Assessing the Next Generation

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Assessing the Next Generation

Post by mildlyinterested »

Lots of talk post-sarries loss about replacing the current generation of leinster leaders and legends, so I thought I'd look at the current Leinster squad age 26 and under:

LH Prop
Ed Byrne(25) - 44 caps. 5 tries.
Peter Dooley(24) - 61 caps. 2 tries.
Michael Milne(20)

Byrne/Dooley are solid but unspectacular, it's a big drop off from Healy/McGrath last season when we won European cup. Healy has a few years left, luckily his heir is currently playing schools rugby. Hard to know what kind of future Milne have at Leinster, it's very early in his career, interested to see how he goes at the JWC.

Hooker
Bryan Byrne(25) - 41 caps. 12 tries.
Ronan Kelleher(21) - 2 caps.
Dan Sheehan(20)
John McKee(19)

Byrne is a decent squad player but unlikely to do much at top level, Kelleher is the best talent to come through academy since Dave Doyle had to retire, has made a strong early impression hopefully he pushes on next season. Sheehan is coming off a big season in the AIL but hard to know how much of a future he has with leinster. McKee has a strong profile underage as ireland schools and under-19 captain but I need to see more of him for the 20's.

TH Prop
Tadhg Furlong(26)** - 101 caps. 6 tries.
Andrew Porter(23)* - 52 caps. 5 tries.
Vakh Abdaladze(23) - 7 caps. 1 try.
Jack Aungier(20)
Tom Clarkson(19)

Very strong combo with Furlong/Porter, while Clarkson looks potential elite prospect but still very young. Abdaladze looks like he will be a decent squad player while Aungier has a lot to prove and will need to show progress next season.

Lock
Ross Molony(25) - 81 caps. 3 tries.
James Ryan(22)* - 30 caps. 2 tries.
Jack Dunne(20) - 5 caps.
Charlie Ryan(20)
Ryan Baird(19) - 1 cap.

James Ryan is possibly the best rugby player in Ireland, Molony offers a lot in Pro 14 but wait and see if he has what it takes at the very top. Dunne, Baird and Ryan all very strong prospects, who should get playing opportunities during the WC.

Backrow
Jack Conan(26)* - 88 caps. 21 tries.
Josh Van Der Flier(26)* - 72 caps. 8 tries.
Dan Leavy(25)* - 63 caps. 14 tries.
Josh Murphy(24) - 21 caps. 1 try.
Will Connors(23) - 5 caps.
Max Deegan(22) - 45 caps. 11 tries.
Caelan Doris(21) - 16 caps. 1 try.
Oisin Dowling(21) - 4 caps.
Scott Penny(19) - 6 caps. 2 tries.
Martin Moloney(19)

Conan, JVDF and Leavy have proven to be top class operators, big question over leavys future but let's be optimistic. Deegan/Doris/Penny have capability of reaching that level too, lets hope they stick with Leinster. Murphy/Dowling are solid squad players capable of covering 6 and lock at pro 14 level. Hard to know what sort of future Connors has at leinster. Moloney is a blindside for the irish 20's unclear if he has potential to play another backrow position.

Scrumhalf
Luke McGrath(26)* - 112 caps. 29 tries.
Hugh O'Sullivan(21) - 14 caps.
Paddy Patterson(20) - 3 caps. 1 try.
Cormac Foley(19)

McGrath lacks a top class pass but brings a lot to the table, will be a feature for leinster for years to come. Young 9's all have question marks over their long term potential, all three need gametime to develop decision making etc.

Outhalf
Ross Byrne(24)* - 70 caps. 3 tries.
Ciaran Frawley(21) - 14 caps. 2 tries.
Harry Byrne(20)
David Hawkshaw(19)

RB lacks top class athleticism but has already led leinster to some very big wins in europe. Byrne/Hawkshaw are top prospects while Frawley has a big season ahead of him to confirm that he is in that class.

Centre
Robbie Henshaw(25)** - 36 caps. 7 tries.
Rory O'Loughlin(25)* - 61 caps. 21 tries.
Garry Ringose(24)* - 64 caps. 25 tries.
Conor O'Brien(23) - 17 caps. 6 tries.
Gavin Mullin(21) - 2 caps.
Tommy O'Brien(20)

Henshaw/Ringrose are top class pairing, if a bit injury prone... COB stepped up considerably this season and hopefully that can continue next season. ROL is a good squad player but not a threat to dislodge 1st choice at either 12 or 13. O'Brien lost this season to injury and could yet end up on the wing, finally it's hard to know what kind of future Mullin has at leinster.

Back Three
Barry Daly(26) - 36 caps. 19 tries.
James Lowe(26) - 29 caps. 20 tries.
Adam Byrne(25)* - 52 caps. 19 tries.
Cian Kelleher(24) - 7 caps. 1 try.
Hugo Keenan(22) - 5 caps. 1 try.
Jimmy O'Brien(22) - 7 caps. 3 tries.
Jordan Larmour(21)* - 38 caps. 12 tries.
Jack Kelly(21) - 1 cap.
Michael Silvester(20)
Aaron O'Sullivan(19)
Liam Turner(19)

Lowe is a top class playerer and Larmour has the potential to be, is that at 15? I remain to be convinced. Beyond that it's hard to know what to make of the mix match of proven players, AB & Daly, the return of Kelleher and who of the young backs have a future at leinster. O'Brien has looked promising at 15 in limited time, while Keenan, Kelly & Silvester have all been focusing on 7's in 2019. O'Sullivan missed most of the season with injury, while Turners position may yet end up at 13.

* = capped by ireland
** = B&I Lion
cormac
Rob Kearney

Re: Assessing the Next Generation

Post by cormac »

I was seriously impressed with Clarkson during the 6N. For an U-19 to do more than hold his own at that level in such a demanding position was a real testament to his ability.

Any idea as to how bad the injuries that are keeping Byrne and Penny out of the JWC are?
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

cormac wrote:I was seriously impressed with Clarkson during the 6N. For an U-19 to do more than hold his own at that level in such a demanding position was a real testament to his ability.

Any idea as to how bad the injuries that are keeping Byrne and Penny out of the JWC are?
Nope, hopefully nothing too serious.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Thought Id finally found a thread where I could explain why Picard is so much better than Kirk or anyone who came after :(
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

Twist wrote:Thought Id finally found a thread where I could explain why Picard is so much better than Kirk or anyone who came after :(
Sir, I salute you...
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Twist wrote:Thought Id finally found a thread where I could explain why Picard is so much better than Kirk or anyone who came after :(
Obviously a case for Counsellor Troy's couch ...