Lions Squad Discussion

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Lions Squad Discussion

Post by ronk »

I found it a bit interesting that a 21 year old with no competitive international experience and who's been talented but very raw at club level got picked when there are so many other guys about the same age with similar prospects who have actually done it in the tight matches.

Munster's form at the moment is such that Earls hasn't really been tested in a real battle. He's shone in a dominant team and I hope he does well but I feel that at least some of the hype comes from the fact that he's the first real prospect outside the outhalf that Munster have produced for as long as I can remember.

I can remember Barry Murphy having a few good games and starting to hear a lot of talk about he was threatening BOD's place. Munster have a very effective marketing machine that can sometimes be in danger of hyping things too far. There's a little insecurity from the fact that they imported a backline and the nearest they've come in the professional era to producing an international standard back (excluding half backs) is Anthony Horgan.

Any player who shows any promise for Munster is their new great wide hope. Some of the hype about Earls should be seen in that light. He's a lot further from the finished article than some people realise.
downsouthdukin
Mullet

Post by downsouthdukin »

ronk wrote:I found it a bit interesting that a 21 year old with no competitive international experience and who's been talented but very raw at club level got picked when there are so many other guys about the same age with similar prospects who have actually done it in the tight matches.

Munster's form at the moment is such that Earls hasn't really been tested in a real battle. He's shone in a dominant team and I hope he does well but I feel that at least some of the hype comes from the fact that he's the first real prospect outside the outhalf that Munster have produced for as long as I can remember.

I can remember Barry Murphy having a few good games and starting to hear a lot of talk about he was threatening BOD's place. Munster have a very effective marketing machine that can sometimes be in danger of hyping things too far. There's a little insecurity from the fact that they imported a backline and the nearest they've come in the professional era to producing an international standard back (excluding half backs) is Anthony Horgan.

Any player who shows any promise for Munster is their new great wide hope. Some of the hype about Earls should be seen in that light. He's a lot further from the finished article than some people realise.

insecurity from importing a backline??? sorry muppet but 14 of the 15 who won the cup in 2006 were from ireland 13 from munster. now youve shown your true colours,
"great wide hope" :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mullet 1: :happy clapper:
Last edited by downsouthdukin on April 23rd, 2009, 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big match from Munster.Don't really understand the criticism of their so called ugly rugby.I love open running rugby but I also admire the collective mastery of this Munster team.What a beautiful machine with that ruthless side to them.
downsouthdukin
Mullet

Post by downsouthdukin »

downsouthdukin wrote:
ronk wrote:I found it a bit interesting that a 21 year old with no competitive international experience and who's been talented but very raw at club level got picked when there are so many other guys about the same age with similar prospects who have actually done it in the tight matches.

insecurity from importing a backline??? sorry muppet but 14 of the 15 who won the cup in 2006 were from ireland 13 from munster. now youve shown your through colours,
oh and mcgeechan picked the squad, not the munster hype machine as u say. it really must be killing you that we have as many players as england...
Big match from Munster.Don't really understand the criticism of their so called ugly rugby.I love open running rugby but I also admire the collective mastery of this Munster team.What a beautiful machine with that ruthless side to them.
Snodser
Learner

Post by Snodser »

I'm just delighted, absolutely delighted for all 37, for the 14 Irish boys obviously.
If I had to pick one outside the Irish camp it would be Nathan Hines. He's been battling with USAP in the T14 for a while now and its not an easy club to be in. Great that he's getting a run and would be even happier to see him alongside POC, he's a real hard b***** and will be well able for whatever the Bok's throw at him.

For guys as long in the tooth as myself, who can remember Geoghan gathering dust on the wing and even further back (I still fit into my "official" Umbro jersey, its just a bit tighter :mrgreen: ) its just amazing to see where Irish rugby is today.

Best of luck to the lot of them :green clap:
Avec des si on mettrait Paris en bouteille......................
Comer Toes
Graduate

Post by Comer Toes »

Petty stuff. What exactly is missing from his game preventing him from being the finished article? Occasional defensive lapses perhaps, I'm struggling after that...
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Comer Toes wrote:

I actually don't think he gets involved enough in games.He's devastating when given the ball but i think he needs to go looking for it more and i'm sure he will as he gets older.

Petty stuff. What exactly is missing from his game preventing him from being the finished article? Occasional defensive lapses perhaps, I'm struggling after that...
Isaac4leinster
Mullet

Post by Isaac4leinster »

Last edited by Isaac4leinster on April 23rd, 2009, 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Wumming should be at least entertaining or humourous....
true blue 06
Mullet

Post by true blue 06 »

quinlan shouldn't be there, i think everyone knows this including munster fans. since the squad was announced lots of people including journo's have been saying quinlan will make for a great mid week player- if your not good enough to play in the test team you shouldn't tour. feel very sorry for tom croft.
Earls has been in great form in a team that has been winning well, he's inexperienced and every lions squad has a dark horse like earls its just a bit unlucky that it probably went down to d'arcy or earls and earls got it. from a leinster pov i would have loved to have seen darce in there as i think the attitude and determination he has shown this season has been brilliant.
think blair is unluck to miss out, would have him ahead of TOL and ellis.
surprised there weren't more shocks in a 37 man squad... some absolute dark horses might have been someone like matt banahan from wasps,dylan hartley,jordan turner hall, sean o'brien.... johnathon davies mentioned nicky robinson for out half cover. none of those lads you would really expect to be ready for it but hopefully they'll all be involved some day
"Hickie is racing away, he's gonna get past Pelous. He's gotta time his pass, D'arcy back to Hickie... HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! That is awesome!"
Sky Sports 01/04/06

HEC CHAMPIONS 2009

LEINSTER- MAGNERS LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 2008
dipper
Knowledgeable

Post by dipper »

true blue 06 wrote:quinlan shouldn't be there, i think everyone knows this including munster fans. since the squad was announced lots of people including journo's have been saying quinlan will make for a great mid week player- if your not good enough to play in the test team you shouldn't tour. feel very sorry for tom croft.
Earls has been in great form in a team that has been winning well, he's inexperienced and every lions squad has a dark horse like earls its just a bit unlucky that it probably went down to d'arcy or earls and earls got it. from a leinster pov i would have loved to have seen darce in there as i think the attitude and determination he has shown this season has been brilliant.
surprised there weren't more shocks in a 37 man squad... some absolute dark horses might have been someone like matt banahan from wasps,dylan hartley,jordan turner hall, sean o'brien.... johnathon davies mentioned nicky robinson for out half cover. none of those lads you would really expect to be ready for it but hopefully they'll all be involved some day

I'm a big fan of Sean O'Brien but lets wait for him to break into the Irish set up first! :D Earls looks like a real a real class act and he could really star on the hard pitches of SA.
true blue 06
Mullet

Post by true blue 06 »

dipper1984 wrote:
true blue 06 wrote:quinlan shouldn't be there, i think everyone knows this including munster fans. since the squad was announced lots of people including journo's have been saying quinlan will make for a great mid week player- if your not good enough to play in the test team you shouldn't tour. feel very sorry for tom croft.

I'm a big fan of Sean O'Brien but lets wait for him to break into the Irish set up first! :D Earls looks like a real a real class act and he could really star on the hard pitches of SA.
wasn't suggesting he should tour, he shouldn't ... i was just giving examples of absolute outsiders
"Hickie is racing away, he's gonna get past Pelous. He's gotta time his pass, D'arcy back to Hickie... HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! That is awesome!"
Sky Sports 01/04/06

HEC CHAMPIONS 2009

LEINSTER- MAGNERS LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 2008
Comer Toes
Graduate

Post by Comer Toes »

So you would have preferred that there was 12 Irish players on the Lions squad instead of 14? :roll: Sorry but turnips over other nationalities every time. To be honest the whole Lions thing doesn't really resonate with me, but I do want to see as many Irish guys there as possible and I want to see them playing well down there. I might get a bit more into this time since the blame will squarely at the paddies feet if the Lions don't win the series.

By the way, Banahan plays for Bath and Seanie can't get his game with us yet.
Hacker G
Knowledgeable

Post by Hacker G »

downsouthdukin wrote: "great wide hope" :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mullet 1: :happy clapper:
A reference to the new Anthony Horgan maybe??
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

downsouthdukin wrote:
downsouthdukin wrote:

insecurity from importing a backline??? sorry muppet but 14 of the 15 who won the cup in 2006 were from ireland 13 from munster. now youve shown your through colours,
know
oh and mcgeechan picked the squad, not the munster hype machine as u say. it really must be killing you that we have as many players as england...
Yeah, I cry myself to sleep everynight.

That's why I said that he was the best (non halfback) back that Munster have produced for as long as I remember. But it's must better to focus on the one thing people sort of disagree on and resort to name calling. Even at this stage it's clear that he's a lot better than Dowling or Murphy will ever be and he's only likely to get better. I've seen him impress when Munster are on top but do we know how he'll stand up if called into the action in a full on test on the other side of the world.

McGeechan's a great judge of players and Earls has shown his worth alongside 7 Lions and against most of the rest of them but it's not exactly heresy to worry aloud about his lack of experience. Is it?

(btw it's true colours)
sewa
Mullet

Post by sewa »

Do you by any chance watch rugby? Thankfully you will get the oppurtunity to reapparaise your post after seeing what he does next week :D
Ignoring Dan the Zulu for months now
Leinster Zulu
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinster Zulu »

I hear O'Donohoe did well today for 'Tarf. Let's include him too.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

I can see the calls for Croft's inclusion to increase (again) after his role in the demolition of Bristol.

Shame the Lions tour isn't about demolishing already relegated teams. Might have been a good lad to have in the midweek games though.

With TOL injured, I think it would be a good idea not to rush into naming a replacement. The tour doesn't leave for a while. There's still time to look at the options for McGeechan.
Isaac4leinster
Mullet

Post by Isaac4leinster »

I was delighted to see Earls get picked but I think the comparisons with BOD are fanciful. He is an excellent player though and I hope he does well. BOD is once in a generation.

He is like BOD in the way that everytime a big winger comes along he is compared to Lomu. It's a lazy conclusion.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Isaac4leinster wrote:I was delighted to see Earls get picked but I think the comparisons with BOD are fanciful. He is an excellent player though and I hope he does well. BOD is once in a generation.

He is like BOD in the way that everytime a big winger comes along he is compared to Lomu. It's a lazy conclusion.
Once in a generation? In rugby terms that's about 10 years. I'd still rate Fitzgerald as more promising at the moment.

Lomu was a true one-off because aside from his size and power was the issue of his relative size. He wouldn't have nearly the same impact now if he was 20 with the way the game is played. In his heyday, opposition players didn't know how to tackle him. Modern internationals wouldn't be nearly as troubled. Lomu changed the way the game was played.
leinsterlank
Knowledgeable

Post by leinsterlank »

ronk wrote: Once in a generation? In rugby terms that's about 10 years. I'd still rate Fitzgerald as more promising at the moment.

Lomu was a true one-off because aside from his size and power was the issue of his relative size. He wouldn't have nearly the same impact now if he was 20 with the way the game is played. In his heyday, opposition players didn't know how to tackle him. Modern internationals wouldn't be nearly as troubled. Lomu changed the way the game was played.
fitzgerald is more promising in my eyes too. the only thing with luke is that he is so talented that he can play in numerous positions. I think he'sbest suited to fullback personally. He's notgetting much bigger and needs to if he wants to play centre. I don't think he wants to be playing wing his whole career. Anyone who is in touch with the underage rugby knows that luke and earls were the two big names of that year, and healy, and shouldn't be questioning earls ability as he is only less developed than luke because he has had less game time. Irish rugby is hitting another rich well at the moment and the lions ha reflected that.

I agree with the sentiments about lomu but I believe he would still be one of the best players in world rugby. If lomu was around he would also benefit of the advances in rugby so who's to say he wouldn't have been bigger and faster?
I completely disagree, quinlan should be there. One, his style is so abrasive that it will bouy everyone around him against the physical sout africans. Two, who says he's not good enough to play in the test team? Even if thats the case, there is merit in bringing a mid week player of quinlans personality as he will only unite the teams and avoid the great me vs them divide of past lions tours. Quinlan deserves to go because on and off the pitch he is an invaluable asset. The recognised failings of many past lions tours is the fact that the guys don't bond quick enough so Geeks has picked youth (for the enthusiasm factor) ,experience and personalitys. I don't think anybody has the wisdom to question his decision.

I think darce missed out because of the injury and has little form obviously but because he's injury prone too. Earls is young, exciting and not injury prone.

The benefit of bringing so much youth and relative inexperience is that they carry no mental baggage yet. Many will never have played or been to south africa. It'll be a new and exciting experience for them and that will lift the whole squad. Youth is infectious and thats what I think the lions need. Although a lot may come back scarred which is the other issue :(
"It feels great. I've played for the team for 10 years and it was worth the wait. I love Leinster and I wanted to do it before the end of my career."

- BOD, Heineken Cup and Grand Slam Winner 2009