Hook called up.

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Hook called up.

Post by Danthefan »

McGeechan said he wanted a goal kicker. D'Arcy is a far better player though imo.
Oscar
Mullet

Re: Hook called up.

Post by Oscar »

Hook is an outhalf, though, and the squad needed another one.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

oh dear.

He just outed his lack of confidence in O'Gara and Jones. We now officially have an outhalf crisis.

The only positive spin I can think of is that he had planned on using Flutey as 3rd backup outhalf and it wasn't working out there.

Hook isn't a winger. If he wanted a goal kicker, Paterson was a far better choice.
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

ronk wrote:oh dear.

He just outed his lack of confidence in O'Gara and Jones. We now officially have an outhalf crisis.

The only positive spin I can think of is that he had planned on using Flutey as 3rd backup outhalf and it wasn't working out there.

Hook isn't a winger. If he wanted a goal kicker, Paterson was a far better choice.
...and if they wanted an inside centre, D'Arcy would have been a far better choice. I think you're exaggerating when you describe the situation as an out-half crisis. The 'boks will have watched a sufficient number of tapes to know exactly what they were getting in Jones and ROG. Calling up Hook doesn't tell them anything new.

Sadly, I think that the Hook call-up is one of a number of poor decisions by the management and the second in the space of 24 hours. By choosing Ford instead of Best, they have guaranteed that the starting test hooker will be one who is incapable of throwing consistently into the line-out. All 3 players offer decent play in the loose and in the scrum, but none of them seems to be able to hit their jumpers when faced with serious pressure.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

It's a public vote of no confidence and could undermine morale on the tour.

I disagree about Mears being a non throwing hooker. He's actually quite good and I saw a stat somewhere that had him more accurate than Flannery over the 6N. It was between him and Flannery for the test berth. Flannery is a big loss but I would have had Ford instead of Rees anyway.

I can easily see Ford making the bench behind Mears.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

ronk wrote:It's a public vote of no confidence and could undermine morale on the tour.

I disagree about Mears being a non throwing hooker. He's actually quite good and I saw a stat somewhere that had him more accurate than Flannery over the 6N. It was between him and Flannery for the test berth. Flannery is a big loss but I would have had Ford instead of Rees anyway.

I can easily see Ford making the bench behind Mears.
Yeah i agree,Rees is an awful attempt at a rugby player!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Hook was called up, becaue Geech finally realised he'd cocked up by selecting ROG.
He was left with no choice but to bring in another OH.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Oldschool wrote:Hook was called up, becaue Geech finally realised he'd cocked up by selecting ROG.
ROG is still one of the best 10s in the world. Not a complete 10, but one you'd be glad to be able to select.
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

ronk wrote:
Oldschool wrote:Hook was called up, becaue Geech finally realised he'd cocked up by selecting ROG.
ROG is still one of the best 10s in the world. Not a complete 10, but one you'd be glad to be able to select.
How have you come to that conclusion?
Comer Toes
Graduate

Post by Comer Toes »

Danthefan wrote:
ronk wrote:
Fairly logical process I would say;

McGeechan and co consider him to be in top 2 outhalves in Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England – so that’s top 2 out of 4 of the world’s 8 top rugby playing nations. Carter, Giteau, James, McAllister, Evans, Peinaar, Hernandez may be better, he’s still there or thereabouts you’d have to say
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Danthefan wrote:
ronk wrote:
I was drawing on my knowledge of the game and matches I've seen over the last few months and seasons.

I was also using a definition of the best in the world that's probably extends to around half a dozen players, give or take.

It's pretty close between himself and Jones for the Lions, France don't really have anyone outstanding. I'm happy to accept Contepomi in that group, Hernandez certainly is. 2 All Blacks: Evans and Carter, then Giteau. Cipriani might in the future but not right now. Who am I missing? Not too many that are way ahead of O'Gara.
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

Well if it's merely down to the fact the group of elite out-halves in the world is small then fair enough, but in terms of quality he's nowhere near the top anymore.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

ronk wrote:
No I wouldn't.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

highest ever points scorer in the HC, irelands highest ever points scorer, 5th highest international points scorer of all time, top scorer in this years six nations AND all time highest points scorer in the 6 nations. he's basically the record holder in every competition he's in.

but yeah, i see where you're coming from, he's sh!t
Dublinner
Bookworm

Post by Dublinner »

Oldschool wrote:
ronk wrote:
No I wouldn't.
So which outhalves would you have brought? Its all very well slagging off O'Gara as you usually do but who would you have brought in his place?
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

gfo wrote:highest ever points scorer in the HC, irelands highest ever points scorer, 5th highest international points scorer of all time, top scorer in this years six nations AND all time highest points scorer in the 6 nations. he's basically the record holder in every competition he's in.

but yeah, i see where you're coming from, he's sh!t
Again, what does stuff he did 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 or 7 or 8 or 9 years ago have to do with his current form?
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

ROG is a decent international 10 who has been around a while but no more.
He has failed on the big stage (Lions and RWC) and has been inconsistent for Ireland.
He had a very average 6 nations this year. While he deserves his place in the Lions squad, both Jones and Hook would be better options for the tests.
In fairness to ROG, he place kicked extremely well today but didn't inspire confidence as a first class 10.

It was the right call to bring in Hook, due to the dearth of options at 10. Darcy should have been in the squad in the first place and Earls should be off in North America learning his trade.