Sky Pundits pick Lions XVs

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Sky Pundits pick Lions XVs

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Disquieting Presence wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Comer Toes wrote:Do you really think that Ryan Jones is among the best 6/7 back-rows in the 4 countries? He was shocking on Sunday and was anaonymous in the 6N also.
Completely agree, if he wasn't the Welsh captain then he wouldn't be on the map as regards the Lions. He was pathetic on Sunday. If you look at Earls 2nd try you'll see him standing in the middle of the field making no effort to get back and his captaincy when one of the Ospreys was being spoken to by the ref was absolutely abysmal. For me Ferris,Wallace,Heaslip,Leamy, Jonathan Thomas (although i'm not sure if he'll be fit), Powell, Croft and Strokosch are all better.
I'm not a huge fan of Ryan Jones but I would be stunned if he doesn't go ahead of Leamy. He has size and he is a better ball carrier than Leamy and for political reasons if nothing else, he will go. Leamy is a work horse with a massive engine but I don't feel he makes the massive plays that get you on the plane.
I agree that Jones will go but that doesn't mean he should.Once in SA he'll be found out and won't get near the test team imo.
Comer Toes
Graduate

Post by Comer Toes »

I agree that it's unlikely he'll be left out but you haven't said which player you'd take? Jones has not carried well at all this season - the shunting backwards he took from Wallace in the 2nd half on Sunday was embarassing.

I don't 'smell red roses' but I do want to see as many Irish players travel as possible. I think the magic number will be 11, though it should be 13/ 14.
Disquieting Presence
Bookworm

Post by Disquieting Presence »

Comer Toes wrote:I agree that it's unlikely he'll be left out but you haven't said which player you'd take? Jones has not carried well at all this season - the shunting backwards he took from Wallace in the 2nd half on Sunday was embarassing.

I don't 'smell red roses' but I do want to see as many Irish players travel as possible. I think the magic number will be 11, though it should be 13/ 14.
35 players are being brought, so that would suggest 8 backrows would go: I would guess they'd bring Wallace, Heaslip, Ferris, Croft, Worsley, Jones, Williams, Powell... then maybe your strokoshs, leamy, barclay, et al

I think Leamy is a great player but he just necessarily make the BIG plays that get you noticed, he's there or there abouts, but I think considering gatland and geech will lump guys ahead of him
Kyle
Knowledgeable

Post by Kyle »

i dunno about 8 backrows.

2 for each position then an extra hooker, flyhalf, scrumhalf, prop and two backs. that gives us 36 which is the number i'd say he'd go for.
Brannigans Law is like Brannigans love, hard and fast!
dipper
Knowledgeable

Post by dipper »

I find some of the choices of these "experts" baffling. Jamie Roberts on the wing?? Vickery will be no good as he takes a 10 minutes sin bin break in most matches.

It's all about making the squad at the moment because only BOD, POC, Jenkins and Wallace are guaranteed a place on the test team IMO. I would have had Shane Williams in that group but his place is under threat.
Disquieting Presence
Bookworm

Post by Disquieting Presence »

Kyle wrote:i dunno about 8 backrows.

2 for each position then an extra hooker, flyhalf, scrumhalf, prop and two backs. that gives us 36 which is the number i'd say he'd go for.
Sorry, you're right, I was working off 2 sets of 22. :oops:
papachino
Graduate

Post by papachino »

Will Greenwood has it, almost, to a tee!!! Jamie Roberts.... NA!!!!!!!!!