IT - POC set to captain Lions

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

Danthefan
Rob Kearney

IT - POC set to captain Lions

Post by Danthefan »

If it was anyone other than himself or BOD it would be a travesty. Personally I'd have gone for BOD, he performed and captained brilliantly during the 6N. Still not sure about POCs decision making under pressure.
O'Connell set to captain Lions
Ireland's Paul O'Connell looks set to to be named as the Lions' captainIreland's Paul O'Connell looks set to to be named as the Lions' captain

GERRY THORNLEY and JOHN O'SULLIVAN

PAUL O’CONNELL looks set to be named as captain of the Lions by Ian McGeechan when the 35 or 36-man squad is announced at a Heathrow Hotel on April 21st. It is believed that O’Connell’s on-field presence in the secondrow and leadership are seen by McGeechan and the Lions management as ideal to lead the tourists against the Springboks this summer.

Brian O’Driscoll captained the Lions in New Zealand four years ago before his tour was cruelly cut short in the opening moments of the first Test, and he did nothing to damage his chances of captaining them for a second time in leading Ireland to a Grand Slam. Indeed, O’Driscoll was yesterday named as the Player of the Six Nations, but McGeechan is expected to plump for the 29-year-old Munster captain.

As the rumours and bets on O’Connell have intensified some bookmakers have already suspended betting on the captaincy.

Meanwhile, the British and Irish Lions players will receive €40,873 per man as a basic stipend for this summer’s tour to South Africa. It is nearly double the tour fee of €23,558 paid to the Lions squad for their ill-fated trip to New Zealand in 2005.

A source close to the players confirmed the win bonus is a relatively modest €2,151 going up to €4,307 for a second Test success. There is believed to be no additional bonus for winning the series 3-0. The players will also benefit from certain commercial commitments with in the region of €107,522 available in a central fund for the squad.

To realise their playing and financial goals will be a difficult assignment in the backyard of the current world champions, South Africa. The Lions can, however, take heart from the fact that they have managed to win a series there twice in the past, 1974 and on their last visit in 1997.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Re: IT - POC set to captain Lions

Post by Donny B. »

Peter O'Reilly in today's ST says this story is horseshit and purely a reaction to a certain self-publicising bookie!

You're spending too much time in Paddy Powers Gerry! :lol:
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Also seemed to insinuate that his "spat" with Gatland could hurt his chaces. Not sure how relevant it is myself
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Kyle
Knowledgeable

Post by Kyle »

sarah_lennon wrote:Also seemed to insinuate that his "spat" with Gatland could hurt his chaces. Not sure how relevant it is myself
sure i think thats all cleared up now if the press is to be believed! although your right shouldn't really be relavant.
Brannigans Law is like Brannigans love, hard and fast!
papachino
Graduate

Post by papachino »

thats not going to happen, its gotta be BOD!!!!
ruck
Rhys Ruddock

Post by ruck »

papachino wrote:thats not going to happen, its gotta be BOD!!!!
but it's not going to be.
I am the one who knocks!
papachino
Graduate

Post by papachino »

ruck wrote:
Well find out soon anyways.....
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

ST say POC has the Lions captaincy.

While I would have given it to BOD myself, POC is a fine captain and it might do Drico no harm not to be the centre of attention this time.
Kyle
Knowledgeable

Post by Kyle »

cant really argue with it, would've liked BOD to have been given another crack but sure now he can just concentrate on being the world class player that he is.
Brannigans Law is like Brannigans love, hard and fast!
Bosco
Mullet

Post by Bosco »

papachino wrote:
ruck wrote:
found out last week
ruck
Rhys Ruddock

Post by ruck »

Bosco wrote:
papachino wrote:
found out last week
shhhhhhhh :lol:
I am the one who knocks!
Bosco
Mullet

Post by Bosco »

oh yeah, Ian McGeechan told me to say natin
gleesonisgod
Mullet

Post by gleesonisgod »

Met him the other day and asked him. Wouldn't answer but went smiley and got very shy. I reckon it's him. Wanted a straight answer so I could put the house(that I don't own) on it! No joy though.
I like to think of Jesus like with giant eagles wings, and singin' lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd with like an angel band and I'm in the front row and I'm hammered drunk!
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

From the bbc:
Ireland lock Paul O'Connell will be named as British & Irish Lions captain for this summer's tour of South Africa.

Head coach Ian McGeechan will announce the 36-man squad to face the world champions at 1330 BST on Tuesday.

Ireland's Grand Slam-winning skipper Brian O'Driscoll was the other main contender for the captain's armband.

But McGeechan has opted for the Munster captain, 29, who will follow Lions legends Willie John McBride and Martin Johnson as captains in South Africa.

McBride led the 1974 "Invincibles" on their unbeaten tour of the country, one of two Lions tours McGeechan featured in as a player.

He then chose Johnson as captain for the victorious 1997 tour, the last time the Lions visited South Africa.

On that occasion McGeechan said he opted for Johnson as an 'physical presence to knock on the Springboks dressing-room door and intimidate them', although Johnson himself believes that was a 'bit of kidology'.

O'Connell, one of six players to start all three Lions Tests in New Zealand four years ago, has been in superb form for Munster, who he captains, and Ireland this season.

There was some doubt about his captaincy hopes when he criticised Wales coach Warren Gatland, who will be the Lions forwards coach, after Ireland's Grand Slam-clinching victory in Cardiff last month.

606: DEBATE
O'Connell will do a great job I'm sure - he's a great example, inspirational

neiliog93

O'Connell was upset with Gatland's pre-match claim that the Welsh players despised their Irish counterparts more than any others, suggesting the New Zealander needed to keep his ego in check.

But the pair spoke in the days after the match and Lions tour manager Gerald Davies said the row is over.

No player other than the captain will be informed of his selection in advance, so leading candidates from the four home nations have an anxious wait before McGeechan finalises the final party.

The Wasps director of rugby was understood to have decided on 30 of his squad before the weekend, before inking in the final names.

Six Nations Grand Slam champions Ireland are set to have the largest representation, and could surpass their record of 11 they provided to Sir Clive Woodward's bloated 45-man squad to New Zealand.

Magners League leaders and Heineken Cup semi-finalists Munster look set to provide the largest contingent from one club.

The record number of players from one club on a Lions tour is eight, held by Newport for the 1910 tour, and Leicester in 2005.

The squad will leave for the 10-match tour, which includes Tests in Durban, Pretoria and Johannesburg, on Sunday 24 May, a day after the Heineken Cup final.
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

Well done to him and I am sure he will be an excellent captain.
Get in the f%~king bag.
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

our very own neilog is famous! I can only imagine it is the dream of any 606 poster to be quoted in a fairly major article!
Saturday 23rd May 2009 - Number 1
Saturday 21st May 2011 - Brace
Saturday 19th May 2012 - Hatrick!
Hickiefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Hickiefan »

Slipper1 wrote:Well done to him and I am sure he will be an excellent captain.

What he said. Fair play and great to have another Irish Lions captain.
Qui me amat, amet et Leinsterum meum.
grimbo
Beginner

Lions Captain

Post by grimbo »

grimbo
Beginner

Re: Lions Captain

Post by grimbo »

it's in the guardian aswell:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/ap ... -mcgeechan

can't see any mention in the Irish press.
grimbo
Beginner

Re: Lions Captain

Post by grimbo »

double post for some reason...