Sky Pundits pick Lions XVs

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

Disquieting Presence
Bookworm

Sky Pundits pick Lions XVs

Post by Disquieting Presence »

Three times Lions tourist Will Greenwood has omitted Shane Williams from his Sky Sports Lions XV for the first Test against the Springboks on June 20.
The former England centre, who toured with the Lions in 1997, 2001 and 2005, admits he is a big fan of the Welsh wing wonder but that William’s present form means there are better options for a starting berth in Durban.
"With confidence I think he's (Williams) the finest winger in world rugby, but at this precise moment in time, on the back of his ankle injury, the way he's been playing and his defensive lapses, I've decided to leave him out," said Greenwood, after he and fellow Sky Sports Rugby Club pundits Stuart Barnes and Dewi Morris aired their opinions on the best Britain and Ireland have to offer.

"I've gone for the bigger burlier type of winger in Jamie Roberts. Let Shane Williams come off the bench and do his stuff."

Williams may only be on the bench when it comes to Greenwood’s dream XV but a fellow Welshman heads the list when it comes to guaranteeing selection.

"I think Gethin Jenkins is going to be the cornerstone of this Lions pack," added Greenwood.

"How he hasn't been named as one of the top three players in the Six Nations I don't know. He's been absolutely wonderful for Wales in the tight, the set piece and also the loose.

"Jenkins is a big carrier, has a tremendous work-rate and is a fantastic tackler. If we're talking about Pierre Spies, John Smit and Schalk Burger, you want a prop forward who is running around and making tackles.

"For all the wonders of (Paul) O'Connell and (Brian) O'Driscoll, my first name on the teamsheet is Jenkins."

Gethin Jenkins has the backing of Stuart Barnes, Dewi Morris and Will Greenwood

Barnes, Greenwood and Morris agreed on eight of their starting line up with all three handing Brian O’Driscoll the captaincy and pairing Paul O’Connell with Alun Wyn Jones in the second row.

Stephen Jones, Riki Flutey, David Wallace, Tom Croft and Jenkins were the other players given the vote of confidence by all three pundits, with Wallace named at No8 by Barnes and Morris and on the openside flank by Greenwood.

"You're going to need a few warriors out there, which is why I've put Phil Vickery in, and Delon Armitage has had an outstanding Six Nations and will thrive on the hard ground," said Barnes when explaining his choices on Sky’s Rugby Club.

"Tactical decision-making is going to be very important, which is why I've got Jerry Flannery at hooker, O'Connell in the second row and David Wallace at No8. They're decision-makers and that's what you need against the Springboks.

"I've gone for Wallace at eight because I think Jamie Heaslip is a pale imitation of Pierre Spies, Andy Powell isn't bright enough and Nick Easter isn't quick enough. We've seen Wallace do it so many times for Munster and I think he's at the peak of his game. He's quick, powerful and he'll thrive in South Africa.

"That also means you get Martyn Williams at seven. The best back rows in Britain and Ireland are Williams and Wallace and I want them both in my team."

David Wallace, a Lion in 2001, earns a starting place in all three line ups

Following Tommy Bowe’s try-scoring heroics in Ireland’s Grand Slam triumph against Wales, Morris is keen to see the Ospreys wing make even more headlines in South Africa.

The ex-England scrum-half, who toured New Zealand alongside Barnes in 1993, has named Bowe in an all Ospreys back three that also includes Williams and Lee Byrne.

In the only position in which all three former Lions disagree, Morris names Sale’s Dwayne Peel at No9, while Barnes and Greenwood plump for Mike Blair and Mike Phillips respectively.

"One guy I definitely want to see in there is Bowe," said Morris, who made eight appearances for the Lions 16 years ago, playing in all three internationals against the All Blacks.

"I think he's been tremendous. His appetite, coming in off the wing looking for the ball is sensational. He's quick, aggressive and will thrive coming up against the likes of Bryan Habana.

"I think Mike Phillips' form has gone down, as has Mike Blair's from the autumn.

"I know Peel has been carrying an injury but I think he's an all-rounded scrum-half. He's got a good head, hands and feet and if he gets back to good form and fitness he will cause problems for any defence."

Morris believes Ireland's Six Nations hero Tommy Bowe has to start against the Boks

Ireland’s Six Nations clean sweep hasn’t been reflected in a similar dominance of the sides selected by the former Lions trio, however, with the first two pundits selecting only four Irishmen in their starting XVs and Greenwood picking five.

Welshmen dominate the lineups, with Morris naming seven Wales stars and Barnes and Greenwood selecting six apiece.

All four countries are represented in each of the three XVs, something that didn’t happen in any of the last three Lions Tests on the 2005 tour of New Zealand.

Stuart Barnes’ Lions XV

15 Delon Armitage
14 Jamie Roberts
13 Brian O'Driscoll (c)
12 Riki Flutey
11 Shane Williams
10 Stephen Jones
9 Mike Blair
1 Gethin Jenkins
2 Jerry Flannery
3 Phil Vickery
4 Alun-Wyn Jones
5 Paul O'Connell
6 Tom Croft
7 Martyn Williams
8 David Wallace

Dewi Morris’ Lions XV

15 Lee Byrne
14 Tommy Bowe
13 Brian O'Driscoll (c)
12 Riki Flutey
11 Shane Williams
10 Stephen Jones
9 Dwayne Peel
1 Gethin Jenkins
2 Ross Ford
3 Euan Murray
4 Alun-Wyn Jones
5 Paul O'Connell
6 Tom Croft
7 Martyn Williams
8 David Wallace

Will Greenwood’s Lions XV

15 Lee Byrne
14 Tommy Bowe
13 Brian O'Driscoll (c)
12 Riki Flutey
11 Jamie Roberts
10 Stephen Jones
9 Mike Phillips
1 Gethin Jenkins
2 Jerry Flannery
3 Euan Murray
4 Alun-Wyn Jones
5 Paul O'Connell
6 Tom Croft
7 David Wallace
8 Jamie Heaslip
BlueArmyOriginal
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Sky Pundits pick Lions XVs

Post by BlueArmyOriginal »

None of them went for Ferris? Really?! I'd have him and Leamy ahead of Croft any day. Barnes' Armitage at 15 is a pick based on 2 games for England this year as the only 2 times he's been better than Byrne or Kearney this season imo.
'And striding away now! For Leinster, is Brian O'Driscoll! He's Running for the posts, he could be running for the Final here! We've got a quarter of the match to go but at the moment the colour is Blue!!' Myles Harrison; Croke Park; 2nd May 2009
Kyle
Knowledgeable

Post by Kyle »

whats with Roberts on the wing? i mean i know he offers soem physicality but is that really a reason to pick him over the others?
Brannigans Law is like Brannigans love, hard and fast!
Disquieting Presence
Bookworm

The English seem to have a hard on for Croft at the moment. He fast and he is an extra line out option but he is a bit willowy to be sending to SA

Armitage strikes me as a bit of card board player, I think he would found out badly

Ferris has to start at 6 IMO

The big selection crisis for me is Wally or Williams at 7
Kyle
Knowledgeable

Post by Kyle »

i think that Wallacew could be a good bet for the 8 jersey, thats if want williams at 7 that badly!
Brannigans Law is like Brannigans love, hard and fast!
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

Disquieting Presence wrote:The English seem to have a hard on for Croft at the moment. He fast and he is an extra line out option but he is a bit willowy to be sending to SA

Armitage strikes me as a bit of card board player, I think he would found out badly

Ferris has to start at 6 IMO

The big selection crisis for me is Wally or Williams at 7
Tom Croft
Height: 1.98m (6’ 6’’)
Weight: 105kg (16st 7lb)

Stephen Ferris
Height 1.93 m (6' 4")
Weight 109 kg (17 st 2 lb)

H'mmmm, see what you mean....

Five Pounds what's that? A pre-game pro-biotic shake/couple of bananas and a bottle of water...?? :lol:

I'd always prefer to see an Irish player involved but there's not doubt that Croft's in decent form too, and with the stength of the Bokke lineout the Lions Mgmt will be looking to have options all the way down the line. It will be a deciding factor I feel for selction which may work slightly against Ferris, on the plus side Ferris & Burger head to head no holds barred awesome.....
Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even. Muhammad Ali
Hickiefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Hickiefan »

Sea_point wrote:
Five Pounds what's that? A pre-game pro-biotic shake/couple of bananas and a bottle of water...?? :lol:
Think 4kg is closer to 9lb... and Ferris is reputedly incredibly strong but your point stands about there not being a whole lot in it.
Qui me amat, amet et Leinsterum meum.
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

Hickiefan wrote:
Sea_point wrote:
Think 4kg is closer to 9lb... and Ferris is reputedly incredibly strong but your point stands about there not being a whole lot in it.
Don't forget the extra 2 inches in height as well. Devin Toner is nearly 20 stone but no-one has ever labelled him a powerhouse. I would definitely be going for Ferris.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Who had a better 6N? IMHO Ferris did. He has come on leaps and bounds this year, plus his physicality would be a huge bonus in SA imagine a big rumbling battle between himself and Schalk Burger Jr!
Disquieting Presence
Bookworm

Two inches taller and 3/4 of stone lighter is signifcant.

If you had a player who was playing full back who was, say, compared to Kearney, 6'3 and 13st 5 pounds I think it would be safe enough say he is not as strongly built.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

I see a re-appraisal is required.
Ireland GS winners and now two HC semi-finalists. Ah the luck of the Irish.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
darkside lighteside
Graduate

Post by darkside lighteside »

it's a bit fecking rich from Barnes (who I think is pretty decent, despite his Munster-love) to say that Heaslip is a 'pale imitation' of Spies - this is the same Pierre Spies I presume who has the highest missed tackle count in the S14?? I haven't seen much s14 this season, in all fairness, but my feeling in the past is that Spies is all very well show-ponying around off a good platform, but doesn't like it up him much, and if the Lions can keep it tight and dirty (I think there's a film title in there somewhere) he could be found out
darkside lighteside
Graduate

Post by darkside lighteside »

but at least someone is finally having the bottle to drop the outrageously over-rated shane williams, who turned in the latest of his series of gash performances this season on Sunday
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

What is the story with picking players out of position. Wallace was played at 7 all 6n in the grandstand winning team yet they want him to play at 8. Earlier they proposed kearney on the wing - yet playing international level at FB. They either believe that what some players are asked to do at club level outweighs what the international coach has proved to be their best position at a higher level
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
Comer Toes
Graduate

Post by Comer Toes »

Great weekend for the Irish in terms of hammering home Lions’ claims. However, I don’t think D’Arcy has done enough in the last few weeks to sneak in. BOD, Luke and Heaslip were outstanding again, Kearney has certainly slipped off the test team but will make the plane.

Leamy may have done enough though. Ryan Jones shouldn’t be near that plane. Ditto Hook and Adam Jones. Earls looking like a good outside bet. Martyn Williams again showing why he has to start on the openside.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Comer Toes wrote:Great weekend for the Irish in terms of hammering home Lions’ claims. However, I don’t think D’Arcy has done enough in the last few weeks to sneak in. BOD, Luke and Heaslip were outstanding again, Kearney has certainly slipped off the test team but will make the plane.

Leamy may have done enough though. Ryan Jones shouldn’t be near that plane. Ditto Hook and Adam Jones. Earls looking like a good outside bet. Martyn Williams again showing why he has to start on the openside.
Comatose - Would you ever wake and stop smelling red roses.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Disquieting Presence
Bookworm

Oldschool wrote:
Comer Toes wrote:Great weekend for the Irish in terms of hammering home Lions’ claims. However, I don’t think D’Arcy has done enough in the last few weeks to sneak in. BOD, Luke and Heaslip were outstanding again, Kearney has certainly slipped off the test team but will make the plane.

Comatose - Would you ever wake and stop smelling red roses.
Agreed, Ryan Jones will go ahead of Leamy. Adam Jones will also go, THs will be himself Murray and maybe one of Vickery/White. Are they taking 3 or 4 THs?
Comer Toes
Graduate

Post by Comer Toes »

Do you really think that Ryan Jones is among the best 6/7 back-rows in the 4 countries? He was shocking on Sunday and was anaonymous in the 6N also.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Comer Toes wrote:Do you really think that Ryan Jones is among the best 6/7 back-rows in the 4 countries? He was shocking on Sunday and was anaonymous in the 6N also.
Completely agree, if he wasn't the Welsh captain then he wouldn't be on the map as regards the Lions. He was pathetic on Sunday. If you look at Earls 2nd try you'll see him standing in the middle of the field making no effort to get back and his captaincy when one of the Ospreys was being spoken to by the ref was absolutely abysmal. For me Ferris,Wallace,Heaslip,Leamy, Jonathan Thomas (although i'm not sure if he'll be fit), Powell, Croft and Strokosch are all better.
Disquieting Presence
Bookworm

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Comer Toes wrote:Do you really think that Ryan Jones is among the best 6/7 back-rows in the 4 countries? He was shocking on Sunday and was anaonymous in the 6N also.
Completely agree, if he wasn't the Welsh captain then he wouldn't be on the map as regards the Lions. He was pathetic on Sunday. If you look at Earls 2nd try you'll see him standing in the middle of the field making no effort to get back and his captaincy when one of the Ospreys was being spoken to by the ref was absolutely abysmal. For me Ferris,Wallace,Heaslip,Leamy, Jonathan Thomas (although i'm not sure if he'll be fit), Powell, Croft and Strokosch are all better.
I'm not a huge fan of Ryan Jones but I would be stunned if he doesn't go ahead of Leamy. He has size and he is a better ball carrier than Leamy and for political reasons if nothing else, he will go. Leamy is a work horse with a massive engine but I don't feel he makes the massive plays that get you on the plane.