Stephen Jones' Lions XV

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

suisse
Shane Jennings

Stephen Jones' Lions XV

Post by suisse »

We all tought there were a few gaps in Jerry Guscot's team, but wait until you see this - as printed in today's Sunday Times under a picture of a few morons having a glass of wine.

No Brian O'Driscoll, no Paul O'Connell.

I guess this is how you beat the Boks.........

Lee Byrne
Rob Kearney
Tom Shanklin
Gavin Henson
Shane Williams
Stephen Jones
Mike Phillips
Andrew Sheridan
Ross Ford
Phil Vickery
Simon Shaw
Alun-Wyn Jones
Tom Croft
Ryan Jones (c)
David Wallace

The Grand Slam Champions have 2 players in the Lions XV. Wales have 6 of the 7 backs, and England makes up half the pack. If Ross Ford is the token Scot, then Kearney and Wallace are token Irish.

Why doesn't he just select Leigh Halfpenny at 14, Lee Mears at 2 and Martin Williams at 7 - make it a fully Welsh/English selection
suisse
Shane Jennings

Re: Stephen Jones' Lions XV

Post by suisse »

David Walsh: "So far in this Six Nations Ireland haven't actually lost that many games"

We won the Grand Slam David, therefore, we lost 0 games.
cj
Graduate

Post by cj »

Rediculous!
Though in fairness I would have most of the Welsh backline too - certainly their halfbacks, Williams, L. Byrne and possibly Shanklin.
How he could justify leaving Drico (or Paulo) out after that 6N is astounding.
Wind-up merchant. He's not paid to agree with what everyone thinks.
ratpack
Mullet

Post by ratpack »

the article was obviously written before the game yesterday, i'd imagine some opinions have changed since.

Besides that, why the hell would anyone read what Guscott or Jones have to say. Jones in particular is a moron, he's worse than Franno.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Ryan Jones would be the worst possible choice as captain imo. His trip on O'Gara yesterday being a classic example of why he's a terrible captain plus he's completely out of form anyway.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Jones is a grade A cretin.
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

Just shocking he left the best 13 slash 7 (Bod covering both aspects) in the world out of that team!
Saturday 23rd May 2009 - Number 1
Saturday 21st May 2011 - Brace
Saturday 19th May 2012 - Hatrick!
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

suisse wrote:David Walsh: "So far in this Six Nations Ireland haven't actually lost that many games"

Hows the head?? :-)
Saturday 23rd May 2009 - Number 1
Saturday 21st May 2011 - Brace
Saturday 19th May 2012 - Hatrick!
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

Donny B. wrote:Jones is a grade A cretin.

Which one?.......

oh sod it, all of em..........!!!!!!!! :lol:
ratpack
Mullet

Post by ratpack »

mikey wrote:

Which one?.......

Even Tom? 8)
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

ratpack wrote:
mikey wrote:

Which one?.......

Even Tom? 8)
ah, ok all except (sir) Tom.....(now thats he's stopped dyeing his hair!)

but the rest of them........yes! (especially the t@$$£r who writes for the London Times!)
darkside lighteside
Graduate

Post by darkside lighteside »

the standard of rugby journalism really is execrable - there's no way that someone who clearly knows so little about the game could ever hold down an equivalent job covering football. Jones is one of these complex-ridden, self-loathing celts who crop up in rugby circles in England (Ian Robertson of the BBC is another) and it amazes me that the dross he churns out gets published. I remember before the last lions tour he 'called' the lions squad the week before it was announced, and even given the cr@p squad that actually was picked, his selection was just laughable... so one reason for comfort is that he isn't very good at reading the runes (in fact I could safely widen that statement, to say 'he isn't very good, at anything')

I'd say that the lions squad is likely to be based around the core of the Irish team - for no other reason than that Ireland's defence was so consistently excellent - the only team who had our line under any serious pressure was France, after that according to the official stats England won the ball in our 22 9 times, Italy 3 times, Scotland 3 times and Wales 5 times (our respective stats were 12, 47, 29 and 36...) and the main reason for that was BOD (the best drift defender at 13 in the world by a mile) and our back row, so for me they all start, as does POC (obviously), Fla, and probably 2 on the wing from Bowe, Fitzgerald and Kearney, with Byrne likely to shade it at 15..
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

I just don't read any of Stephen Jones' articles... problem solved.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

ratpack wrote:the article was obviously written before the game yesterday, i'd imagine some opinions have changed since.

Besides that, why the hell would anyone read what Guscott or Jones have to say. Jones in particular is a moron, he's worse than Franno.
That article was written 6 months ago and no his opinion hasn't changed.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

ratpack wrote:
mikey wrote:

Which one?.......

Even Tom? 8)
And Zeta
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

simonno6 wrote:
suisse wrote:David Walsh: "So far in this Six Nations Ireland haven't actually lost that many games"

Hows the head?? :-)
:D

I sent an e-mail to my brother in Japan last night, and when writing it, the whole thing made an awful lot of sense to me at the time. But just viewed it again this morning. Looks ridiculous.

The ST would wake anyone up
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Your bringing cretins into disrepute!
Hopelessly Devoted
Learner

Post by Hopelessly Devoted »

Stephen Jones is a prize fool and a gusset merchant.
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

Hopelessly Devoted wrote:Stephen Jones is a prize fool and a gusset merchant.

Now that is a quality phrase - Gusset merchant - does this means he buys and sells gussets?....or perhaps just trades occasionally in gussets and other items of personal attire?!

Personally I think thats too good a phrase for this excuse of a human being.....I swore i'd not buy another Murdock rag, but being rather limited over here for choice ended up with The London Times (as well as the Rugby paper and Irish Independent) - not bad coverage of the win, then turned the page to see the mans vitriol - what the heck has BOD ever done to him - i;d have taken the paper back for a refund if i;d not defaced his picture already!!....
Hopelessly Devoted
Learner

Post by Hopelessly Devoted »

mikey wrote:
Hopelessly Devoted wrote:Stephen Jones is a prize fool and a gusset merchant.

Now that is a quality phrase - Gusset merchant - does this means he buys and sells gussets?....or perhaps just trades occasionally in gussets and other items of personal attire?!

Personally I think thats too good a phrase for this excuse of a human being.....I swore i'd not buy another Murdock rag, but being rather limited over here for choice ended up with The London Times (as well as the Rugby paper and Irish Independent) - not bad coverage of the win, then turned the page to see the mans vitriol - what the heck has BOD ever done to him - i;d have taken the paper back for a refund if i;d not defaced his picture already!!....
He wears gussets on his face while typing tripe for the Sunday Times.