Champions Cup 2020

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Champions Cup 2020

Post by The Doc »

johng wrote:I wondered who would have the first wee pop at that one.
You know me - never miss an opportunity for a cheap gag :)
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

The Doc wrote:
johng wrote:I wondered who would have the first wee pop at that one.
You know me - never miss an opportunity for a cheap gag :)
You and John both!!
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

What have the Nigels done for us?
From RugbyPass

'Commercially, it has been a disappointment... lots of reasons for that'

By Liam Heagney
Simon Halliday has admitted that the European tournaments run by EPCR haven’t been the soaraway commercial success people envisaged they would be.

The Swiss-based organisation fully took over from the Dublin-based ERC in 2015/16 following a 2014 civil war that resulted in English and French clubs breaking up the old set-up in the hope of generating additional finances.

A shared title sponsorship model was at the forefront of plans to increase revenues, but that ambition didn’t work out and the Champions Cup – which this season begins on Friday night with Gloucester hosting Toulouse at Kingsholm – reverted last term to a single title sponsor Heineken, who used to be the single title sponsor of the old ERC European Cup.

Heading into his fifth season as chairman, former England international Halliday told RugbyPass: “Onfield, we have made a lot of good improvements. We have hosted good finals, we have changed one of the criteria so Benetton qualified by right this season, we developed free-to-air where there wasn’t any and brought it to more people.

“Commercially, it has been a disappointment. Lots of reasons for that. The rebranding takes time.
“Secondly, a lot of sponsors have gone from being global into being pan-Europe, even local, so the way they allocate their money has changed, the way people look at traditional sponsorship has changed. Look what happened with Six Nations, for example.

“And our domestic, I keep saying to people our domestic stakeholders [the clubs] are much stronger now than they were five years ago, so people can get exposure to rugby through our stakeholders as much as they can through us.”

With the 2015 World Cup hosted in England, the 2015/16 Champions Cup took quite a while to arouse much interest. However, Halliday doesn’t believe there will be any spectator fatigue heading into 2019/20 due to the latest World Cup being played in Japan.

“You’d like to think so. Not just because a lot of northern hemisphere stars will be playing but a lot of the southern hemisphere stars play in Europe so once they are recovered from their rest periods, you would like to think that they will get involved and we will continue with that momentum.

“After the last World Cup the tournament took a while to get going because there was only so much that people could take on board, but I think the tournament is vastly improved from where it was four years ago in its format and the teams are very, very strong so yeah, there is real excitement still.”
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

blockhead wrote:What have the Nigels done for us?
From RugbyPass

“And our domestic, I keep saying to people our domestic stakeholders [the clubs] are much stronger now than they were five years ago, so people can get exposure to rugby through our stakeholders as much as they can through us.”
The pan-European organisation was taken over by billionaire interests. It is diminished. It is working as designed.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

blockhead wrote:What have the Nigels done for us?
From RugbyPass

By Liam Heagney
Simon Halliday has admitted that the European tournaments run by EPCR haven’t been the soaraway commercial success people envisaged they would be.

The Swiss-based organisation fully took over from the Dublin-based ERC in 2015/16 following a 2014 civil war that resulted in English and French clubs breaking up the old set-up in the hope of generating additional finances.

A shared title sponsorship model was at the forefront of plans to increase revenues, but that ambition didn’t work out and the Champions Cup – which this season begins on Friday night with Gloucester hosting Toulouse at Kingsholm – reverted last term to a single title sponsor Heineken, who used to be the single title sponsor of the old ERC European Cup.

Heading into his fifth season as chairman, former England international Halliday told RugbyPass: “Onfield, we have made a lot of good improvements. We have hosted good finals, we have changed one of the criteria so Benetton qualified by right this season, we developed free-to-air where there wasn’t any and brought it to more people.

“Commercially, it has been a disappointment. Lots of reasons for that. The rebranding takes time.
“Secondly, a lot of sponsors have gone from being global into being pan-Europe, even local, so the way they allocate their money has changed, the way people look at traditional sponsorship has changed. Look what happened with Six Nations, for example.

With the 2015 World Cup hosted in England, the 2015/16 Champions Cup took quite a while to arouse much interest. However, Halliday doesn’t believe there will be any spectator fatigue heading into 2019/20 due to the latest World Cup being played in Japan.

“You’d like to think so. Not just because a lot of northern hemisphere stars will be playing but a lot of the southern hemisphere stars play in Europe so once they are recovered from their rest periods, you would like to think that they will get involved and we will continue with that momentum.

“After the last World Cup the tournament took a while to get going because there was only so much that people could take on board, but I think the tournament is vastly improved from where it was four years ago in its format and the teams are very, very strong so yeah, there is real excitement still.”
Blah blah, marketing-BS, blah, more PR-nonsense, wifflewaffle, pifflepaffle - the self-centredness of the Nigels is frightening to behold. Tally-ho!!! Get Brexit done!!! p.s. that Tory eejit Mark Francois is a rugby alickadoo - says everything really....
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Basically they spent a fortune to insert one letter into a URL
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I heard Saracens are going to sponsor it.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

riocard911 wrote:
Blah blah, marketing-BS, blah, more PR-nonsense, wifflewaffle, pifflepaffle - the self-centredness of the Nigels is frightening to behold. Tally-ho!!! Get Brexit done!!! p.s. that Tory eejit Mark Francois is a rugby alickadoo - says everything really....
Out of all UK and US politicians who are in the limelight right now I reckon that pound for pound he's the thickest.

Slightly related to rugby, the video Steve Barclay put out about Brexit being good for football is an absolute disgrace.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Dave Cahill wrote:Basically they spent a fortune to insert one letter into a URL
And also reduced the commercial value of the competition. You forgot that.

Who in their right mind would look to the English for the commercial way forward in professional club rugby? Their efforts even in their own domestic league have been an unmitigated disaster.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

This is an under-mentioned aspect of the Saracens thing. A lot of people have noted that there's no salary cap in European competition - the implication being that their titles aren't devalued in any way. But weren't we told repeatedly that everyone had to qualify 'on merit'? Their qualification, let alone their seeding, wasn't merited if they violated the rules to attain it.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Reasons such as people like him being allowed make decisions.

That was incoherent at best.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Dave Cahill wrote:Basically they spent a fortune to insert one letter into a URL
And they still have finally (essentially) reverted to the Heineken Cup, which is what people recognised it as anyway.

I still, to this day, can only guess at the order of the initialism.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

I actually preferred the old 24 team format. I know the quality was marginally lower in the group stages, but I think the competition was better for having more happening in the group stages

I even preferred the aesthetic of the old trophy over the new pointy one
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
riocard911 wrote:
Out of all UK and US politicians who are in the limelight right now I reckon that pound for pound he's the thickest.

Slightly related to rugby, the video Steve Barclay put out about Brexit being good for football is an absolute disgrace.
Francois is a little strutting c~*k who absolutely no-one takes seriously. Barclays video is getting the reception it deserves.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

The parallels between the reformation of the European club rugby competitions and Brexit are striking.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Saracens have not selected any of their top players for the trip to Racing
I have Bumbleflex
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Dave Cahill wrote:Saracens have not selected any of their top players for the trip to Racing
15. Matt Gallagher
14. Sean Maitland
13. Alex Lozowski
12. Nick Tompkins
11. Rotimi Segun
10. Manu Vunipola
9. Ben Spencer
1. Rhys Carre
2. Jack Singleton
3. Titi Lamositele
4. Will Skelton
5. Callum Hunter-Hill
6. Nick Isiekwe
7. Ben Earl
8. Jackson Wray ©

16. Joe Gray
17. Sam Crean
18. Vincent Koch
19. Joel Kpoku
20. Sean Reffell
21. Tom Whiteley
22. Damian Willemse
23. Duncan Taylor

Wonder how they'll get on. I wouldn't put it past them to still be extremely tough to beat.

I'd like to think the Leinster team sans internationals we saw during the World Cup would get on quite well in Europe.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
riocard911 wrote:

Have you not heard the rumour, Hillary is making a comeback and if she's the presidential nominee for the democrats (that actually came up as femocrats in the predictive text, is their such a word even) then Trump baby is a shoe in for another term, time to get on to yer congress man straight away.
As an aside and not the thread for it but what is going on with the democrats nomination race.
Have they become so enthalled themselves by Trump that they're dropping the ball.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Dave Cahill wrote:Saracens have not selected any of their top players for the trip to Racing
I read something a few weeks ago that all England players were getting a month off after the World Cup regardless of when their last game was. Not sure if that just relates to Saracens or all of the clubs. haven't checked the other team sheets.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
I read something a few weeks ago that all England players were getting a month off after the World Cup regardless of when their last game was. Not sure if that just relates to Saracens or all of the clubs. haven't checked the other team sheets.
They're back for the other clubs by and large.
I have Bumbleflex