Quinlans Replacement

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

Isaac4leinster
Mullet

Re: Quinlans Replacement

Post by Isaac4leinster »

true blue 06 wrote:
scrum25 wrote:
ror wrote:Anyone have any thoughts other than Croft ?

Back off

Even Leo does not want to see him banned

mods we need this thread removed - gracious winners and all that
are you for real? there is nothing wrong with discussing a replacement. this has nothing to do with being gracious. the guy is a cheat and deserves whatever he gets.

i think croft should get it, he deserves it. the fact that he can also play at second row despite only being 6'6 is an added bonus also
Only 6'6. Standard height for international lock is it not? Agree with your first point
true blue 06
Mullet

Post by true blue 06 »

Back off

Even Leo does not want to see him banned

mods we need this thread removed - gracious winners and all that[/quote]

are you for real? there is nothing wrong with discussing a replacement. this has nothing to do with being gracious. the guy is a cheat and deserves whatever he gets.

i think croft should get it, he deserves it. the fact that he can also play at second row despite only being 6'6 is an added bonus also[/quote]

Only 6'6. Standard height for international lock is it not? Agree with your first point[/quote]

apologies your right, pretty sure poc is only 6'6,however i think in the next ten years you'll have to be much taller to play top flight in the second row
"Hickie is racing away, he's gonna get past Pelous. He's gotta time his pass, D'arcy back to Hickie... HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! That is awesome!"
Sky Sports 01/04/06

HEC CHAMPIONS 2009

LEINSTER- MAGNERS LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 2008
Isaac4leinster
Mullet

Post by Isaac4leinster »

true blue 06 wrote:

apologies your right, pretty sure poc is only 6'6,however i think in the next ten years you'll have to be much taller to play top flight in the second row
I'm not sure,I hear where you're coming from though. It may go up to an average of 6'7.If you get much taller, your biomechnics start to mean that you become not as good at other things. There are very few 6'6 guys in world rugby for example who would have decent ball carrying ability. They can truck it up etc but not much else. look at Mal and Toner, great lineout options but a bit ineffective as ball carriers. Centre of gravity and slow leg speed make them easier to tackle.

Botha and Matfield are about the best athletes at that height (6'7) but Nick Kenedy and Bob Casey who are also 6'7, are a bit slow around the pitch.

And if evil Connolly got his way and certain ELVs got brought in players would be getting smaller, not bigger. Personally I'd say height and weight are going to plateau pretty soon if not now
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

He still has time to appeal but it's a tough one for him. An increase could eat into next season.

Personally, I have to say that I have an issue with the suspension system than means that Quinlan might only have been missing one game if it weren't for the Lions thing. But that's nothing specifically to do with Quinlan.

Tom Croft has been all but announced as the replacement. McGeechan would risk war with the English press if Croft is overlooked again.
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

ronk wrote:He still has time to appeal but it's a tough one for him. An increase could eat into next season.

Personally, I have to say that I have an issue with the suspension system than means that Quinlan might only have been missing one game if it weren't for the Lions thing. But that's nothing specifically to do with Quinlan.

Tom Croft has been all but announced as the replacement. McGeechan would risk war with the English press if Croft is overlooked again.
The ban runs til early September, 4 or 5 weeks of the off season aren't counted, so if it wasn't a Lions year he'd be missing a full summer tour along with the start of next season.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Danthefan wrote:
ronk wrote:He still has time to appeal but it's a tough one for him. An increase could eat into next season.

The ban runs til early September, 4 or 5 weeks of the off season aren't counted, so if it wasn't a Lions year he'd be missing a full summer tour along with the start of next season.
Thanks. I hadn't been clear on that. Surprising really that that aspect wasn't really reported as widely in the media.
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

For some strange reason people are talking about Leamy to replace Quinlan.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Danthefan wrote:For some strange reason people are talking about Leamy to replace Quinlan.
He can't be far down the waiting list. If Croft is deemed unsuitable there aren't many guys ahead of him.