Who should captain the lions.

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Re: Who should captain the lions.

Post by Danthefan »

intothewest wrote:In the words on Ron Burgundy...agree to disagree...you need a forward (more gnarled the better) to lead in Sith Afrika...a la Willie John or Johnson and POC is as close as there is at the moment. I've a feeling he will get it too, but if BOD gets it, you couldnt begrudge him....and no, a hit in a ML game from 3 years ago has nothing to do with it...
Why do we need a forward exactly?
Skyhawk
Mullet

Post by Skyhawk »

I really don't give a toss who Captains the Lions, who ever it is best of luck to them......move on :?
intothewest
Graduate

Post by intothewest »

Danthefan wrote:
intothewest wrote:In the words on Ron Burgundy...agree to disagree...you need a forward (more gnarled the better) to lead in Sith Afrika...a la Willie John or Johnson and POC is as close as there is at the moment. I've a feeling he will get it too, but if BOD gets it, you couldnt begrudge him....and no, a hit in a ML game from 3 years ago has nothing to do with it...
You could argue Dan that the Boks will focus on the forward battle. They feel they can win by bullying the lions pack into submission, and therefore the Lions figurehead should be in the thick of the resistance so to speak. Its just a point of view. Im quite sick of this captaincy argument already (even though its great to be having such an argument) when are they going to announce the bloody thing, so we can all get behind whoever it is?
"Ne jamais pas perdre sa passionne..ou s'en..eloigner vite!."...E.C

“Did he have hands? Did he have a face, yes? Then it wasnt us.”..Sergei Malatov
Kyle
Knowledgeable

Post by Kyle »

I think no matter whether POC is the captain or not he's going to be the figurehead of the pack, much like with Ireland.

I think they're announcing the captain on April 21st with the squad, so thats another 3 weeks of the speculation so!
Brannigans Law is like Brannigans love, hard and fast!
rookie
Graduate

Post by rookie »

Haven't read all the posts here. I believe the bookies have stopped taking bets on this, and its going to be POC.
My heart says POC, my head says BOD. I feel that BOD would be more confident talking in front of a lot of new faces. Saying that, POC will lead by example anyway.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Danthefan wrote:
Couldn't agree more.
This is SA we're talking about.
Ireland would gives these guys a run for their money without any outside help.
BOD is the OUTSTANDING" candidate.
Anyway who cares? - it's only the lions.
Look at the lions results against all comers - Probably worse than any of the 6Ns.
(Barring a one off against the ABs a millenium ago)
The only benefit for lions players, is that it might improve them as players, playing an extra few test matches and being exposed to new ideas.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Provincial Towns
Enlightened

Post by Provincial Towns »

fourthirtythree wrote:
Provincial Towns wrote:It's an unbelievably tight call.

In a way it makes absolute logical sense to put the lions squad under the ledership of BOD as captain and POC as vice given that it's a proven form combo, but given the braoder base of players, Geech may want to break that up.

But when you try to come up with alternatives, POC and BOD are so far ahead of anyone else that it's impossible to imagine a captain/vice captain combo omittnig either of them.

You also have to think about what's best for Irish and Leinster rugby. Has BOD enough on his plate? The relinquishing of the Leisnter captaincy seems to have done him the world of good and he's been playing as well as ever with the national team. If it all goes belly up in SA, what effect will that have on him going into next season? If the same happens with BOD and POC as captain, what effect will that have for the national taem going into next season?
I think it will be O'Connell. He won't want to have a vice captain from the same country and I don't see BOD as anybody's vice/semi/under/deputy anything. Same with O'Connell by the way.
So which Welsh player will be vice captain?
I tend to agree with you there
Ollie Le Reed
Learner

Post by Ollie Le Reed »

BOD, has to be, the best player in Northern Hemisphere.

Although Johno did a great job in 97?
Thats the life for me..... ROCK STAR!!!
TrueBlueGazelligator
Bookworm

Post by TrueBlueGazelligator »

Always a fan of forwards as captains, more down to earth...(usually) .They have to do the donkey work so they don't waste the ball. POC would be my choice. That said BOD is no prima donna so i'd be happy either way.
Kryten: I've never seen anything like this before, a group of men who display all the normal life signs but seem totally incapable of movement
Holly: Never seen QPR play away then?
gizmo82
Beginner

Post by gizmo82 »

only one man for it and thats BOD. as for POC he went missing against the kiwi's in 05. true you might need a big man to lead the team,but on form and leadership this year it has to be bod. now lets just hope they remember the 99 call!!