Lions News

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Lions News

Post by sarah_lennon »

Casualty #1. Good news for Bod, he might even make the plane now! :roll:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/ma ... union-team

Henson hobbles out of Lions plans• Welsh centre out of action for up to six weeks. Gloucester's Mike Tindall also under injury cloud.
The Wales centre Gavin Henson, who has started only 11 matches in the last 12 months because of a succession of injuries, faces missing out on the Lions tour to South Africa after being told last night that ankle ligament damage he sustained playing for the Ospreys last weekend will rule him out of action for up to six weeks
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Kyle
Knowledgeable

Re: Lions News

Post by Kyle »

since he'll be injured when the squad is announced it would be interesting to see if the pick him. honestly i've always felt that if they brought Henson they may as well go a man down. While he's undoubtedly talented and is capable of moments of brilliance lately is is prone to becoming a passenger in a game and being selfish.

If this is good news for anybody really its D'arcy.
Brannigans Law is like Brannigans love, hard and fast!
alterego
Knowledgeable

Post by alterego »

Kyle wrote:since he'll be injured when the squad is announced it would be interesting to see if the pick him. honestly i've always felt that if they brought Henson they may as well go a man down. While he's undoubtedly talented and is capable of moments of brilliance lately is is prone to becoming a passenger in a game and being selfish.

I reckon Tyndall or Shanklin would (rightly or wrongly) be selected ahead of D'Arcy.
Kyle
Knowledgeable

Post by Kyle »

alterego wrote:
Kyle wrote:since he'll be injured when the squad is announced it would be interesting to see if the pick him. honestly i've always felt that if they brought Henson they may as well go a man down. While he's undoubtedly talented and is capable of moments of brilliance lately is is prone to becoming a passenger in a game and being selfish.

I reckon Tyndall or Shanklin would (rightly or wrongly) be selected ahead of D'Arcy.
i just mean in terms of going on the tour itself. I'd say Shanklin is the best bet to partner BOD, Tindall is injured as well remember.
Skyhawk
Mullet

Post by Skyhawk »

Genuine question and would like to hear peoples thoughts.....

Since rugby has gone professional, has the Lions tour become meaningless (apart from a cash machine)?
Kyle
Knowledgeable

Post by Kyle »

i dont think it has become meaningless. I think it means a lot to the players and its still a great honour for them. As well as that its a major deal in the countries they go to tour, really a player from a SANZAR country only ever gets on shot at the Lions, you can see with all of the SA players staying at home to play that it means a lot to them.

As well as that i know there are calls within the NZRU to return the All Blacks to their roots as a touring side (with the match against Munster being their example). There is still a great demand for touring sides. your right as well when you say teh Lions is a major cash machine!
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Dunno about the Lions. The Baabaas have become diluted though
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

alterego wrote:

They'll take 4 centres more than likely. BOD, Flutey and Shanklin will travel imo. Then we have Tindall, Henson, D'Arcy, Evans and Roberts fighting it out for the final spot I think.

Henson looks unlikely now and Tindall will need to get uninjured, back on the pitch and do something to get in still. He's a contender though. Evans will be a political selection if he goes. Roberts is my bet but think D'Arcy did himself no harm at the weekend and a good performance against Quins against a mediocre one for Roberts in the QF could well see him sneak in.
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

D'Arcy looks like an outside bet to me at the moment. He's shown remarkable form since coming back from injury though, and would be worth his place on the plane. Class again at the weekend.
harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Post by harryp »

In my honest opinion Henson should start at 12. Up until his latest injury he was in the form of his career & I think his running style will suit BOD at 13 better than Flutey, D'arce or Roberts.

Just on the money machine point, I don't believe that it is in its entirety, but you must remember how much money Sky puts behind the tour. As Sky's largest audience is England, any Lions test squad will include a disproportionate number of English players, so the test team will probably not resemble too many Irish or Welsh fans selections. I would expect 4 to 5 English players from TH, Hooker (possibly), Lock, 6, 9, Wilko (if fit) and Lewsey.
Ladyboys, Ladyboys
Ladyboys oh Ladyboys :wink:
Kyle
Knowledgeable

Post by Kyle »

i dunno about England providing a starting lock, i think POC and AW Jones are the front runners. Croft definitely has a shot at the 6 jersey and who knows what would happen if Wilkinson has a cracking end to the season. Coudld he start at 12 like in the last tour perhaps? with jones or ROG at 10?
Kyle
Knowledgeable

Post by Kyle »

sarah_lennon wrote:Casualty #1. Good news for Bod, he might even make the plane now! :roll:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/ma ... union-team

Henson hobbles out of Lions plans• Welsh centre out of action for up to six weeks. Gloucester's Mike Tindall also under injury cloud.
The Wales centre Gavin Henson, who has started only 11 matches in the last 12 months because of a succession of injuries, faces missing out on the Lions tour to South Africa after being told last night that ankle ligament damage he sustained playing for the Ospreys last weekend will rule him out of action for up to six weeks
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_u ... 973176.stm

seems Henson is starting to feel sorry for himself.
intothewest
Graduate

Post by intothewest »

Very insecure guy is our Chav id say...what with the fake tan and the "questioning your future" while still in your mid 20's an all....poor mite!
"Ne jamais pas perdre sa passionne..ou s'en..eloigner vite!."...E.C

“Did he have hands? Did he have a face, yes? Then it wasnt us.”..Sergei Malatov
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

harryp wrote:In my honest opinion Henson should start at 12. Up until his latest injury he was in the form of his career & I think his running style will suit BOD at 13 better than Flutey, D'arce or Roberts.

Just on the money machine point, I don't believe that it is in its entirety, but you must remember how much money Sky puts behind the tour. As Sky's largest audience is England, any Lions test squad will include a disproportionate number of English players, so the test team will probably not resemble too many Irish or Welsh fans selections. I would expect 4 to 5 English players from TH, Hooker (possibly), Lock, 6, 9, Wilko (if fit) and Lewsey.
Ehhh, when was this?
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

Personally wouldn't have any problems with Shanklin in midfield with BOD, rate that guy very highly and looks like he's back to his best as well.
As for the concept beomcing meaningless, I don't think so. It means a huge thing for fans and players alike. Also, talking to a kiwi mate recently about the apathy of fans, the last time he could remember them really caring and being noisy at a match was during the lions tour. The reason being its unique and only comes around every 12 years.
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
Hickiefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Hickiefan »

I see he got a police caution today too for his role in the post England match shenanigans in Cardiff

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7976729.stm
Qui me amat, amet et Leinsterum meum.
Leinster Exile
Mullet

Post by Leinster Exile »

Sounds like he wants to quit , or maybe just looking for sympathy

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_u ... 973176.stm
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

harryp wrote:In my honest opinion Henson should start at 12. Up until his latest injury he was in the form of his career & I think his running style will suit BOD at 13 better than Flutey, D'arce or Roberts.

Brave call on Henson. I don't agree, but considering the amount of bile and venom directed towards him here, and elsewhere, shows a bit of metal to say that :) I think he has spent most of the season (when fit, and not internally suspended by the Ospreys) looking either disinterested or distracted. When he's moved away from IC, he looks constantly in no man's land, and completely unsure of himself on the pitch.

If Lewsey goes, then he's a liar. How can he say he is quiting England partly because he is spending too long away from home; yet is prepared to spend two months in South Africa. If you can't committ to the 6 Nations, you have to be expected not to committ to the Lions. Lewsey should be watching the matches with me in the 12th Lock come the summer
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

You can just imagine the Times Stephen Jones crying into his pillow that his beloved Gavvy Wavvy won't be going on the tour.

With a bit of luck he'll go into a massive sulk now and refuse to go on the tour! :D

Oh and the suggestion that Wilko play at twelve is a really, really, really bad one. It was four years ago and it still is.
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

Danthefan wrote:D'Arcy looks like an outside bet to me at the moment. He's shown remarkable form since coming back from injury though, and would be worth his place on the plane. Class again at the weekend.
Not to mention the advntage he has of being BOD's regular centre partner for the past 4-5 years. I must admit that I would have no problem with Shanklin being selected ahead of Darce as I've always rated him and he's having a fine season but Henson or Tindall?
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......