Irelands Best 2nd row stays with Leinster

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

sewa wrote:But you are accepting there is a problem in midfield defence..
sewa, Italy had three linebreaks in total. One was in the 10/12 channel. Can't remember the other two but our defence was pretty solid all day. Don't forget one of BOD's missed tackles in that stat would be the one he made on Bergamasco for the try but since he didn't bring him down fully it counts as a missed tackle and you'd be mad to hold that against him as he was well down the list of players who should have made the tackle.

So no, we don't have very big midfield defence problems.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

sewa wrote:But you are accepting there is a problem in midfield defence. Trimble might be the answer.
No I think getting wing forwards to cover the fringe rather than the centers drifting inside leaving a gap is the answer.....
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
sewa
Mullet

Post by sewa »

CM wrote:
sewa wrote:But you are accepting there is a problem in midfield defence..
sewa, Italy had three linebreaks in total. One was in the 10/12 channel. Can't remember the other two but our defence was pretty solid all day. Don't forget one of BOD's missed tackles in that stat would be the one he made on Bergamasco for the try but since he didn't bring him down fully it counts as a missed tackle and you'd be mad to hold that against him as he was well down the list of players who should have made the tackle.

So no, we don't have very big midfield defence problems.
You dont think ye have but if you read the other posts from leinster fans here they dont agree with you. There are several posts about BOD in particular missing tackles. As for Flash's point on the back row covering across its very hard for them to cover over all of the midfield. The out half wodul typically be closest and they would often have trouble covering his channel.
CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

There are several posts about BOD in particular missing tackles.
Eh, yeah, mainly from me. He's allowed miss a couple when coming back to full fitness especially given his overall contribution. And half the tackles he's missed weren't even his to make.

Look, it's a stupid argument. If you think dropping BOD would be a good idea then I'm sincerely glad you're not Irish coach and it'll also put your general opinion into question whenever you're trying to argue anything else to do with rugby.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Bod and Flash missed 5 tackles last weekend. That's not good enough. That channel has been a big problem for Leinster regardless of the personnel involved. I wonder if the centers are being coached to drift inside.....thus exposing a gap?
Sewa, take your point alright on the wing forwards....but for Ireland Stringer is too small to stop pretty much anyone and Rog(or Humph) aren't reknowned tacklers.......
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

Flash Gordon wrote:Bod and Flash missed 5 tackles last weekend. That's not good enough. That channel has been a big problem for Leinster regardless of the personnel involved. I wonder if the centers are being coached to drift inside.....thus exposing a gap?
Sewa, take your point alright on the wing forwards....but for Ireland Stringer is too small to stop pretty much anyone and Rog(or Humph) aren't reknowned tacklers.......
I reckon they're just both guarding themselves against injury in the "lesser" matches - they've both gone through hell with injuries and are probably terrified of a repeat. BOD alluded to it a few times in his book. That article by Franno really opened my eyes to what players at that level have to go through.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Duff Paddy wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:Bod and Flash missed 5 tackles last weekend. That's not good enough. That channel has been a big problem for Leinster regardless of the personnel involved. I wonder if the centers are being coached to drift inside.....thus exposing a gap?
I reckon they're just both guarding themselves against injury in the "lesser" matches - they've both gone through hell with injuries and are probably terrified of a repeat. BOD alluded to it a few times in his book. That article by Franno really opened my eyes to what players at that level have to go through.
You might be right -recall that he talked about i when he got injured vs Italy previously and ended up in the cold chamber in Poland..... :cry:
CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

That article by Franno really opened my eyes to what players at that level have to go through.
Franno went up a bit in my estimation with that article. I still detest him as a journalist but it puts into perspective why we all thought he was a lazy bas**rd.
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

CM wrote:
That article by Franno really opened my eyes to what players at that level have to go through.
Franno went up a bit in my estimation with that article. I still detest him as a journalist but it puts into perspective why we all thought he was a lazy bas**rd.
Franno comes across as a complete and utter c~*k, but everyone still buys the Tribune and reads his column. But credit where credit is due, that was a fantastic piece of sports journalism.
CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

Franno comes across as a complete and utter c~*k, but everyone still buys the Tribune and reads his column.
Very true. I was disappointed that he didn't apologise for his claims that there was no way Leinster would get out of their group though.
But credit where credit is due, that was a fantastic piece of sports journalism.
Sure was.
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

I hate the way he starts every article with a ridiculous little anecdote that has no relevance to anything. It's like something you'd read in a junior cert essay.
sewa
Mullet

Post by sewa »

Duff Paddy wrote:I hate the way he starts every article with a ridiculous little anecdote that has no relevance to anything. It's like something you'd read in a junior cert essay.
Its direct from the David Mc Williams school of journalism. Breakfast roll guy etc etc.
epaddy
Shane Horgan

Post by epaddy »

sewa wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:I hate the way he starts every article with a ridiculous little anecdote that has no relevance to anything. It's like something you'd read in a junior cert essay.
Its direct from the David Mc Williams school of journalism. Breakfast roll guy etc etc.
Do not diss David Mc Williams the guy is a god

*** image removed by mod ***

Epaddy, Freedom Fighter
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

epaddy wrote:
sewa wrote:

I can tell you some serious dirt on that guy. He's a mug!
sewa
Mullet

Post by sewa »

Duff Paddy wrote:
epaddy wrote:
sewa wrote: Its direct from the David Mc Williams school of journalism. Breakfast roll guy etc etc.

I can tell you some serious dirt on that guy. He's a mug!

No Declan Kidney is God. He is just a guy who makes ridicilous comparisons and generalises about everything. Jeebus Paddy its not you is it?