D'Arcy

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

Taffy Dub
Learner

D'Arcy

Post by Taffy Dub »

Unfortunately it doesn’t look like D’Arcy is going to be in South Africa. :(

Then again look who wrote the article!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... 301655.ece
TheSqueeze
Bookworm

Re: D'Arcy

Post by TheSqueeze »

Well knock me over with a feather. I'm stunned..
Sarphil
Enlightened

Post by Sarphil »

TheSqueeze wrote:Well knock me over with a feather. I'm stunned..
Here we go again :roll:
'la vista che m'apparve d'un leone
Questi parea che contra me venisse
con la test'alta e con rabbiosa fame,
sì che parea che l'aere ne tremesse'
INFERNO CANTO 01

http://www.bornfree.org.uk
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

First he wouldn't even have BOD starting, then he's going to be the only centre.

From that we can conclude that they're only going to play him twice or so outside of the tests. That leaves 5 matches minimum where they're going to be starting one of the others.

He then calls Earls, Halfpenny and Fitzgerald unknowns. Sorry but there was (some) controversy when Fitzgerald was omitted from the World Cup squad. He's been around long enough for Ireland and Leinster to have made an impact.
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

I didn't realise rugby fans still read that clown.
He's a comedy writer, not a rugby pundit and has no credibility amongst rugby fans.

To quote his colleague Kenny Logan when speaking to Mr. ones "Honestly, I am worried about you writing in the paper now."

His opinions carry no weight or merit.

Darcy is in with a good shout. Only problem might be Hook getting the nod seeing as he can cover 10 too.
velvitjester
Graduate

Post by velvitjester »

If this is true its simply because McGeechan has a gripe with Darcy and this is an easy way of not making it public,there would be outcry if he wasnt selected.
Munster V Leinster 2009-Stuart Barnes
The odds are on the men in red but there is genius in the blue team.
TheSqueeze
Bookworm

Post by TheSqueeze »

I have stated my opinion why D'arcy wont be selected BUT I think Armitage played himself onto the plane today. He can kick (which is crucial with just 2 out halves), cover 13 and Lions management have to be a little concerned by Kearney's form, so he can cover full back to. Even if there were no previous with Darcy and the Lions I think big D would be seleccted anyway for the reasons stated above..
anonymous_joe
Bookworm

Post by anonymous_joe »

TheSqueeze wrote:I have stated my opinion why D'arcy wont be selected BUT I think Armitage played himself onto the plane today. He can kick (which is crucial with just 2 out halves), cover 13 and Lions management have to be a little concerned by Kearney's form, so he can cover full back to. Even if there were no previous with Darcy and the Lions I think big D would be seleccted anyway for the reasons stated above..
Armitage was awful as a 13 today.

He looked confused and offered almost nothing.

His kicking was ok, but seriously it's an insult to the guy to shove him in at 13.

As for a guy like Stephen Jones, for a Welshman (I think he actually is Welsh, despite being such an Anglophile?), he doesn't seem to know much about the Magners League at all.
Cows say moo.
Oscar
Mullet

Post by Oscar »

velvitjester wrote:If this is true its simply because McGeechan has a gripe with Darcy and this is an easy way of not making it public,there would be outcry if he wasnt selected.
I don't think there would be an outcry if, say, Hook was selected instead of D'Arcy. The squad needs another outhalf. It would be baffling, though, if they didn't bring some sort of replacement for Shanklin, even Tindall.

There's also the factor that of the squad that's already going, Earls, Fitzgerald, Bowe, Roberts and, supposedly, Halfpenny can all cover 13. Flutey can presumably do a job there too.
velvitjester
Graduate

Post by velvitjester »

TheSqueeze wrote:I have stated my opinion why D'arcy wont be selected BUT I think Armitage played himself onto the plane today. He can kick (which is crucial with just 2 out halves), cover 13 and Lions management have to be a little concerned by Kearney's form, so he can cover full back to. Even if there were no previous with Darcy and the Lions I think big D would be seleccted anyway for the reasons stated above..
Armatage is so bad at 13 its unbelievable.

His hands are cr@p,he hasnt any vision he cant defend.
He is not a 13.

O'Dricoll is the Lions best and most respected player,im pretty sure if he said to Mcgeechan he wants Darcy to be his partner or possible replacement his voice would count.If they do select a replacement its either Hook or Darcy.

After watching the Lions tour of 97 on video,with McGeechan the players opinion does count.He would have contacted Bod and asked his opinion on the replacement,you can be sure of it.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Armitage was appalling today, if Leicester had a decent playmaker at 12 today they would have made mince meat of him. He can kick but not any better than the likes of Halfpenny.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Oscar wrote:
velvitjester wrote:If this is true its simply because McGeechan has a gripe with Darcy and this is an easy way of not making it public,there would be outcry if he wasnt selected.
I don't think there would be an outcry if, say, Hook was selected instead of D'Arcy. The squad needs another outhalf. It would be baffling, though, if they didn't bring some sort of replacement for Shanklin, even Tindall.

There's also the factor that of the squad that's already going, Earls, Fitzgerald, Bowe, Roberts and, supposedly, Halfpenny can all cover 13. Flutey can presumably do a job there too.
If McGeechan is willing to back him he already has a replacement in Earls or another of the many options available. A 34-35 player tour was the original stated target. He might just stick with his current squad in the absence of an available 13 who's better than the guys already on tour.

What's the point in bringing Hook? He'll only play if someone gets injured, in which case they could just call him up at that point. This is a short tour and Flutey is a decent 10, if necessary. Hook isn't playing well and doesn't offer anything worth having on the pitch at the moment. Flood might have had a chance if he hadn't been injured but Leicester don't even look like they're missing him.
velvitjester
Graduate

Post by velvitjester »

ronk wrote:
Oscar wrote:

If McGeechan is willing to back him he already has a replacement in Earls or another of the many options available. A 34-35 player tour was the original stated target. He might just stick with his current squad in the absence of an available 13 who's better than the guys already on tour.

What's the point in bringing Hook? He'll only play if someone gets injured, in which case they could just call him up at that point. This is a short tour and Flutey is a decent 10, if necessary. Hook isn't playing well and doesn't offer anything worth having on t

he pitch at the moment. Flood might have had a chance if he hadn't been injured but Leicester don't even look like they're missing him.
McGeechan has a 13 replacement in Fitz,he will probably end up in the centre anyway and has unbelievable defence for his age.He is the best defensive back in Ireland apart from Bod.

Fitz is as good in attack as Earls but a better defender.Against most likely Fourie,Earls is the last player you want there.The guy was completely at fault for Darcys try against Munster and is a defensive nightmare.
No doubt he will improve but at this moment he is lacking badly.
This is completely due to Munster not playing him from a young age,Fitzgerald had a 2 year head start on him.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

My problem with Fitz as a 13 is that I'd have him in the test 22. Someone else would have to play there in some of the other matches.

If BOD went down I'd want him playing there. But I don't want to lose Luke to the midweek team just because of his versatility.
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

Armatage played himself off the plane.
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

Face it lads, if BOD goes down there is nobody to replace him. He's the best 13 in GB&I by a long long way.
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

Danthefan wrote:Face it lads, if BOD goes down there is nobody to replace him. He's the best 13 in the world by a long long way.
Fixed that for you.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
anonymous_joe
Bookworm

Post by anonymous_joe »

tackle-bag wrote:
Danthefan wrote:Face it lads, if BOD goes down there is nobody to replace him. He's the best 13 in the world by a long long way.
Fixed that for you.
Ah not by a long way in the world anyway.

Guys like Smith are very talented too, Mortlock might be worth a mention?

I think O'Driscoll's the world's best, but he's not superhuman. He's extraordinary, but as 05 showed, he's still only one bloke.
Cows say moo.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Fair play to TheSqueeze, you've said that D'Arcy would be overlooked since Shanklin was injured – no announcements yet, but when you're right, you're right.

I think Drico is actually the best 13 in the world by a quite a distance at the moment. Mortlock isn't having a vintage year in terms of Super 14 form - worth checking out http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/forum/ ... 921.0.html for more on this - and in my opinion [at least] the ABs have lacked a top quality 13 since Umaga shipped out. I expect that Kahui is going to go on and have an absolutely awesome international career, but he's not quite a standout yet, and while there's no doubt that Conrad Smith is a good international, I doubt think that he's really a standout either. My opinion obviously, others may differ.

Obviously it's going to be interesting to see how Drico does against Jacques Fourie [or whoever the Springboks line up at 13 against him, maybe Adrian Jacobs, maybe even Francois Steyn if he's fit and they want to throw him in there], because the southern hemisphere teams seem to be opening the gap again, but again, I don't think you'd find many in SA that'd say the Boks are especially strong at 13.

I think that if Drico carries the form he showed in the 6N into the Lions Test Series he'll be there or thereabouts in terms of IRB Player of the Year 2009 - he's had a blinding season so far [to state the bleeding obvious ...]

BTW, Bakkies has just been cited for punching Kankowski. Doubt it's going to have a big effect in terms of a ban, but Bakkies in Punch Shocker ...
Kyle
Knowledgeable

Post by Kyle »

Squeeze you did call it, but that being said there was no one else picked, surely that becomes a factor in the debate with your argument. I mean it wasnt like someone else was chosen ahead of Darcy, Geech just said that since there werent taht many players involved in the final then he doesnt need another.

anyway, still would love to see Darce go!
Brannigans Law is like Brannigans love, hard and fast!