Lions Squad Discussion

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Lions Squad Discussion

Post by simonno6 »

suisse wrote:The lads on the TV reckoned that the Munster-Leinster game may just have swung things in Earls' favour. Anyone think the same game may just have swung things the other way for John Hayes? He took a lot of punishment from Cian Healy, and perhaps the management thought we couldn't afford to bring a tighthead to South Africa who was targeted so well by a novice at European level, and still un-capped for his country.
tinker wrote:I think a 3rd out-half should have been brought. Flutey is a 12 the majority of the time and in SA the Lions need experienced players playing in their regular positions so i would have brought another 10 and left a winger at home.
Did Riki Flutey play 10 the day Wasps thumped Leicester to win the GP Final last season? Maybe McGeechan thought there was enough there to convince him that Flutey could be trusted in the most extreme circumstances?
He 'made his name' in the NH after a really good season at 10 for London Irish. His goal kicking was questionable though - Leigh Halfpenny will cover the kicking duties if Flutey ends up there due to injury.
Saturday 23rd May 2009 - Number 1
Saturday 21st May 2011 - Brace
Saturday 19th May 2012 - Hatrick!
Spraggs
Bookworm

Post by Spraggs »

I'm pretty pleased that all this Haskell and Croft business has been sorted, neither of them were up to much apart from a coordinated line from Sky Sports. Apart from that it's great to see Earls tio get the nod. Also on a purely Leinster biased line I would have loved to see BOD getting a proper shot at captain but O'Connell should be good. McGeechan picked his own team independent of the English press after their France game, that's all I could have asked for.
Am considering giving myself a sexy Cedric Heymans pirate scar.
Munsterboy
Mullet

Post by Munsterboy »

Great result for Irish rugby.

Delighted for Quinlan cos I think he's made for a tour like this. Unlikely to make the first test side but will be a standard bearer for the midweek team and who knows what could happen?

TOL may be a bolter for the test team. He's a fierce competitor and will really put it up to Phillips.

Glad to see that McGeechan stuck with proven international forwards rather than giving into pressure to bring the likes of Croft. We'll need hard b$&%@#ds out there.
We're all red on the inside.
Hopelessly Devoted
Learner

Post by Hopelessly Devoted »

Brilliant to have 14 Irish on the team, well done to all. Delighted for Quinnie, Earls & TOL especially. Feel sorry for Marcus, the Bull, Leamy, Darcy and Best.
POC captain, good stuff.
dingbat
Mullet

Post by dingbat »

Couldn't be happier for Quinlan. Well done to all the Irish lads.
fairly lively
Beginner

Post by fairly lively »

fair play to all irish lads & the 4 blues especially... glad to see Quinnie getting in, the old dog will be just whats needed... as a blue have to say POC deservedly captain as has been outstanding over last couple of months... think it'll be good for BOD as he can concentrate on his game (what odds on similar try to 2001!)...

anyway, we can worry about all that after saturday week when we put the confederates back in their box !!! :lol:
'too many chiefs, not enough indians'
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

I don't for one minute believe the Quinny is turning up just to make the dirttracker team. He may be at the back of the line of back rows but just watch him push all the way.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:One downside for O'Leary (whose performance against the Ospreys really was brilliant) is that nobody outside Ireland can pronounce or even spell his name correctly!
Barnesy calls him Toe-Mass :D . Think it was down as Thomas O'Leary on the big screen.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Overall very happy with the squad. There will be selection quibbles as always but overall think Geech has got the balance right.

After Woodward's monstosity of a squad, he's got the numbers right too. Guys will be involved straight away, they'll all be able to room and train together and hopefully this will help to create the bond you need to win in South Africa, the type of bond which was so clearly missing in New Zealand last time.

Wouldn't be too concerned about the two fly-halfs. Flutey can fill in in case of emergency and a replacement can arrive in a couple of days. If he'd brought a third fly-half he would have been obliged to give him a game and with quite a short tour he needs to get his half-backs right as soon as possible.
icebaby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by icebaby »

Donny B. wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:One downside for O'Leary (whose performance against the Ospreys really was brilliant) is that nobody outside Ireland can pronounce or even spell his name correctly!
Barnesy calls him Toe-Mass :D . Think it was down as Thomas O'Leary on the big screen.
and what about 'Donka' O'Callaghan as they called him in NZ last time round? :)
"Look what Leinster have done again"
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Quinlan's versatility may see him making the 22 on the bench. He can cover 2nd row as well as across the back row.

His form has been excellent and it was a good idea given the shortness of the tour to bring him. Just shows the depth of the Irish back row when someone who's arguably the 4th choice blindside is going on the Lions (Ferris, Leamy, Neil Best, Quinlan). But there's a fair bit of youth out wide on the tour.

Guys like Kearney, Fitzgerald, Earls, Halfpenny and Roberts are some seriously exciting -- but unproven -- backs. I'm very surprised about Earls, his form has been excellent but I've had questions about his defence and he's coming to the table very late. He's bolting but what defence is age when all those other players have actually done a lot more by the age Earls is now. But, meh, I was expecting a 35/36 man tour. They don't represent much risk but mightn't have much time to prove themselves if they have to step off a plane after the HC final.

People have asked what Croft has done to deserve the hype. I'm not disagreeing with leaving him behind but he's (very, very) fast, skilful and a good lineout option. But really what he did is he was MOTM against France, the game that saved England's season and Johnson's job. It was a great performance and he's highly rated for the future but his problem is that he's done it when his team is on the front foot. He's not one to win tight battles. Not someone like Quinlan. But he's just another high profile 6 not going on the tour.
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

Donny B. wrote:Overall very happy with the squad. There will be selection quibbles as always but overall think Geech has got the balance right.

After Woodward's monstosity of a squad, he's got the numbers right too. Guys will be involved straight away, they'll all be able to room and train together and hopefully this will help to create the bond you need to win in South Africa, the type of bond which was so clearly missing in New Zealand last time.

Wouldn't be too concerned about the two fly-halfs. Flutey can fill in in case of emergency and a replacement can arrive in a couple of days. If he'd brought a third fly-half he would have been obliged to give him a game and with quite a short tour he needs to get his half-backs right as soon as possible.
The thing about this time 4 years ago when woodward announced his squad is that there was really nothing much to talk about. All the tight-calls were just brought along anyway!
Saturday 23rd May 2009 - Number 1
Saturday 21st May 2011 - Brace
Saturday 19th May 2012 - Hatrick!
Kyle
Knowledgeable

Post by Kyle »

simonno6 wrote:
Donny B. wrote:Overall very happy with the squad. There will be selection quibbles as always but overall think Geech has got the balance right.

The thing about this time 4 years ago when woodward announced his squad is that there was really nothing much to talk about. All the tight-calls were just brought along anyway!

as well as all of the England world cup 2003 squad that hadn't retired!
Brannigans Law is like Brannigans love, hard and fast!
dipper
Knowledgeable

Re: Expect surprises when Ian McGeechan picks Lions

Post by dipper »

ceemec wrote:Will Carling has been saying the rumours he has heard in the past 24 hours. Says he's not sure about them but they're coming from a source that has always been reliable in the past:

Sheridan not to tour.
Danny Care to be picked.
Robinson to go as 3rd outhalf.
Powell left at home.
Shane Williams possibly left out too.
Will Carling should find some more reliable sources! :P :P
downsouthdukin
Mullet

Post by downsouthdukin »

ronk wrote:Quinlan's versatility may see him making the 22 on the bench. He can cover 2nd row as well as across the back row.

His form has been excellent and it was a good idea given the shortness of the tour to bring him. Just shows the depth of the Irish back row when someone who's arguably the 4th choice blindside is going on the Lions (Ferris, Leamy, Neil Best, Quinlan). But there's a fair bit of youth out wide on the tour.

Guys like Kearney, Fitzgerald, Earls, Halfpenny and Roberts are some seriously exciting -- but unproven -- backs. I'm very surprised about Earls, his form has been excellent but I've had questions about his defence and he's coming to the table very late. He's bolting but what defence is age when all those other players have actually done a lot more by the age Earls is now. But, meh, I was expecting a 35/36 man tour. They don't represent much risk but mightn't have much time to prove themselves if they have to step off a plane after the HC final.

People have asked what Croft has done to deserve the hype. I'm not disagreeing with leaving him behind but he's (very, very) fast, skilful and a good lineout option. But really what he did is he was MOTM against France, the game that saved England's season and Johnson's job. It was a great performance and he's highly rated for the future but his problem is that he's done it when his team is on the front foot. He's not one to win tight battles. Not someone like Quinlan. But he's just another high profile 6 not going on the tour.
Hes 21 for goodness sake.. !!!!
Big match from Munster.Don't really understand the criticism of their so called ugly rugby.I love open running rugby but I also admire the collective mastery of this Munster team.What a beautiful machine with that ruthless side to them.
downsouthdukin
Mullet

Re: Expect surprises when Ian McGeechan picks Lions

Post by downsouthdukin »

dipper1984 wrote:
ceemec wrote:Will Carling has been saying the rumours he has heard in the past 24 hours. Says he's not sure about them but they're coming from a source that has always been reliable in the past:

Sheridan not to tour.
Danny Care to be picked.
Robinson to go as 3rd outhalf.
Powell left at home.
Shane Williams possibly left out too.
Will Carling should find some more reliable sources! :P :P
I'd like to think his "reliable sources" also posted this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03gpzFZadcQ..
Big match from Munster.Don't really understand the criticism of their so called ugly rugby.I love open running rugby but I also admire the collective mastery of this Munster team.What a beautiful machine with that ruthless side to them.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

downsouthdukin wrote:
ronk wrote:Quinlan's versatility may see him making the 22 on the bench. He can cover 2nd row as well as across the back row.

So. He's not the only young talent on the tour. A lot of people are talking about his age and how that's a reason why he hasn't had more high level games. He's very talented this tour might be the making of him or he might not be ready. Don't see the harm in bringing him myself.

But he's about a month younger than Fitzgerald and older than Halfpenny. Roberts is only 22. Why is no one talking about their ages.

There are a few guys touring who are on the cusp of making the breakthrough to world class status.
downsouthdukin
Mullet

Post by downsouthdukin »

ronk wrote:
downsouthdukin wrote:

So. He's not the only young talent on the tour. A lot of people are talking about his age and how that's a reason why he hasn't had more high level games. He's very talented this tour might be the making of him or he might not be ready. Don't see the harm in bringing him myself.

But he's about a month younger than Fitzgerald and older than Halfpenny. Roberts is only 22. Why is no one talking about their ages.

There are a few guys touring who are on the cusp of making the breakthrough to world class status.

So??? what do you mean so? i havent said that keith earls is the most amazing 21 year old the world have ever seen.
i was merely pointing out your frankly remarkable conclusion that hes coming to the table late and that age has been used to somehow mask the fact he hasnt played for ireland till this year.
age has nothing to do with anything bar when your too old.... its possibly the fact he has only played against canada for ireland this year makes it a remarkable achievement that he has been selected.obviously geech has been watching alot of munster and would have noted his defensive lapses.
i think your crossing some wires between age and experience maybe?
downsouthdukin
Mullet

Post by downsouthdukin »

ronk wrote:
downsouthdukin wrote:

So??? what do you mean so? i havent said that keith earls is the most amazing 21 year old the world have ever seen.
i was merely pointing out your frankly remarkable conclusion that hes coming to the table late and that age has been used to somehow mask the fact he hasnt played for ireland till this year.
age has nothing to do with anything bar when your too old.... its possibly the fact he has only played against canada for ireland makes it a remarkable achievement that he has been selected.obviously geech has been watching alot of munster and would have noted his defensive lapses.
i think your crossing some wires between age and experience maybe?
leinstergobrea
Beginner

Post by leinstergobrea »

Only big surprise is there was no room for a workhorse like John Hayes. I think it's brilliant that 14 of the players are Irish and that Earls was picked. I feel sorry for Gordon D'Arcy though - it's a shame that he wasn't picked given how well he played when he came back from injury.

Shane Byrne in his Ireland.com blog says getting picked for the Lions is one of the most special things in the career of a rugby player. Here's the link if anyone' s interested: http://blog.ireland.com/n/blogs/blog.as ... shanebyrne

link here too - can't work out this link thing properly, sorry [*http://blog.ireland.com/n/blogs/blog.as ... shanebyrne]