Leinster Squad announced

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

jezzer wrote:

I thought jowitt was only on a year deal, but surely he'll stay on...?
If we keep pouring beer into him he'll never leave :lol:
I have Bumbleflex
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Re: Leinster Squad announced

Post by Darce »

apple sourz wrote:Leinster Squad to face Toulouse...

Forwards (14): Will Green, Reggie Corrigan, Ronan McCormack, Emmett Byrne, David Blaney, Brian Blaney, Bernard Jackman, Malcolm O’Kelly, Bryce Williams, Cameron Jowitt, Niall Ronan, Keith Gleeson, Jamie Heaslip, Eric Miller

Backs (11): Guy Easterby, Brian O’Riordan, Brian O’Meara, Felipe Contepomi, Girvan Dempsey, Brian O’Driscoll, Kieran Lewis, Shane Horgan, Denis Hickie, Gordon D’Arcy, Rob Kearney
so we could guess the XV will be:

15 Swerve
14 Shaggy
13 Drico
12 Darce
11 Disco Boots
10 Dr. Phil
9 EasterBunny

1 Reggie
2 Brian Blaney
3 Green
4 Bryce
5 Mal
6 Jowitt
7 Gleese
8 Jamie

no quibbles with that myself
Last edited by Darce on March 29th, 2006, 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Shaggy and Denis will be the wingers
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

Shaggy and Denis will be the wingers
Its definitly better to start with the two experienced men. We could bring on super Rob towards the end for impact.
fitz
Bookworm

Post by fitz »

With 6 second/back rowers, it looks like a straight choice between jowitt & miller for the last backrow spot, and if they go for miller then between jowitt & williams for the 2nd row with mal.

All this means that he will have two props on the bench. Not a bad idea as reggie will put in a good 60mins and then will be ready to collapse.

v. dissapointed gissing didnt get in. he'd be just the ticket for taking on brennan. no doubt he will head for the door at the end of the season. why do we disgard all forwards that show plenty of aggression (like yer man on the left!).

think they got it right putting in bommer. nyanga & co will target dr. c. he's our most influential player. experienced backup is required and bommer, while not ideal, fits the bill as anyone else available.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

fitz wrote:
think they got it right putting in bommer. nyanga & co will target dr. c. he's our most influential player. experienced backup is required and bommer, while not ideal, fits the bill as anyone else available.
Plus, hes in the best shape of his life, apparently
I have Bumbleflex
Big Deep Blue
Bookworm

Post by Big Deep Blue »

You too Dave, you too.
Where the blind leadeth the blind.....Get out of the way.
CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

Dave Cahill wrote:
fitz wrote:
Plus, hes in the best shape of his life, apparently
Why is everyone assuming that we'll pick Bommer? The last two HEC matches have had no FH cover on the bench. To be honest with the game we play I'd prefer any of our outside backs to step into 10 rather tham BOM and that seems to be the feeling with Cheika too.
fitz
Bookworm

Post by fitz »

well then why is he in the 25?
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

CM wrote:The last two HEC matches have had no FH cover on the bench.
CM,

Was Hepworth not in both squads? I can't recall, but if he was he'd have been OH cover. Cheika played Bommer in the A game at OH, so I guess he's considering a change of tack...
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

Was Hepworth not in both squads
No, the sub backs were BOR, Lewis and Kearney
Uncle Mort
Shane Horgan

Post by Uncle Mort »

jezzer wrote:...so I guess he's considering a change of tack...
You don't think this means that C+K are thinking that maybe, Hepworth has not quite made the grade in Union?
"I don't think Edinburgh is the place it used to be"
epaddy
Shane Horgan

Post by epaddy »

Uncle Mort wrote:
jezzer wrote:...so I guess he's considering a change of tack...
You don't think this means that C+K are thinking that maybe, Hepworth has not quite made the grade in Union?
Who could possibley think such a thing
*** image removed by mod ***

Epaddy, Freedom Fighter
the_git
Graduate

Post by the_git »

Ah but he looked so good in the second half against the Borders :wink:
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

I seem to remeber Darce stepping in at 10 when Dr. Phil got binned vs. Turnipstan in january and performing exemplarly. but then again it was the Turnipstan backs
CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

fitz wrote:well then why is he in the 25?
fitz, he's been in every squad announced this year practically. Same with the three hookers when they've all been fit.

O'Riordan has started 2 and subbed for the rest of the HEC games. He's clearly 2nd choice to Easterby. Don't see why that would change.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

If he's not thinking of him for a reserve OH, why is he on the panel? Hasn't been near Easterbunny or BOR for a start in months...
epaddy
Shane Horgan

Post by epaddy »

jezzer wrote:If he's not thinking of him for a reserve OH, why is he on the panel? Hasn't been near Easterbunny or BOR for a start in months...
If one get injured, Bommer goes on the bench
*** image removed by mod ***

Epaddy, Freedom Fighter
CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

jezzer wrote:If he's not thinking of him for a reserve OH, why is he on the panel? Hasn't been near Easterbunny or BOR for a start in months...
jezzer, in any 25 man panel there's always going to be overlaps. I don't know why he doesn't just announce the 22 because we all know what it's going to be (well obviously not as this thread shows!).

I'd be more inclined to think that O'Meara is playing 10 in the A games to get gametime rather than FH time. And BOR gets the 9 jersey in the A games because he's 2nd choice and needs gametime in his preferred position.

I'd be surprised if BOM was on the bench, that's all. We don't play a kicking game and when we do kick we work it to BOD, Hickie, Kearney or Dempsey anyway so I'd prefer a player in the mould of Contepomi slotting in at 10 - someone who can take the ball to the gainline and make the odd breaks, someone who's a decent ball carrier and offloader. So D'Arcy, Horgan or BOD.

Put it this way, do you think we're more likely to beat Toulouse with:

Easterby, BOM, Hickie, BOD, D'Arcy, Horgan, Dempsey or
Easterby, D'Arcy, Hickie, Horgan, BOD, Kearney, Dempsey?
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

CM wrote:Put it this way, do you think we're more likely to beat Toulouse with:

Easterby, BOM, Hickie, BOD, D'Arcy, Horgan, Dempsey or
Easterby, D'Arcy, Hickie, Horgan, BOD, Kearney, Dempsey?
With Bommer. No placekicker otherwise. You gonna ask Kearney or Girv to become placekicker? i agree it's not a prospect I'd look forward to and I'm not saying he's definitely gonna be in the 22 (your memory for previous squads is better than mine as far as no backup OH), but i think we could kiss any chance of victory goodbye if we ended up with no placekicker on the field. Bommer's game always suffered when he was saddled with placekicking duties, but at least he has a pedigree.