Lions XV v. Royal XV

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Lions XV v. Royal XV

Post by tackle-bag »

Right, now that the dust has settled to some extent following yesterday's heroics, it's time to start looking forward to the Lions Tour. Who do we think should take the field for the first match? They look like a pretty average side, but I think it's important to get the tour off too a good start by just blowing them away. It will be particularly important to dominate the physical exchanges and lay down a marker for the Test series. However, I think the players who started the HEC final definitely deserve a rest. This would be my team:

15. Kearney
14. Bowe
13. Roberts
12. Flutey
11. Monye
10. Jones
9. Phillips
8. Powell
7. Wallace
6. Worsley
5. POC
4. Shaw
3. Vickery
2. Ford
1. Sheridan

16. Mears
17. Jenkins
18. Hines
19. Ferris
20. Blair
21. ROG
22. Byrne
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Lions XV v. Royal XV

Post by ronk »

Kearney won't be available for selection. He wasn't fit enough (or whatever) to start yesterday and he hasn't trained.

No chance of him getting selected. Ditto with guys like Ford who have just been called up over the weekend. Only guys who linked up on the first day of training will be considered.

Why would they not pick those guys and rush in the replacements. Blair was picked early enough and with Ellis involved in the final he's guaranteed a minimum of a bench spot.