The 2020 Quickening

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

The 2020 Quickening

Postby johng » January 6th, 2020, 8:04 pm

Hi People

This used to be an entertaining thread but the conferences kind of messed it up. Last season we only made it to a 2nd page. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25352&hilit=quickening

This season Leinster are even further ahead. Ulster also look locked in for 2nd place. Cheetahs and Glasgow scrapping it out for 3rd.

The other conference is a little more open with 11 points covering 1st to 6th (The distance between Ulster and Leinster)

Even so you feel the top 3 may be set in stone if not necessarily in order.

Long may Leinster thrash everyone and ruin this thread on a yearly basis. :)
User avatar
johng
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 18173
Joined: March 23rd, 2009, 11:37 pm
Location: Behind You!!

Re: The 2020 Quickening

Postby deco » January 6th, 2020, 8:48 pm

A great idea for a thread which I always enjoy reading
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
User avatar
deco
Isa Nacewa
 
Posts: 2287
Joined: January 26th, 2006, 9:33 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: The 2020 Quickening

Postby ronk » January 6th, 2020, 9:33 pm

And the lead just changed in the other conference
User avatar
ronk
Rob Kearney
 
Posts: 10059
Joined: April 9th, 2009, 12:42 am

Re: The 2020 Quickening

Postby Oldschool » January 6th, 2020, 10:50 pm

Momentum.
Munster's recent run of poor results is gaining momentum, it's conceivable that they could end up in a real dog fight for the last HEC qualifying place.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
User avatar
Oldschool
Rob Kearney
 
Posts: 12377
Joined: March 27th, 2008, 2:10 pm

Re: The 2020 Quickening

Postby ronk » January 6th, 2020, 11:02 pm

At this rate they'll be lucky to avoid relegation.

Or they'll win a few matches and be back up there soon enough.
User avatar
ronk
Rob Kearney
 
Posts: 10059
Joined: April 9th, 2009, 12:42 am

Re: The 2020 Quickening

Postby curates_egg » January 6th, 2020, 11:15 pm

johng wrote:Hi People

This used to be an entertaining thread but the conferences kind of messed it up. Last season we only made it to a 2nd page. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25352&hilit=quickening

This season Leinster are even further ahead. Ulster also look locked in for 2nd place. Cheetahs and Glasgow scrapping it out for 3rd.

The other conference is a little more open with 11 points covering 1st to 6th (The distance between Ulster and Leinster)

Even so you feel the top 3 may be set in stone if not necessarily in order.

Long may Leinster thrash everyone and ruin this thread on a yearly basis. :)


As I said last year, I always look forward to this thread.
We’re so damn good this season though, I think we shut it down.
User avatar
curates_egg
Isa Nacewa
 
Posts: 2411
Joined: November 29th, 2011, 4:50 pm
Location: Brussels, Belgium

Re: The 2020 Quickening

Postby Blueberry » January 6th, 2020, 11:38 pm

Oldschool wrote:Momentum.
Munster's recent run of poor results is gaining momentum, it's conceivable that they could end up in a real dog fight for the last HEC qualifying place.


If they didn't qualify for the HEC next year the competition is over, rule 4.9 sub clause 7 - 'The HEC must have de passion and de thomond and de miracle match each season or de competition is null and void and pointless'
Blueberry
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 356
Joined: April 4th, 2017, 10:14 pm

Re: The 2020 Quickening

Postby blockhead » January 7th, 2020, 5:06 am

Conf A
Cheetahs have Kings x 3, Dragons x 2 and both Zebre and Benetton at home.
They have 7 home games left and 2 of the away games are to the Kings.
They are a serious contender for a playoff spot, maybe even 2nd if Cooney gets the calling.

Conf B
Only Kings are out of contention for top spot. It could go any way.

The self loathers may say it's a shite league but they're already dead so their opinion is worthless.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
User avatar
blockhead
Shane Jennings
 
Posts: 5738
Joined: December 14th, 2011, 2:20 pm
Location: Bastardstown, Co. Wexford

Re: The 2020 Quickening

Postby Serb » January 7th, 2020, 10:08 am

Munster will be grand. They’ll win their conference. They just played a series of games that just about every other team in the league is going to lose too — Ulster away and Leinster at home. The only real shocker for them is losing to Edinburgh at home, awful result. They’ll win their next seven league games in a row from this point imo.

For us, we’ll win the next three but we’ll get spanked away to Cheetahs, I think our conference could end up being a lot tighter in second and third but I’d still expect us to have it wrapped up with a couple of games in hand at least.
Serb
Bookworm
 
Posts: 220
Joined: March 27th, 2012, 3:27 pm

Re: The 2020 Quickening

Postby Oldschool » January 7th, 2020, 12:26 pm

ronk wrote:At this rate they'll be lucky to avoid relegation.

Or they'll win a few matches and be back up there soon enough.

To use a cliche.
Other teams will smell blood in the water, remember Dragons beating us in the RDS when MOC was at the helm.
Munster are vulnerable and a lot depends on who their next 2/3 opponents in the Pro14 are and where the matches are being played.
Joey and Beirne are out. POM and Murray are well below par and have been for a while.
Added to that Munster's conference has turned out to be extremely competitive with only one team not in the hunt for a HEC spot.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
User avatar
Oldschool
Rob Kearney
 
Posts: 12377
Joined: March 27th, 2008, 2:10 pm

Re: The 2020 Quickening

Postby Oldschool » January 7th, 2020, 12:32 pm

Serb wrote:Munster will be grand. They’ll win their conference. They just played a series of games that just about every other team in the league is going to lose too — Ulster away and Leinster at home. The only real shocker for them is losing to Edinburgh at home, awful result. They’ll win their next seven league games in a row from this point imo.

For us, we’ll win the next three but we’ll get spanked away to Cheetahs, I think our conference could end up being a lot tighter in second and third but I’d still expect us to have it wrapped up with a couple of games in hand at least.

If we get to the Cheetahs away game unbeaten (not an unreasonable possibility at this stage) then a 6/2 split on the bench might just be the difference to beating them and keeping that run going.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
User avatar
Oldschool
Rob Kearney
 
Posts: 12377
Joined: March 27th, 2008, 2:10 pm

Re: The 2020 Quickening

Postby leinsterfan100 » January 7th, 2020, 1:55 pm

Serb wrote:Munster will be grand. They’ll win their conference. They just played a series of games that just about every other team in the league is going to lose too — Ulster away and Leinster at home. The only real shocker for them is losing to Edinburgh at home, awful result. They’ll win their next seven league games in a row from this point imo.

For us, we’ll win the next three but we’ll get spanked away to Cheetahs, I think our conference could end up being a lot tighter in second and third but I’d still expect us to have it wrapped up with a couple of games in hand at least.


I wouldn't be so sure r.e. Munster. Their next 7 games in league include away trips to Treviso and .........Leinster :roll:
User avatar
leinsterfan100
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 308
Joined: January 31st, 2009, 5:43 pm

Re: The 2020 Quickening

Postby Serb » January 8th, 2020, 2:57 am

leinsterfan100 wrote:I wouldn't be so sure r.e. Munster. Their next 7 games in league include away trips to Treviso and .........Leinster :roll:


Ah I miscounted, I think they’ll lose to us in Dublin obviously, I have a feeling they’ll win the previous 6 though.
Serb
Bookworm
 
Posts: 220
Joined: March 27th, 2012, 3:27 pm

Re: The 2020 Quickening

Postby leinsterfan100 » January 8th, 2020, 1:37 pm

Serb wrote:
leinsterfan100 wrote:I wouldn't be so sure r.e. Munster. Their next 7 games in league include away trips to Treviso and .........Leinster :roll:


Ah I miscounted, I think they’ll lose to us in Dublin obviously, I have a feeling they’ll win the previous 6 though.


Yeah fair enough. Few tricky away trips but should be manageable if they can find a bit of form again, and improve their luck on injuries
User avatar
leinsterfan100
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 308
Joined: January 31st, 2009, 5:43 pm

Re: The 2020 Quickening

Postby joooooe » January 8th, 2020, 8:15 pm

leinsterfan100 wrote:
Serb wrote:
leinsterfan100 wrote:I wouldn't be so sure r.e. Munster. Their next 7 games in league include away trips to Treviso and .........Leinster :roll:


Ah I miscounted, I think they’ll lose to us in Dublin obviously, I have a feeling they’ll win the previous 6 though.


Yeah fair enough. Few tricky away trips but should be manageable if they can find a bit of form again, and improve their luck on injuries


Their "luck" on injuries isn't luck; it's fairly standard. They've lost 2 players at out half, which is not unusual, particularly given the injury profile of those players. The reason they're suffering is because they have failed to give enough gametime to the young replacements when they had the chance. Ben Healy should have been given a lot more minutes by now as this situation was completely foreseeable. Bill Johnston saw this and moved. Conor Fitzgerald's circumstances were different but the result is the same: he left Munster and got minutes; what they'd give for him now. They'll flog Hanrahan and you can guarantee that if Bleyendal comes back at some point he'll play ahead of Healy.

Leinster have given game time in the past few weeks to Harry Byrne, Ross Byrne and Frawley while our first choice 10 is injured. If Ross Byrne had to pull out at some stage in the next fortnight we wouldn't be in the hole that Munster are because we have prepared our squad for just such an eventuality.

Munster's griping is like me complaining that my slim fit shirts no longer fit: it's my fault.
joooooe
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 346
Joined: April 7th, 2009, 12:04 pm

Re: The 2020 Quickening

Postby ronk » January 8th, 2020, 9:18 pm

It's still bad luck whether the adverse event was probably or unlikely.

I slagged them off for 5 outhalves last season. I do think they've mismanaged the situation with their current resources. Leinster had Frawley and Sexton missing. We didnt go to a 6-2 bench.
User avatar
ronk
Rob Kearney
 
Posts: 10059
Joined: April 9th, 2009, 12:42 am

Re: The 2020 Quickening

Postby Oldschool » January 8th, 2020, 11:12 pm

ronk wrote:It's still bad luck whether the adverse event was probably or unlikely.

I slagged them off for 5 outhalves last season. I do think they've mismanaged the situation with their current resources. Leinster had Frawley and Sexton missing. We didnt go to a 6-2 bench.

If you know there is a storm coming and you don't prepare for it then what happens is not bad luck.
Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
User avatar
Oldschool
Rob Kearney
 
Posts: 12377
Joined: March 27th, 2008, 2:10 pm

Re: The 2020 Quickening

Postby ronk » January 9th, 2020, 12:18 am

If your neighbour also doesn't prepare and they get lucky, then you were unlucky.

If you take a risk and it doesn't pay off this time then it's bad luck. If it was a ludicrous risk, it's still bad luck, just not as bad.
User avatar
ronk
Rob Kearney
 
Posts: 10059
Joined: April 9th, 2009, 12:42 am

Re: The 2020 Quickening

Postby Oldschool » January 9th, 2020, 12:25 am

ronk wrote:If your neighbour also doesn't prepare and they get lucky, then you were unlucky.

If you take a risk and it doesn't pay off this time then it's bad luck. If it was a ludicrous risk, it's still bad luck, just not as bad.

I prefer my version of what constitutes bad luck simply because Munster's unpreparedness is now of ligindary proportions.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
User avatar
Oldschool
Rob Kearney
 
Posts: 12377
Joined: March 27th, 2008, 2:10 pm

Re: The 2020 Quickening

Postby Oldschool » January 20th, 2020, 2:39 pm

Now that the pool stages of the Heineken Champions and Challenge Cups have been completed.
What effect is qualification (or not) likely to have on the prospects of the Irish provinces both in terms of qualifying for the playoffs and the HCC next season.
Both Munster and Connacht will be able to concentrate totally on the Pro14 and that might be just enough to get them into the top four places in their conference which is likely to be a cliffhanger. Making the playoffs is going to be a close run thing as well, Munster might do it but it's hard to see Connacht doing better than 4th spot, IE HCC playoff place.
Leinster and Ulster look good for the playoff spots in the Pro14.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
User avatar
Oldschool
Rob Kearney
 
Posts: 12377
Joined: March 27th, 2008, 2:10 pm

Next

Return to Leinster Addicts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], elephantman, Google [Bot], hugonaut and 2 guests