South Africa's injury list mounts.

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

leinsterlank
Knowledgeable

South Africa's injury list mounts.

Post by leinsterlank »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/8031804.stm

Steyn joins Springbok injury list
South Africa back Frans Steyn
Steyn was a member of South Africa's 2007 World Cup-winning team

Francois Steyn has joined South Africa's growing list of casualties ahead of the Lions series.

Steyn, 21, had been lined up as a replacement for full-back Conrad Jantjes, who will miss the three-Test series after breaking his leg.

But the Sharks player is set for six to eight weeks out with a knee injury, with the first Test on 20 June.

Fly-half Butch James will miss the entire series while centre Jean de Villiers may miss the first Test.

Flanker Schalk Burger has a calf injury that requires two weeks' rest while several other players, including Fourie du Preez (calf), Adrian Jacobs (shoulder) and Andries Bekker (rib), are carrying niggles.

606: DEBATE
How much will the Boks miss Jantjes?

Western Stormers back Jantjes collided with Waikato's Liam Messam in the opening minutes of their Super 14 encounter on Saturday.

The 29-year-old Jantjes, capped 24 times, was in the Springboks line-up for their victories over Wales, Scotland and England last autumn.

Burger, a key part of Springboks coach Peter de Villiers's back row, was also injured in the Stormers' 28-14 defeat and a scan on Monday confirmed the flanker will miss the remaining two weeks of the season because of a calf injury.

Centre De Villiers has a groin injury but is hoping to recover in time to prove his fitness for Western Province when they play the Lions on 13 June in Cape Town, a week before the first Test in Durban.

The Lions depart on 24 May for their 10-match tour in South Africa and play Test matches in Durban, Pretoria and Johannesburg.
"It feels great. I've played for the team for 10 years and it was worth the wait. I love Leinster and I wanted to do it before the end of my career."

- BOD, Heineken Cup and Grand Slam Winner 2009
WickWelsh

Re: South Africa's injury list mounts.

Post by WickWelsh »

At this rate they'll be lucky to field a team...

Springbok injuries