Leinster v Ulster Friday 19.35

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: Leinster v Ulster Friday 19.35

Post by Ruckedtobits »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:It was a pity about the end alright but I find it hard to be unhappy after we built up such a big lead and played some great rugby. Credit to Ulster for not giving up either. That team was sent up as canon fodder and suffered an unlucky yellow card (IMO), an early injury that forced them to play a 19 year old, and a horrible injury to Curtis yet they showed a lot of heart and a fair amount of quality to put up a big score themselves.

Loved the tempo we started with and we played some great stuff with lots of variety. Everyone was getting their hands on the ball and Ulster never knew where the threat was coming from either with ball in hand or through the boot. I say this every time I see Harry Byrne play but when he has the ball he seems to be able to pick out whatever skill/decision is required. He can look set to do one thing but then another option appears and he's able to take it at the last second. We often hear that the opposition don't know what a player is going to do but the problem is that his own team mates don't either, but Byrne isn't like that, players seem to love playing off him.

Josh Murphy was much better than I thought he could be in the second row. His work rate was off the charts and he seemed to really step up as a leader.

Porter had one really freakish sack at the lineout. It wasn't called in advance but he was alive to it and aborted a lift to make it. Incredible strength to manage it the way he did and particularly impressive to do it so close to our line.

Connors was fine but we certainly didn't see the best of him as a 6, early days though.

Dooley looked very lively and powerful, would love to see him kick on in the next two games and then appear in both European games.

I thought Deegan was quite mixed. He was excellent for the most part, looked really dynamic and hungry to be involved, but there were some annoying errors and he does fall off quite a few tackles that others have to complete for him.

I know there'll be tougher tests but I was massively impressed by Salanoa. His scrummaging technique looked a bit funny but he seemed to have the power to cope with what was thrown at him and looked really comfortable. He twice wrapped Ulster players up and threw them backwards, and had two very big hits. He was well able to keep up with play, knew where to be (good pillar defence for example), and was quick to hit rucks, which might be a low bar to set but considering the guy only started playing a couple of years ago I would say that that's really encouraging. Even the way he stepped in at 9 and threw a nice pass showed that he has a good rugby brain and a bit of skill, he's definitely not just an athlete, there's a rugby player in there too. That's a good base to work from but even with me being impressed you could see that he was a bit lost on their maul try and one of those big hits I mentioned resulted in him leaving a hole beside him. And he didn't carry and we couldn't see what his basics like ball presentation are like but all things considered (including that he was only a late call up and was making his pro debut) I thought he was superb.
+1, particularly re Dooley and Murphy.
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I say this every time I see Harry Byrne play but when he has the ball he seems to be able to pick out whatever skill/decision is required. He can look set to do one thing but then another option appears and he's able to take it at the last second.
He reminds me of Cipriani in that respect
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

don't disagree with a lot of the comments on here about the game.
thought both sides showed signs of a bright future for Irish rugby....if they get quality game time and a chance to improve. Can't help but wonder if the argument for a 5th irish side makes sense. even if it is in the english premiership
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

MylesNaGapoleen wrote:don't disagree with a lot of the comments on here about the game.
thought both sides showed signs of a bright future for Irish rugby....if they get quality game time and a chance to improve. Can't help but wonder if the argument for a 5th irish side makes sense. even if it is in the english premiership
They should make London Irish a fifth Irish team and make the team completely Irish
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:It was a pity about the end alright but I find it hard to be unhappy after we built up such a big lead and played some great rugby. Credit to Ulster for not giving up either. That team was sent up as canon fodder and suffered an unlucky yellow card (IMO), an early injury that forced them to play a 19 year old, and a horrible injury to Curtis yet they showed a lot of heart and a fair amount of quality to put up a big score themselves.

Loved the tempo we started with and we played some great stuff with lots of variety. Everyone was getting their hands on the ball and Ulster never knew where the threat was coming from either with ball in hand or through the boot. I say this every time I see Harry Byrne play but when he has the ball he seems to be able to pick out whatever skill/decision is required. He can look set to do one thing but then another option appears and he's able to take it at the last second. We often hear that the opposition don't know what a player is going to do but the problem is that his own team mates don't either, but Byrne isn't like that, players seem to love playing off him.

Josh Murphy was much better than I thought he could be in the second row. His work rate was off the charts and he seemed to really step up as a leader.

Porter had one really freakish sack at the lineout. It wasn't called in advance but he was alive to it and aborted a lift to make it. Incredible strength to manage it the way he did and particularly impressive to do it so close to our line.

Connors was fine but we certainly didn't see the best of him as a 6, early days though.

Dooley looked very lively and powerful, would love to see him kick on in the next two games and then appear in both European games.

I thought Deegan was quite mixed. He was excellent for the most part, looked really dynamic and hungry to be involved, but there were some annoying errors and he does fall off quite a few tackles that others have to complete for him.

I know there'll be tougher tests but I was massively impressed by Salanoa. His scrummaging technique looked a bit funny but he seemed to have the power to cope with what was thrown at him and looked really comfortable. He twice wrapped Ulster players up and threw them backwards, and had two very big hits. He was well able to keep up with play, knew where to be (good pillar defence for example), and was quick to hit rucks, which might be a low bar to set but considering the guy only started playing a couple of years ago I would say that that's really encouraging. Even the way he stepped in at 9 and threw a nice pass showed that he has a good rugby brain and a bit of skill, he's definitely not just an athlete, there's a rugby player in there too. That's a good base to work from but even with me being impressed you could see that he was a bit lost on their maul try and one of those big hits I mentioned resulted in him leaving a hole beside him. And he didn't carry and we couldn't see what his basics like ball presentation are like but all things considered (including that he was only a late call up and was making his pro debut) I thought he was superb.
Salanoa only started playing rugby 2 years ago, not “ a couple” of years ago
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

joooooe wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I say this every time I see Harry Byrne play but when he has the ball he seems to be able to pick out whatever skill/decision is required. He can look set to do one thing but then another option appears and he's able to take it at the last second.
He reminds me of Cipriani in that respect
Yeah he was one of the players I was thinking of but felt it might be insulting to mention him :lol:

I can still remember seeing him in the RDS and even sitting in the stand it was impossible to read him.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Pilotman123 wrote: Salanoa only started playing rugby 2 years ago, not “ a couple” of years ago
Couple = 2
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

At the end of the day though, 30 missed tackles isn't good enough: https://bit.ly/2sb8vQX

We seriously need to sharpen up there. A few very bad intercepted passes as well. Not just in this game - we were loose against the Saints as well. Better teams will hurt us if we don't sort it out.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

Pilotman123 wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:

A couple would normally be two?
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

Pilotman123 wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:

There it is at last. Proof that Pilotman is just a troll.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Pilotman123 wrote:

Hey guys leave him off. Me and my 4 girlfriends are the happiest couple ever
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Salanoa played high school rugby in the USA (while focusing more on American Football), hardly a very high level but he does have some playing experience.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:
Pilotman123 wrote:

Hey guys leave him off. Me and my 4 girlfriends are the happiest couple ever
Give it time
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

Pilotman123 wrote:
MylesNaGapoleen wrote:don't disagree with a lot of the comments on here about the game.
They should make London Irish a fifth Irish team and make the team completely Irish
If possible, it makes a lot of sense. Irish living there would get behind them again, like they did back in the day when the backbone of the team really was irish. London Irish prIvately owned?
When you see ex leinster players like cooney (ulster) and beirne (munster) on fire...it makes you wonder how many others slipped through the net because of lack of proper game time. Fair enough Beirne went to scarlets and then Munster but still.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

joooooe wrote: There it is at last. Proof that Pilotman is just a troll.
Probably not worth flagging anywhere but may as well mention it here. I've long thought that Pilotman and Backrower8 are the same person and now I'm almost certain of it.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Probably not worth flagging anywhere but may as well mention it here. I've long thought that Pilotman and Backrower8 are the same person and now I'm almost certain of it.

You don’t fall for the posts where BR8 pretends to admonish pilotman when he makes one of his outrageous posts?
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Hmmm... have they ever been seen together??
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

OTT wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:

You don’t fall for the posts where BR8 pretends to admonish pilotman when he makes one of his outrageous posts?
A friend of mine once had a multi page thread on mf.com entirely composed of his various accounts arguing with each other
I have Bumbleflex
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Dave Cahill wrote:A friend of mine once had a multi page thread on mf.com entirely composed of his various accounts arguing with each other
Can't be johng because, well let's face it, he couldn't be boverred.
Must be the other lad, Jason.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

blockhead wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:A friend of mine once had a multi page thread on mf.com entirely composed of his various accounts arguing with each other
Can't be johng because, well let's face it, he couldn't be boverred.
Must be the other lad, Jason.
twas neither! I have more than two friends*

*may not be accurate
I have Bumbleflex