Lions News

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

Skyhawk
Mullet

Re: Lions News

Post by Skyhawk »

Donny B. wrote:You can just imagine the Times Stephen Jones crying into his pillow that his beloved Gavvy Wavvy won't be going on the tour.

With a bit of luck he'll go into a massive sulk now and refuse to go on the tour! :D

Oh and the suggestion that Wilko play at twelve is a really, really, really bad one. It was four years ago and it still is.
Its people like you, Donny B, that make Jones so successful with his imbecilic ramblings
Disquieting Presence
Bookworm

Post by Disquieting Presence »

Skyhawk wrote:Genuine question and would like to hear peoples thoughts.....

Since rugby has gone professional, has the Lions tour become meaningless (apart from a cash machine)?
Hi Skyhawk. This seems to come up at every lions tour, and to be honest I think it was foil for a badly managed tour under Woodward. As long as the Lions remain competitive in the three tests and the rugby is of a high quality, I'd say it definitely isn't meaningless. The truth is that the Lions have a long history of losing, bit it amateur or professional. That's just my opinion though.

That said, looking at the prospective line up for each team, this could be one of the weakest line-ups ever. Compare it the 2001 team and it could get embarassing IMO.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Disquieting Presence wrote:That said, looking at the prospective line up for each team, this could be one of the weakest line-ups ever. Compare it the 2001 team and it could get embarassing IMO.
Dunno DP. Dafydd James, Rob Henderson, Iain Balshaw....all played in the tests in 2001. All good players but not exactly vintage Lions. When you consider the likes of Ben Cohen, Tyrone Howe and Martin Corry all toured. They range from the honest and hardworking to the ridiculously lucky to tour. I don't think anyone on the 2009 tour will be much worse to be honest. 6N is lacking a dominant force in world rugby at the moment but I don't think the tour is going to be the walkover some anticipate.
Kyle
Knowledgeable

Post by Kyle »

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... 062092.ece

Seems as though Jonny is definitely out!
Brannigans Law is like Brannigans love, hard and fast!