South Africa Trip 2020

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

South Africa Trip 2020

Post by mildlyinterested »

Assuming it goes ahead what sort of 28 man squad do you send given the need to integrate the irish players back into setup and Saracens game so close?
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: South Africa Trip 2020

Post by Oldschool »

mildlyinterested wrote:Assuming it goes ahead what sort of 28 man squad do you send given the need to integrate the irish players back into setup and Saracens game so close?
Bring extra forwards with a view to playing a 6/2 bench especially against Cheetahs at altitude.
Hopefully Connacht will go 6/2 against Cheetahs.
Would beg the question as to which two backs to bench?
One of whom can kick the points if required.
Frawley perhaps?
Last edited by Oldschool on February 28th, 2020, 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Do Leinster have extra forwards if we are leaving the majority of the senior squad behind to prepare for saracens?

Fine balancing act getting everything back together to ensure we have every chance against Saracens.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Keep the following at home to prep for Saracens:

LH: Dooley, Bent
H: Kelleher, Cronin
TH: Furlong, Porter
L: Ryan, Baird
L: Toner, Molony
BS: Fardy, Ruddock
No8: Doris, Deegan
SH: McGrath, JGP
OH: Sexton, R. Byrne
LW: Lowe, C. Kelleher
IC: Henshaw, Tomane
OC: Ringrose, O'Loughlin
RW: DK, McFadden
FB: Larmour, RK

Leaving a travelling party something like:

1. Michael Milne
2. James Tracy
3. Jack Aungier
4. Jack Dunne
5. Charlie Ryan
6. Josh Murphy
7. Scott Penny
8. Jack Conan
9. Rowan Osborne
10. Ciaran Frawley
11. Barry Daly
12. Conor O'Brien
13. Jimmy O'Brien
14. Adam Byrne
15. Hugo Keenan

16. Dan Sheehan
17. Ed Byrne/Conor Maguire
18. Roman Salanoa
19. OIsín Dowling
20. Martin Moloney/Brian Deeny
21. Hugh O'Sullivan
22. Harry Byrne
23. Tommy O'Brien

Extra players:
Prop: Thomas Clarkson
Hooker: John McKee
Lock/backrow: Brian Deeny/Ronan Watters/Sean O'Brien?
Scrumhalf: Paddy Patterson
Back: Gavin Mullin

The coaches - especially McBryde - will be earning their corn that week!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

It's a delicate balance.

The likes of C. Kelleher, Ferg, Baird, Bent will go. None of them really have a shout of playing the QF barring injury.

ROL, Conan will go to for game time.

Probably Tomane, Molony also.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

wixfjord wrote:It's a delicate balance.

The likes of C. Kelleher, Ferg, Baird, Bent will go. None of them really have a shout of playing the QF barring injury.

ROL, Conan will go to for game time.

Probably Tomane, Molony also.
Think I'd have Baird as the bench lock for the qf, with Fardy switching to blindside.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

As much as I like Baird he ain't ready for the physicality of Saracens in a knock out game.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Prop
Ed Byrne - if healthy
Michael Milne
Jack Aungier
Roman Salanoa
Conor Maguire - covers both prop positions and hooker.

Hooker
James Tracy
Dan Sheehan

Lock
Ryan Baird
Jack Dunne
Charlie Ryan
Oisin Dowling

Backrow
Jack Conan
Josh Murphy
Scott Penny
Martin Moloney

Scrumhalf
Rowan Osborne
Hugh O'Sullivan
Paddy Patterson

Outhalf
Ciaran Frawley
Harry Byrne

Outside Backs
Rory O'Loughlin
Jimmy O'Brien
Conor O'Brien - if healthy
Tommy O'Brien
Hugo Keenan
Cian Kelleher
Barry Daly
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

Given the timing of the tour and the fact that (at least) one Ireland match has been cancelled, is there anything to be said for flying to SA fully loaded and treating this as a 3 match block to include the Saracens match? Get to reintegrate the internationals, do some warm weather training and get the combinations functioning in a match environment before the big one?

Various reasons not too, primarily the risk of injuries, but also being away from a world class training base in UCD, not having a full support staff, long flights and playing on hard pitches but but but it could be just what they need. Players like Andrew Porter or Ross Byrne won't have had a match in about 6 weeks by the time the Saracens match comes.

I'm not convinced of this approach at all btw but given the circumstances I think it's become more viable.
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

Really not sure how to balance this one. Seems likely that anyone who’s going to feature against Saracens is likely to be left behind. The Ireland games being cancelled kind of don’t help either as it’ll be the only chance for many players to get game time between now and then.

As for the games themselves, we’ll unfortunately lose our winning streak vs Cheetahs but should have enough to put the Kings away, leaving us only needing three wins most likely to win our pool (we’ll win the next three after the SA tour).
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

joooooe wrote:Given the timing of the tour and the fact that (at least) one Ireland match has been cancelled, is there anything to be said for flying to SA fully loaded and treating this as a 3 match block to include the Saracens match? Get to reintegrate the internationals, do some warm weather training and get the combinations functioning in a match environment before the big one?

Various reasons not too, primarily the risk of injuries, but also being away from a world class training base in UCD, not having a full support staff, long flights and playing on hard pitches but but but it could be just what they need. Players like Andrew Porter or Ross Byrne won't have had a match in about 6 weeks by the time the Saracens match comes.

I'm not convinced of this approach at all btw but given the circumstances I think it's become more viable.

I think this has a lot of merit, if the Paris match doesnt go ahead. Maybe give the first XV a run in the firat match
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Serb wrote:Really not sure how to balance this one. Seems likely that anyone who’s going to feature against Saracens is likely to be left behind. The Ireland games being cancelled kind of don’t help either as it’ll be the only chance for many players to get game time between now and then.

As for the games themselves, we’ll unfortunately lose our winning streak vs Cheetahs but should have enough to put the Kings away, leaving us only needing three wins most likely to win our pool (we’ll win the next three after the SA tour).
IF the Italian games get cancelled and split(increasingly likely as the back log builds up) then we only need 2 more wins after losing to the cheetahs and beating the kings.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Interested as I may be ig the playing party travelling to S Africa, I'm equally interested in the identity of the Coaches who will travel with the party.

There must also be speculation as to whether the full Leinster Squad will meet up over the next week or so given the cancellation of the Italy 6N game. Getting all the Squad on the same page strategically and tactically must be considered important at this point, particularly in the light of the form of many of the previously "fringe" players.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Meeting in Paris today to decide the next steps. Could well have a decision early this week on the France fixture.

It's a no brainer for me to have the full senior squad travel if the France game is pulled. Good chance to get some combinations back as well as playing at altitude. You could spin this into a very positive thing ahead of the quarter final.
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Interested as I may be ig the playing party travelling to S Africa, I'm equally interested in the identity of the Coaches who will travel with the party.

There must also be speculation as to whether the full Leinster Squad will meet up over the next week or so given the cancellation of the Italy 6N game. Getting all the Squad on the same page strategically and tactically must be considered important at this point, particularly in the light of the form of many of the previously "fringe" players.
We might find that a group of Leinster coaches and staff could decide to take a holiday to South Africa over the next few weeks. Like Tom Court's Lions call up in 09.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Interested as I may be ig the playing party travelling to S Africa
Congrats RTB!
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

I seem to recall that the Pro14 put a restriction on the playing squad that can travel for games in South Africa but is it allowed for Leinster to bring as many players as they like on their own money just for training purposes?
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

cormac wrote:I seem to recall that the Pro14 put a restriction on the playing squad that can travel for games in South Africa but is it allowed for Leinster to bring as many players as they like on their own money just for training purposes?
Presumably not, otherwise Isa and JPG wouldn't have made that ridiculous double round-trip a couple of years ago.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

What does not having a Visa have to do with squad size restrictions?
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Is there actually a squad size restriction or is it perhaps the case the Pro 14 limit the number of players and staff members a team can bring and anything above that the visitors pay for themselves? If the latter and should the France vs Ireland match be cancelled I would suggest sending a travelling party consisting of all front liners, a second team and some more on top plus the complete coaching staff with a view to using the Kings and Cheetahs matches as prep for the Saracens match. The boost in morale such a tour could create should not be underestimated (J10 could do with pick-me-up, I reckon). Ditto training at altitude.