.....was planning to go with my young son to the game, now likely no longer. While any risk is very limited I do not want him to be exposed to that culture and hope we can keep those politics away from our sport.....I note on many Irish forums there is criticisms of the Glasgow rugby support being ill educated on the game and to an extent we are a new and growing fan base - genuinely hope that will improve and we get a better reputation for ourselves, but among the keys will be ensuring there is no carry over from football so we have glasgow people whether green or blue supporting our rugby.

I want the debate and banter to be on the merits and passions of my team versus yours and more to the point enjoying a beer with opposition fans before/after and never prejudged or second guessed, based on something else that has nothing to do with the sport.
Thanks for the context. I seriously doubt and hope that this will have an impact on the atmosphere at the match. Rugby fans may be easily offended but tend not to be neanderthal or violent. I am really looking forward to great day of rugby and banter.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Scotssupporter1 wrote:Guys - Glasgow supporter and long time reader of your site.

Thanks for posting, can't imagine any fan in anyway in blue causing any issues and from my experiences of the Glasgow fans I haven't seen or heard anything to alarm me in anyway in years of being at games. Have only had positive experiences with Scottish rugby and Glasgow rugby fans despite on occasion not being able to understand a word with those strong Scottish accents but I'm sure you have the same problems at times !! :D :D Bringing my own son to the game and have no concerns, it will be a great occasion and looking forward to rugby banter and nothing else. May the best team win. Hopefully you'll reconsider and bring him along !! :D :D It should be a great game.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

olaf the fat wrote:1. Healy
2. Cronin
3. Furlong
4. Fardy
5. Ryan
6. Ruddock
7. JVDF
8. Conan
9. McGrath
10. Sexton
11. Lowe
12. Henshaw
13. Ringrose
14. Larmour
15. Neil Lennon

Fair play to Leo for getting the Glasgow crowd motivated in a way years of decent rugby didn't!

This has the making of a cracking final, can we handle their attack? not to mention 3 hard games in a row.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

But thought I'd give some West of Scotland context and may well be an over reaction on my side. Not a Rangers or Celtic fan, in fact not a football fan at all but exposed to it all my life.....was planning to go with my young son to the game, now likely no longer. While any risk is very limited I do not want him to be exposed to that culture and hope we can keep those politics away from our sport.....
Unbelievable :roll:
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Thought the Glasgow Warriors fans - and bench - did themselves proud with the standing ovation they gave Rory Best when he got benched on Friday i.e. on the occasion of him leaving the pitch for the last time in an Ulster jersey! Respect!!!!
raith rover
Beginner

Post by raith rover »

Logorrhea wrote:

But thought I'd give some West of Scotland context and may well be an over reaction on my side. Not a Rangers or Celtic fan, in fact not a football fan at all but exposed to it all my life.....was planning to go with my young son to the game, now likely no longer. While any risk is very limited I do not want him to be exposed to that culture and hope we can keep those politics away from our sport.....
What kind of utter nonsense is this ??? Not going to the game. Why not ? This is a rugby match. What culture ? What politics ?
This is going to be a belter of a match between the premier rugby team of European rugby in the professional era and my team Glasgow Warriors.
Nothing more to be said. I'll be there on Saturday evening. Let's hope for a great game, a 60000 sellout. And a Glasgow win !!!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Firstly: to all the naysayers on here you can now see how actions have unintended consequences and what Leo said was stupid and HAS caused harm.

To Scotsupporter, I wouldn't in the least get concerned about criticism of Glasgow support being ill educated on the game, we say that about literally everyone. Pick on the Welsh support more than any others though. We do complain about Scottish teams being offside all the time, but we've been complaining about that since before I was born.

There will be no trouble from Leinster supporters, we are completely used to sitting beside Ulster supporters and not a bother (they are my second team actually). It genuinely wouldn't occur to us, and as I said before Leinster rugby isn't exactly particularly catholic as far as I know. I'd think again, your child will be as safe as is possible in a large crowd on Saturday and could miss a very special occasion for Glasgow fans.

Unlike others here I wish to register a significant complaint about Scottish rugby supporters in Scotland: they kept on getting me whisky which I wasn't really up for so had to cry off.