Terblanche for Full-Back?

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Terblanche for Full-Back?

Post by tackle-bag »

http://www.lionsrugby.com/7611.php

If this prediction comes true, I'd say the Lions will be rubbing their hands in delight. Terblanche is the kind of player who always excelled against sub-standard opposition (a cr@p Ireland side in 1998 being a prime example) but never looked like the real deal to me. He was pretty irrelevant during his stint with the Ospreys and, although he seems to be doing ok since he returned home, he's nearly 34 and definitely past his best. Quite simply, he would not get in the Lions squad.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Terblanche for Full-Back?

Post by ronk »

He's the Springbok Balshaw in some ways.

Playing well though.
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

ronk wrote:He's the Springbok Balshaw in some ways.

Playing well though.
Spot on Analogy. Couple of seasons then bugger all in between
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

19 tries for SA.

4 against Ireland at altitude in 1998 and 5 against Italy a year later.

That's the sort of record you want when you're trying to rack up a record score against much weaker opposition but not necessarily what you need against some of the toughest teams in the world.

But I saw a little of him recently and he looked decent so I don't want to get ahead of myself.
Durkah Durkah
Bookworm

Post by Durkah Durkah »

For the last two years Terblanche has been one of the outstanding players for the Sharks in Super 14 and in Currie Cup. So much so that he was keeping Percy out, who returned the WP in order to play more regularly before retiring. I would agree that whilst at the Ospreys he was mediocre at best but he seems to have become completely rejuvenated. At the beginning of this season when Natal were carrying out their fitness tests, Terblanche consistently finished higher than ALL other players, so 34 years of age does not seem to be a problem. However, he got very badly concussed last weekend and I'm not sure what the story is at the moment.