Celtic Cup 19/20

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

D4surfer
Mullet

Re: Celtic Cup 19/20

Post by D4surfer »

We got overly ambitious and gifted them a few breaks. The subs were also a step down.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Xanthippe wrote:
blockhead wrote:
D4surfer wrote:80 minutes. 55 - 24 Patterson try. Full time.
Thanks for the updates D4surfer.
Looks like we took pity on the poor bastids for the last 30 mins or so.
Lads might have eased up but no sign of ladies doing the same 40-3 at the moment (55 mins)
There's a reason for that.
https://g.co/kgs/CN1kMq
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I crossed the picket...

Brilliant performance up until we started making the subs and took our foot off the pedal.

Ulster had a good first few mins but thought our second rows and back row upped the physicality and gave us a really solid platform. Milne is a mystery to me right now. He showed brilliant hands to put someone away but then missed the clearout really badly (even though he came in from the side quite blatantly) and we conceded a penalty. Then he gave another penalty away soon after for not rolling away. He did have some good carries but he just doesn't seem as all action as he did when I first saw him.

Sheehan was top class. I haven't seen much of him but he was abrasive, powerful, and very quick. His run in for the try must have been about 40m and he never looked like being caught.

Our backs played some great stuff, the midfield worked brilliantly together. Harry Byrne really does have everything in his locker and is a constant threat on the ball. TOB looked like he'd never been away. He took one hospital pass on his knees early on and I'd say most players would have been happy just to catch it and recycle but he got up and rode the tackle. He blocked down a kick, offloaded brilliantly after a nice break which led to Osbourne's try, and made an excellent clearout on the Ulster line when it looked like we were going to lose the ball. He's just class all round.

I've never see much to get excited about with Mullin but he was my MOTM today. Brilliant performance with three tries, three killer passes to put people away, and three man and ball tackles that came from really good/important reads in defence. He had a couple of ropey passes near the end but that was the best I've ever seen him play and I have to say that I didn't think he had the pace to finish his second try like he did. I'm not sure he'd have taken that on a year ago, maybe he just needs to believe in himself a bit more.

Liam Turner is one seriously stocky individual. The line he took to set up Mullin's third try was quality.

Both of our wingers were very lively. Super chip and gather from Russell for his try. Smith was very vocal, our centres weren't as solid when TOB went off at HT and it seemed like Smith was taking responsibility for making sure the line speed was good etc. Seems to have a bit of an edge to him as well.

Ulster didn't have much to shout about but thought Stewart was very good when he came on, nobody else was on his wavelength though.

We obviously have a lot of talent but we're clearly very well coached as well. When our backs move the ball it's always snappy and in front of the receiver, shoulders face down the pitch, players going into contact hit the weak shoulder and look to offload, and the support play is excellent. Ulster tried one very simple backs move and the ten's pass was so slow and floaty to the 13 that Leinster could just rush up and shut it down.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

This might be irrelevant to most but on the tickets...

I think there were about 50 people on the terrace and maybe around 200 in the stand. Lots of those tickets would be comped (the first team players and coaches who were there, the minis, friends and family of the players) so my guess is that Leinster would have brought in around €2,000 today...is that really worth the bad feeling and lack of support that this new policy creates?
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

LRIP, brilliant summary but questionable crowd estimation. I think there was between 500 and 1,000 in the stand. I agree, a large number were friends and family so not generating any money for Leinster Rugby.

I would love to be able to write a comprehensive report but a combination of minding my 5 year old grandson and a wasp landing in my pint distracted me.

Apart from the intercepted pass, Harry Byrne was a class apart.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

I agree with LRIP’s report and crowd estimate. Nowhere near 500 in the stand.

Mullin was very comfortable on either side of the ball throughout. He is more physical and more comfortable in contact than his father, if not quite as silken or fast in attack - but he certainly put a marker down today.

Sheehan is a special player. There hasn’t been a booker his size in irish rugby since Steve Smith. His Dad was a hefty 6’ 4” 2nd row (for Michael’s). Both he and Kelleher are real prospects who will drive each other onwards.

Harry Byrne is the complete package. He needs a few games for the senior team in order to keep developing.

For a guy who has just left School, Smith was very impressive. Very vocal, physical, good speed and effective.

Jack Dunne was one of our better players but nowhere near the heights he reached last year yet.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

D4surfer wrote:LRIP, brilliant summary but questionable crowd estimation. I think there was between 500 and 1,000 in the stand. I agree, a large number were friends and family so not generating any money for Leinster Rugby.

I would love to be able to write a comprehensive report but a combination of minding my 5 year old grandson and a wasp landing in my pint distracted me.

I counted (literally) about 50 people in my section and there were less than that in the one beside me (the Wesley end) and in the middle. So I'd say about 120/130 between those three sections. I was extrapolating/guesstimating the other two sections on the far side so could be underestimating it but don't think I'm that far off unless those sections were packed, and definitely nowhere near a thousand.
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
D4surfer wrote:LRIP, brilliant summary but questionable crowd estimation. I think there was between 500 and 1,000 in the stand. I agree, a large number were friends and family so not generating any money for Leinster Rugby.

I counted (literally) about 50 people in my section and there were less than that in the one beside me (the Wesley end) and in the middle. So I'd say about 120/130 between those three sections. I was extrapolating/guesstimating the other two sections on the far side so could be underestimating it but don't think I'm that far off unless those sections were packed, and definitely nowhere near a thousand.
You’re probably right. I was at the Wesley end for the first half where the halftime minis and their parents were seated with the few travelling Ulster supporters. I switched to the Bective end for the second half. Felipe was hosting an Argentinian club.

Anyway, great to get to see some live rugby. There is some serious young talent coming through and they’re being really well coached.
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I wondered who that team was, was tempted to try and blend in with them as they were waved through the gate at the Bective end but figured the embarrassment of being caught would be too much :lol:
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I wondered who that team was, was tempted to try and blend in with them as they were waved through the gate at the Bective end but figured the embarrassment of being caught would be too much :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Dan Sheehan sounds very promising. What's his throwing like?
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

leinsterforever wrote:Dan Sheehan sounds very promising. What's his throwing like?
I don’t remember him missing any throws. For a big guy he can certainly shift. I’d say he’s as fast as Nugget.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Not in acceleration.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

leinsterforever wrote:Dan Sheehan sounds very promising. What's his throwing like?
I've seen him a few times [in brief appearances] for the A side. it's a very limited sample size [maybe four or five throws] but it looks like he knows what he's doing and has decent mechanics, i.e. it looks like the same throwing motion each time.

There are so many moving pieces in a lineout and subs have a much harder time than starters. They don't get as many reps in training in the first place, and they don't have the same number of reps with the first choice jumpers. Then when they are introduced on to the pitch they have a lineout which won't have trained as much together [in terms of jumpers and lifters].
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

hugonaut wrote:
I've seen him a few times [in brief appearances] for the A side. it's a very limited sample size [maybe four or five throws] but it looks like he knows what he's doing and has decent mechanics, i.e. it looks like the same throwing motion each time.

There are so many moving pieces in a lineout and subs have a much harder time than starters. They don't get as many reps in training in the first place, and they don't have the same number of reps with the first choice jumpers. Then when they are introduced on to the pitch they have a lineout which won't have trained as much together [in terms of jumpers and lifters].
If he can't throw properly then nothing else matters.
So a good starting point at least.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Oldschool wrote:[If he can't throw properly then nothing else matters.
If only that were true. If he can't throw he will be at parity with Leinster's 3 senior hookers and, sometimes, the Captain of the Irish team as well.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Oldschool wrote:[If he can't throw properly then nothing else matters.
If only that were true. If he can't throw he will be at parity with Leinster's 3 senior hookers and, sometimes, the Captain of the Irish team as well.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

Good sum up LRIP. On tickets was a bit disappointed to make the effort and come out on a Saturday to support the lads and have to pay 45 quid for me and the two kids, no discount even as a season ticket holder, that’s not going to entice fans to watch the lower teams.

Game wise I got two guys positions wrong and boy was I wrong. Sheehan faced us on the stand and I said that must be our no8! Turns out our hooker is a monster and he played that way too. Very impressed with his throw ins. Then tuner comes on and I said ah another new loose head off the assembly line, only to be corrected by my son who said no dad that’s our centre. Turner has some serious after burners and his physic reminds me of a mini bastarued. I think Harry Byrne has the full package as many are saying, he looked really good and it will be interesting to see how much senior time he gets this season. I was very impressed with Mullen his timing and passing was worth the entry fee in alone (yeah I know I bitched about that earlier)
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Turner sounds like Peter Robb Mk.II