Lions starting 15 for first test?

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

downsouthdukin
Mullet

Re: Lions starting 15 for first test?

Post by downsouthdukin »

1. Sheridan
2. Flannery
3. Jenkins
4. Hines
5.POC
6. Worsley
7.Williams
8. Wallace
9. Phillips
10. ROG
11. Monye
12.Shanklin
13. Bod
14. Bowe
15. Byrne
Big match from Munster.Don't really understand the criticism of their so called ugly rugby.I love open running rugby but I also admire the collective mastery of this Munster team.What a beautiful machine with that ruthless side to them.
leinsterlank
Knowledgeable

Post by leinsterlank »

ronk wrote:
With the concerns over the physicality of the 'Boks backrow I can see the attraction of moving Ferris to 8. I still think Heaslip is up to the task and people forget that was shortlisted for player of the 6N. The selection of Quinlan makes a lot more sense if McGeechan is considering that backrow as a possibility.
who has concerns over the physicality of the backrow, if anything im concerned about our physicality.THe boks backrow is awesome!
simonno6 wrote:I certainly think Luke has a shot - We've seen his immense defence throughout the year but people who havn't seen him in action consistently over the last few years don't know about his incredible attacking play. I can see him putting in some top performances in SA and making a big claim for the test side.
i second that, plus his utility benefits will stand to him!
"It feels great. I've played for the team for 10 years and it was worth the wait. I love Leinster and I wanted to do it before the end of my career."

- BOD, Heineken Cup and Grand Slam Winner 2009
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

leinsterlank wrote:
ronk wrote:
With the concerns over the physicality of the 'Boks backrow I can see the attraction of moving Ferris to 8. I still think Heaslip is up to the task and people forget that was shortlisted for player of the 6N. The selection of Quinlan makes a lot more sense if McGeechan is considering that backrow as a possibility.
who has concerns over the physicality of the backrow, if anything im concerned about our physicality.THe boks backrow is awesome!
Im pretty sure he agrees with you! The concern over the physicality of the Boks backrow is from a lions perspective.
Saturday 23rd May 2009 - Number 1
Saturday 21st May 2011 - Brace
Saturday 19th May 2012 - Hatrick!
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

downsouthdukin wrote:1. Sheridan
2. Flannery
3. Jenkins
4. Hines
5.POC
6. Worsley
7.Williams
8. Wallace
9. Phillips
10. ROG
11. Monye
12.Shanklin
13. Bod
14. Bowe
15. Byrne
Throw in Jenkins at loosehead (who I think is a cert to start) and Ferris in for Worsley and that would be my team pretty much. Worsley on the bench for covering across the backrow and physicality. Wing spots are wide open I think but Monye could have a huge tour. Halfpenny's big boot could definitely see him sneak in to the 15 as back up for goal kicking. Hines is a bit of a pig. Think it's between him and DOC to partner POC. AWJ just strikes me as a little soft in comparison.
velvitjester
Graduate

Post by velvitjester »

simonno6 wrote:I certainly think Luke has a shot - We've seen his immense defence throughout the year but people who havn't seen him in action consistently over the last few years don't know about his incredible attacking play. I can see him putting in some top performances in SA and making a big claim for the test side.

This is what im thinking,Williams is off form and scraped in.
I would have thought Fitzgerald will be the first choice 11.As you say it seems only we know how good he is in attack,I havent seen him mentioned in 1 article.
He is the most complete 11 in the squad.
Munster V Leinster 2009-Stuart Barnes
The odds are on the men in red but there is genius in the blue team.
Comer Toes
Graduate

Post by Comer Toes »

It’s impossible to call the test team as unlike the last tour, it’s clear that it’s going to be a blank canvas and almost everyone is in with a shout… though I suppose you could say that Shaw, Quinlan, Worsley look like they’re on board to keep a hard edge to the mid-week side in what are bound to be pretty vicious games. Both wing slots, tight-head, one lock, one back-row, 10 and 12 are all on a level playing field at the moment. Wing actually looks a little cluttered, particularly if ourselves and Cardiff don’t make the HEC final and you have Fitz, Monye, Bowe, Williams and even Kearney/ Earls looking for a run there from the first game on. If we make the final, it might give McGeechan the luxury of looking at an all Ospreys back 3 in the opening game and then going Monye, Kearney, Fitz in the second. Will be interesting to see where they try Earls. 5 games is nothing really – many will only get 2 games to show their stuff.
intothewast

Post by intothewast »

Every single munster player should start, if we want to win. if which I suspect he may only play 5 munster players we will loose the tour 3 - 0
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

Jenkins
Flannery
Murray
Hines
POC
Ferris
Wallace
Heaslip
Philips
Jones
Williams (the one player getting by on reputation)
Flutey
BOD
Bowe
Byrne
downsouthdukin
Mullet

Post by downsouthdukin »

ceemec wrote:
downsouthdukin wrote:1. Sheridan
2. Flannery
3. Jenkins
4. Hines
5.POC
6. Worsley
7.Williams
8. Wallace
9. Phillips
10. ROG
11. Monye
12.Shanklin
13. Bod
14. Bowe
15. Byrne
Throw in Jenkins at loosehead (who I think is a cert to start) and Ferris in for Worsley and that would be my team pretty much. Worsley on the bench for covering across the backrow and physicality. Wing spots are wide open I think but Monye could have a huge tour. Halfpenny's big boot could definitely see him sneak in to the 15 as back up for goal kicking. Hines is a bit of a pig. Think it's between him and DOC to partner POC. AWJ just strikes me as a little soft in comparison.
ya i threw jenkins in at 3 cause im not convinced by the alternatives... i would favour jones over murray.. murray does little else apart from scrummage. thee days thats not enough in my book...
im sure ferris will be selected at 6 once the selectors see him in action up close. he has everything worsley has and more. im a huge fan of moyne and agree he couuld be the find of the tour.
Big match from Munster.Don't really understand the criticism of their so called ugly rugby.I love open running rugby but I also admire the collective mastery of this Munster team.What a beautiful machine with that ruthless side to them.
downsouthdukin
Mullet

Post by downsouthdukin »

velvitjester wrote:

I would have thought Fitzgerald will be the first choice 11.As you say it seems only we know how good he is in attack,I havent seen him mentioned in 1 article.
he isnt an 11. so i dont know how you reckon he the most complete 11. monye and williams are but i still think he has a better chance of making the squad then williams because of his better all round fottballing ability and versatility
downsouthdukin
Mullet

Post by downsouthdukin »

velvitjester wrote:

he isnt an 11. so i dont know how you reckon he the most complete 11. monye and williams are but i still think he has a better chance of making the squad then williams because of his better all round fottballing ability and versatility, same with bowe, earls and halfpenny
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

downsouthdukin wrote: im a huge fan of moyne and agree he couuld be the find of the tour.
Why? Too fast? Scores too many tries? We know how you like your wingers down south but Monye is quality.
downsouthdukin
Mullet

Post by downsouthdukin »

Danthefan wrote:
downsouthdukin wrote: im a huge fan of moyne and agree he couuld be the find of the tour.
Why? Too fast? Scores too many tries? We know how you like your wingers down south but Monye is quality.
sorry, your point being? have you lost your reading glasses
downsouthdukin
Mullet

Post by downsouthdukin »

downsouthdukin wrote:
Danthefan wrote:
sorry, your point being? have you lost your reading glasses
apology accepted
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

Yeah sorry about that, for some reason saw a 'not' in there.
downsouthdukin
Mullet

Post by downsouthdukin »

Danthefan wrote:Yeah sorry about that, for some reason saw a 'not' in there.
u wanted to see it, fair dues though
velvitjester
Graduate

Post by velvitjester »

downsouthdukin wrote:
velvitjester wrote:

he isnt an 11. so i dont know how you reckon he the most complete 11. monye and williams are but i still think he has a better chance of making the squad then williams because of his better all round fottballing ability and versatility, same with bowe, earls and halfpenny
I agree he isnt an 11 but his overall footballing abilities are better than Monye and Williams.
Hes a better kicker than both and he is a better defender than Williams,I amnt to sure on Monyes defending.
He played the whole six nations there,out of any of the young guns hes the least liability to start on that wing.
Munster V Leinster 2009-Stuart Barnes
The odds are on the men in red but there is genius in the blue team.
Isaac4leinster
Mullet

Post by Isaac4leinster »

1 Jenkins
2 Flan
3 Murray
4 Hines
5 POC
6 Ferris
7 Wallace
8 Heaslip
9 Philips
10 Jones
11 Monye
12 Roberts
13 BOD
14 Bowe
15 Byrne

16 Rees
17 A Jones
18 AW Jones
19 Powell
20 Ellis
21 ROG
22 Shanklin

A big, physical team, though possibly lacking a bit of creativity
downsouthdukin
Mullet

Post by downsouthdukin »

Isaac4leinster wrote:1 Jenkins
2 Flan
3 Murray
4 Hines
5 POC
6 Ferris
7 Wallace
8 Heaslip
9 Philips
10 Jones
11 Monye
12 Roberts
13 BOD
14 Bowe
15 Byrne

16 Rees
17 A Jones
18 AW Jones
19 Powell
20 Ellis
21 ROG
22 Shanklin

you must be gutted issac wasnt selected? not to worry im sure hes first on he stand-by list
Isaac4leinster
Mullet

Post by Isaac4leinster »

downsouthdukin wrote:
Isaac4leinster wrote:1 Jenkins
2 Flan
3 Murray
4 Hines
5 POC
6 Ferris
7 Wallace
8 Heaslip
9 Philips
10 Jones
11 Monye
12 Roberts
13 BOD
14 Bowe
15 Byrne

16 Rees
17 A Jones
18 AW Jones
19 Powell
20 Ellis
21 ROG
22 Shanklin

you must be gutted issac wasnt selected? not to worry im sure hes first on he stand-by list
Yes, no you mention. The selection of Quinlan and Earls proved that you don' t have to be playing for your national team to go so...