Champions Cup 2020

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: Champions Cup 2020

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Two Irish refs for Sunday afternoon games involving Fr v Eng clubs and two Red cards (and numerous YCs) for stupid infringements by French players.

Montpellier, at full strength look a real handful and their back to back encounters against Toulouse will be great value. The majority of the other Poolsshould generally be determined by their respective back to back games with Lyon, La Rochelle, Bath, Ospreys and Gloucester all looking like no-hopers already.

At this point, the quarter-finalists should come from Leinster, Northampton, Exeter, Ulster, Clermont, Racing, Munster, Sarries, Toulouse & Montpellier. Connacht and Glasgow might be the only outsiders that could progresss.

The format this year may provide a twist because of the four games in five weeks before Christmas but, even at this early stage, Montpellier at 40/1 are the outsiders of my ten possible quarter-finalists, who are headed by Leinster at a ridiculous 15/8, followed by Toulouse at 7/2 and Sarries at 6/1.

The biggest impact thus far has not been a backlash from the World Cup but rather that independent Premiership investigation which places a shadow over Sarries commitment to this year's competition. Leinster should hope this uncertainty continues as they would probably be happier to see Munster progress ahead of the English title holders.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

I think Sarries will end up being ok in the competition this year. Ospreys' shocking form has saved them. They'll re-integrate the remainder of their WC finalists against Munster. The draw between Racing and Munster suits them, they're only two points behind now. I think they'll go full strength and try to win in Thomond. They're better than Racing and Racing very nearly pulled it off. Once theyre into the QF they're only three games from winning it so they might as well go for it.

The only way I can see it going wrong is if they have a nightmare in Limerick. I expect Racing to hammer Ospreys so if they're >5 points behind Munster going into the second of the back-to-back games they're in serious trouble. I just don't see that happening.

As was pointed out elsewhere though, this might be the last of the great years for them for a while
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Champions Cup 2020

Post by Twist »

Remember the schemozzle that happened after Finn Russell’s nutmeg try on Saturday? You can see it at the very start here, again at 31-33 secs and again at 40-41. Chat drives his shoulder into Stander’s head at the ruck. He and Racing are very lucky it wasn’t picked up at the time

https://twitter.com/btsport/status/1198 ... 88737?s=21
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

Twist wrote:Remember the schemozzle that happened after Finn Russell’s nutmeg try on Saturday? You can see it at the very start here, again at 31-33 secs and again at 40-41. Chat drives his shoulder into Stander’s head at the ruck. He and Racing are very lucky it wasn’t picked up at the time

God bless you eyesight. I can't see a thing.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

D4surfer wrote:
Twist wrote:Remember the schemozzle that happened after Finn Russell’s nutmeg try on Saturday? You can see it at the very start here, again at 31-33 secs and again at 40-41. Chat drives his shoulder into Stander’s head at the ruck. He and Racing are very lucky it wasn’t picked up at the time

Chataracts?
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

It's literally right at the start of the clip. I saw this in real time and wondered why he didn't go back to it. Looked pretty bad.
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

wixfjord wrote:It's literally right at the start of the clip. I saw this in real time and wondered why he didn't go back to it. Looked pretty bad.
I just looked at it on a PC instead of my phone and you're right. It looks pretty bad. Any word of a citing?
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
D4surfer wrote:

Chataracts?
Under-rated gag!
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

D4surfer wrote:
wixfjord wrote:It's literally right at the start of the clip. I saw this in real time and wondered why he didn't go back to it. Looked pretty bad.
I just looked at it on a PC instead of my phone and you're right. It looks pretty bad. Any word of a citing?
Who cares?
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

carlow man wrote:
D4surfer wrote:
Who cares?

No citing.

https://www.epcrugby.com/2019/11/26/dis ... round-2-4/
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

hes on that page as a citing?
I have Bumbleflex
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

Dave Cahill wrote:hes on that page as a citing?
I said "No citing"
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

But he has been cited. I'm confused.
I have Bumbleflex
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

Dave Cahill wrote:But he has been cited. I'm confused.
Camille Chat?

I can't see it on the page but then again I couldn't see the offence when I first looked.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

D4surfer wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:But he has been cited. I'm confused.
Camille Chat?

I can't see it on the page but then again I couldn't see the offence when I first looked.
You are entirely correct! For some reason I thought we were talking about Will Addison! Apologies, my mistake.
I have Bumbleflex
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

"Old Age Dave". New nickname.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

La Rochelle lad only gets a 6 week ban for putting his hands near an opponent's eyes, far too lenient.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

So between the six nations and a potential quarter final the only games we will be playing are the two down in South Africa which you would assume none of our internationals will go on.

So option A, team has no game time together before the quarter final
Option B, the team has to travel back from SA the week of the quarter final.

Neither great options.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Jonny tight lips wrote:So between the six nations and a potential quarter final the only games we will be playing are the two down in South Africa which you would assume none of our internationals will go on.

So option A, team has no game time together before the quarter final
Option B, the team has to travel back from SA the week of the quarter final.

Neither great options.
Let the A-Team play the B-Team and send the C-Team down to South Africa.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Bath 17-34 Clermont, from the Wreck, honestly its like something from the 70s.
BP win for Clermont, can see them getting at least 24pts now which will be hard for Ulster to match.
Game was in the balance until 2 quick tries late in the 2nd half.
Barcelona lad, Samuel Ezeala, scored 2 tries.
Bath are sheeeiiite!
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!