Shanklin Out

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

Terraceman
Graduate

Shanklin Out

Post by Terraceman »

Shanklin has a suspected dislocated shoulder after Cardiff's match with the Dragons. Gordon D'arcy has to be the front runner IMO, be great to see him get it.
Ah it's alright mate I've being looking to change that wing mirror- Rocky Elsom 19/05/2009
Eve
Mullet Moderator

Re: Shanklin Out

Post by Eve »

Very disappointing for Shanklin and feel sorry for him but can't help being thrilled if Darcy gets the nod.
Summer is ready when you are

Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

rough luck for Tom.

Darce's timing is impeccable...
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I reckon the Lions need another outhalf and despite his faults i'd probably go for Cipriani.But in saying that please please please can it be Darce who replaces him! Poor guy though,wish him a speedy recovery!
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

If Shanklin is definitely out, it will have to be D'Arcy who replaces him. It's no exaggeration to say that Gordon's performance last Saturday was the best by a British or Irish inside centre this whole season.

Sad for Shanklin as he seems a decent bloke but the Welsh may capitalise on one or more of our withdrawals (Peel for O'Leary and/or Jones for Quinlan) so it's only fair that we do likewise!
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

My reaction to seeing this was disbelief. How could the Blues be playing Shanklin on a Wednesday after a brutal 100 minutes of Heineken Cup semi final action.

They were stupid to organise fixtures like that just so they can have the EDF Cup and I suppose they must have assumed they wouldn't get this far but playing matches so close together is seriously tough at this stage of the season.

Poor lad. I suppose D'Arcy is the front runner even though technically Shanklin was picked as a 13. Suddenly Earls is back in the running to get some gametime.
claire_m
Shane Jennings

Post by claire_m »

Absolutely gutted for Shanks. If his heartache from the weekend wasn't enough, now he's out of the Lions.

I imagine that his replacement would be between D'Arcy & Hook (to give another out-half option).

The selectors have an interesting couple of weeks ahead of them...
true blue 06
Mullet

Post by true blue 06 »

enter gordan d'arcy

tough for shanklin
"Hickie is racing away, he's gonna get past Pelous. He's gotta time his pass, D'arcy back to Hickie... HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! That is awesome!"
Sky Sports 01/04/06

HEC CHAMPIONS 2009

LEINSTER- MAGNERS LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 2008
Comer Toes
Graduate

Post by Comer Toes »

I fully expect an article on SkySports.com along the lines of ‘Croft and Armitage in head-to-head to replace Shanklin’ with quotes from their respective under-age coaches on their glory days in the centre in the late 90’s.

I wouldn’t rule out Ricky Hatton’s ability to fill the role either. Nothing between himself and Pacquiao by the way.
Leinster Zulu
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinster Zulu »

Confirmed as out by the Beeb.
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

Hope ROG's performance on Saturday didn't get them thinking a 3rd OH option could be wise. I've a nasty feeling Hook could get it if they are now thinking that way as he can cover both. Have everything crossed for Darce though because he deserves it
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
Kyle
Knowledgeable

Post by Kyle »

i wouldnt be surprised at all if Hook got a call, but i've my fingers crossed for Darce! would be great to see himon a Lions tour again! He'd really push for a test berth as well!

That being said its a shame about Shanklin, he's a player i have a lot of time for and i wish him the best of recoveries.
Brannigans Law is like Brannigans love, hard and fast!
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

Darce in - has to be.

Does anyone know when the 2 definite and one potential replacements will be announced?
Saturday 23rd May 2009 - Number 1
Saturday 21st May 2011 - Brace
Saturday 19th May 2012 - Hatrick!
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

With Shanklin out I could definitely see someone like Hook being called up. He can play 10 and with ROG not firing at the weekend McGeechan could be a bit nervous. Reckon Hook is in pole position. Also, elephant in the room, something went on regarding selection for the last test in NZ and Darce ruled himself out. I wonder will McGeechan take that into account as perhaps Darce not being the right character to have on tour. Just thinking aloud, hopefully that was a nothing story and McGeechan selects him. Still reckon Hooke may be the prime candidate.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

God, Hook?

On his day he's a fine out-half but he's never convinced me as a centre. Geech's reasons for taking two out-halves were sound and I hope he brings another centre.

Would like to see Darce go, obviously in fact can't really see that many other obvious candidates.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Donny B. wrote:God, Hook?

On his day he's a fine out-half but he's never convinced me as a centre. Geech's reasons for taking two out-halves were sound and I hope he brings another centre.

Would like to see Darce go, obviously in fact can't really see that many other obvious candidates.
Evans.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Not a fan of him myself but given the Welsh mafia being the coaching team and his ability to play 10 and 12 I think he's in with a big chance. Evans, Armitage, Tindall would probably be the other candidates. Reckon the call is between Darce and Hook though.
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

Just check Stephen Jones out on Sunday, he'll probably be making a case for Phil de Glanville or Jonathan Davies FFS!! :roll:
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

Seriuosly though, it's very tough on Shanklin-I really rate him, quality player.

Darce has a great shout but as others have said, there may be a review of the squad balance after the semi last Saturday. The temptation to bring Hook along to cover outhalf as well as centre might be irresistable to Geech & co.
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

ronk wrote:

Evans.
Aside from all the NZ caps he has, thats a super idea
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on