Pro14 R3: Leinster v Edinburgh Fri 11th Oct KO 19:35

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Pilotman123
Graduate

Re: Pro14 R3: Leinster v Edinburgh Fri 11th Oct KO 19:35

Post by Pilotman123 »

mildlyinterested wrote:O'Sullivan and Patterson don't deserve to play for leinster just because they dreamed of doing it when they were young... plus they are also behind an irish player in Osborne.

They need to improve, simple as.
I don’t mind Osborne being there so much it’s JGP and other non Irish players, surely you guys understand why I feel like this
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

this attitude has came out of left field. :lol:

there is of course room for non-irish players in the leinster squad, in fact I would consider it essential.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Pilotman123 wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:O'Sullivan and Patterson don't deserve to play for leinster just because they dreamed of doing it when they were young... plus they are also behind an irish player in Osborne.

I don’t mind Osborne being there so much it’s JGP and other non Irish players, surely you guys understand why I feel like this
I can understand the thought process, but don't agree.

JGP is better than HOS/Patterson, HOS and Patterson need to improve, simple as that.
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

mildlyinterested wrote:
Pilotman123 wrote:

I can understand the thought process, but don't agree.

JGP is better than HOS/Patterson, HOS and Patterson need to improve, simple as that.
Well I guess we’re gonna have to agree to disagree then, fair enough they need to improve but I wouldn’t want JGP being there long term, hopefully the younger scrum halves can learn from JGP and then JGP can move to a different club in the future once the other scrum halves improve
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Pilotman123 wrote: Well I guess we’re gonna have to agree to disagree then
fair enough, surprised you have only brought this up now and we haven't heard this earlier with Fardy, Lowe, Bent and Tomane all starting in recent weeks ahead of leinster produced players.

Personally i'd start COB this weekend over Tomane and rotate Patterson onto the bench ahead of Osborne.

Next season Tomane/Fardy/Bent all could be gone and their homegrown replacements may be taking their opportunity.

But right now I don't think O'Sullivan or Patterson can feel aggrieved, based on performances and current ability. They've fallen behind an AIL scrumhalf brought in on trial over the summer, they gotta get better.
Last edited by mildlyinterested on October 10th, 2019, 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Pilotman123 wrote:
arsebiscuits1 wrote:
Pilotman123 wrote:This defeats the whole purpose of an academy if you’re going to bring in foreign players , we have four players who aren’t Irish starting this weekend..
Steady on Luke ;)

JGP is IQ and a better player than all of the other options we currently have. RWC might be a good window for a lot of players, but we still need to rack up the results
Just because he’s had a holiday in Ireland for three years doesn’t make him Irish!!! There’s players who dreamed about playing for Ireland since they were a kid and then a New Zealand reject comes here and takes there place. JGP is Not Irish
Patterson and HOS wouldn’t make us lose games don’t give me that rubbish saying we need to rack up the results we’ve the best academy in the world filled with fantastic players
Holiday?
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

cormac wrote: Holiday?
More like a J1 surely!
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

jimbobjoe wrote:
More like a J1 surely!
https://amp.rugbypass.com/news/england- ... s-players/
Read that article about Steve Thompson views on it
Thompson has no time for these quirks in the Test eligibility rules, claiming the current three-year residency rule should be increased to 10 and not five as had been agreed for the end of 2020.

“I am English through and through. I love it and I just don’t think you should get these players who turn up on holiday for a while, play, earn some money at a club and suddenly get International caps. That is my honest opinion. People hate me for it. Some people like me for it, but that’s the way I believe it is.
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

He also said “I think it is an outrage what has happened to Devin Toner. He has been an outstanding player for Ireland. Suddenly, some South African has turned up, a couple of years holiday and then suddenly he is included in the Irish squad a week into him qualifying for the squad. That is absolutely disgusting and wrong. It should be a 10-year rule at least.”
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

mildlyinterested wrote:
Pilotman123 wrote: Well I guess we’re gonna have to agree to disagree then
fair enough, surprised you have only brought this up now and we haven't heard this earlier with Fardy, Lowe, Bent and Tomane all starting in recent weeks ahead of leinster produced players.

Personally i'd start COB this weekend over Tomane and rotate Patterson onto the bench ahead of Osborne.

Next season Tomane/Fardy/Bent all could be gone and their homegrown replacements may be taking their opportunity.

But right now I don't think O'Sullivan or Patterson can feel aggrieved, based on performances and current ability. They've fallen behind an AIL scrumhalf brought in on trial over the summer, they gotta get better.
Fair hopefully this will improve HOS and Patterson and make them push each other harder for a spot
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

I'd be surprised of many here care what Steve Thompson has to say
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Pilotman123 wrote:
jimbobjoe wrote:
More like a J1 surely!
Thompson has no time for these quirks in the Test eligibility rules, claiming the current three-year residency rule should be increased to 10 and not five as had been agreed for the end of 2020.

“I am English through and through. I love it and I just don’t think you should get these players who turn up on holiday for a while, play, earn some money at a club and suddenly get International caps. That is my honest opinion. People hate me for it. Some people like me for it, but that’s the way I believe it is.
So you think that some Irish citizens shouldn't be allowed play for Ireland? Because that's what would happen if it were a 10-year residency rule. Describing a player working his nads off to play for the team you supposedly support as being here "on a holiday" is seriously insulting.

How do you feel about Stuart Lancaster and Felipe Contepomi being coaches at Leinster?
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Pilotman123 wrote:He also said “I think it is an outrage what has happened to Devin Toner. He has been an outstanding player for Ireland. Suddenly, some South African has turned up, a couple of years holiday and then suddenly he is included in the Irish squad a week into him qualifying for the squad. That is absolutely disgusting and wrong. It should be a 10-year rule at least.”
Pilotman123 wrote:
jimbobjoe wrote:
More like a J1 surely!

I wouldn't disagree majorly with either of those, three years is too short to play for ireland.. but we are talking about playing for leinster, a club side with history of non-irish players playing for the province.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

jimbobjoe wrote:I'd be surprised of many here care what Steve Thompson has to say
The accuracy of his opinions are in line with his lineout throwing
I have Bumbleflex
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Pilotman123 wrote:
wixfjord wrote:
Pilotman123 wrote:This defeats the whole purpose of an academy if you’re going to bring in foreign players , we have four players who aren’t Irish starting this weekend..
I assume this is a piss take?!
Oh so you’re telling me you’d be fine if Leinster turned into a Man City having loads of foreign players winning trophies with no players in the team being from Leinster? It’s not like we have a bad academy, we have the best academy in the world with fantastic players we don’t need any foreign players who aren’t Irish. All you care about is the winning but you couldn’t care less if our whole team was from New Zealand as long as Leinster are winning....shame on you
:lol:

It seems we've unearthed Leinsterfans own blend of Farage/Fitzgerald! Fair play you hid it well for 100 or so posts but it's all come out now!
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Match Preview

Leinster had another very comfortable win last week. It eventually became like a training match against a fairly hapless Ospreys team.

Read more...
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Dave Cahill wrote:
jimbobjoe wrote:I'd be surprised of many here care what Steve Thompson has to say
The accuracy of his opinions are in line with his lineout throwing
I don't agree with him (or Luke, or anyone else who has that opinion) but I can completely understand where they're coming from to be fair, I don't think it's a ridiculous opinion to have.

For me the issue isn't that it happens, it's that it happens too often, and I still can't understand (sorry, I know I bring this up all the time) why World Rugby didn't just put a cap on the number of residency qualified players in a match day squad. If they capped it at 2/3 players then the whole landscape changes, simple.

I really hate when people single out players though, it's not their fault that they've taken advantage of an opportunity provided to them and by and large they're busting a gut to be a good as they can possibly be for their adopted province/country and make a really positive impact. Rugby just isn't a big enough sport that we can do away with the residency rule and we need to be pretty liberal with it in order to grow the women's game too IMO.

As much as I don't want us to overdo it, it's great to be able to watch someone like J-Lo every week and it's really exciting that we're trying to develop someone like Salanoa.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Leinster above any Irish province aren't overdoing it in terms of foreign signings.

Would I be happy if the Leinster-produced squad is slightly more so? Yes I would, but ignoring the benefits of external pros with knowledge, experience and different skill sets would be folly.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Morf wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:My team:
No insult to your team but based on Leo's selection policy in the last year or so I expect at least 5/6 players rotated in/out of 15/23.
Made a fool of again.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Morf wrote:Leinster above any Irish province aren't overdoing it in terms of foreign signings.

Would I be happy if the Leinster-produced squad is slightly more so? Yes I would, but ignoring the benefits of external pros with knowledge, experience and different skill sets would be folly.
At the end of the day, if you want to watch a team full of Leinster born players then Thomond Park is only a couple hours down the road.