Stephen Jones drives me mad

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

Re: Stephen Jones drives me mad

Postby Sarphil » June 18th, 2009, 4:14 pm

CiaranIrl wrote:Goodness, it has all been so quiet. I fully realise that the Lions tour will be bursting out into near hysteria on Saturday at Kings Park but it has been the gentlest, least controversial Lions tour by far of all the 75 I have followed.


:? How old is this guy?
'la vista che m'apparve d'un leone
Questi parea che contra me venisse
con la test'alta e con rabbiosa fame,
sì che parea che l'aere ne tremesse'
INFERNO CANTO 01

http://www.bornfree.org.uk
User avatar
Sarphil
Enlightened
 
Posts: 941
Joined: June 18th, 2006, 4:13 pm
Location: A field in Wexford

Re: Stephen Jones drives me mad

Postby hugonaut » June 18th, 2009, 4:50 pm

Thought DOC did alright as captain actually – came away from a fairly niggly match with no Lions disciplined for foul play, yellow-carded, or cited – and this with noted headbangers like Nathan Hines, Andy Powell and Ricky Flutey on the pitch. I'm not sure what the hacks would have had him do, yell out 99 and then start windmilling the nearest Saffa? Bit of a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Geech, Gatland, Edwards and Howley know their sh¡t: they're the ones who selected the squad, they're the ones who train the players every day, they're the ones who have gone over the match tapes exhaustively, they're the ones who've analysed the Boks, they're the ones who know the gameplan. Steven Jones didn't, doesn't, hasn't, hasn't [again] and doesn't [again]. His opinion is his opinion, nothing more. If they've gone with Donncha, they've gone with him for a good reason.
User avatar
hugonaut
Rob Kearney
 
Posts: 4353
Joined: May 5th, 2009, 7:44 pm

Re: Stephen Jones drives me mad

Postby CiaranIrl » June 18th, 2009, 4:56 pm

Sarphil wrote:
CiaranIrl wrote:Goodness, it has all been so quiet. I fully realise that the Lions tour will be bursting out into near hysteria on Saturday at Kings Park but it has been the gentlest, least controversial Lions tour by far of all the 75 I have followed.


:? How old is this guy?


That makes it sound like I said that. Stephen Jones now, he is an old bastard.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
User avatar
CiaranIrl
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2675
Joined: April 27th, 2009, 11:23 am
Location: Dun Laoghaire

Re: Stephen Jones drives me mad

Postby Sarphil » June 18th, 2009, 5:05 pm

Sorry about that CiaranIRL!
'la vista che m'apparve d'un leone
Questi parea che contra me venisse
con la test'alta e con rabbiosa fame,
sì che parea che l'aere ne tremesse'
INFERNO CANTO 01

http://www.bornfree.org.uk
User avatar
Sarphil
Enlightened
 
Posts: 941
Joined: June 18th, 2006, 4:13 pm
Location: A field in Wexford

Re: Stephen Jones drives me mad

Postby downsouthdukin » June 18th, 2009, 7:52 pm

CiaranIrl wrote:Nothin to make you very angry, but I'm amused at him calling our Irish fullback "Ronan Kearney".


----------------------------------------------------------------

THE ROLLING MAUL

Stephen Jones delivers his daily e-mail from the Lions tour of South Africa

----------------------------------------------------------------
Thurssday, June 18, 2009. 1530 BST
----------------------------------------------------------------

Goodness, it has all been so quiet. I fully realise that the Lions tour will be bursting out into near hysteria on Saturday at Kings Park but it has been the gentlest, least controversial Lions tour by far of all the 75 I have followed.

Would you believe it, even today's announcement of the Lions team for the Test, made by a grave-sounding Gerald Davies at the team hotel on the beachfront in Durban, was almost completely lacking in shocks and controversy.

Until the Southern morons tried to remove a few heads from Lions' shoulders at Port Elizabeth on Tuesday, it has been a clean, even spic-and-span, experience and this is something that authorities on both sides should examine. Lions tours should never, ever be low-octane.

Admittedly, the lack of controversy surrounding the Test team could well be simply because the selectors have got it right, that they have husbanded their resources through this tour and come up with the correct combination.

Looking at the team, and with the potentially brilliant Shane Williams so out of form, there is surely no argument surrounding anyone behind the scrum, especially once the selectors resisted the temptation to be conservative and to play a fine footballer such as Ronan Kearney on the wing. There are no other contentious selections in the backs.

Up front, considering the number of tackles that the front row will have to make there can be little argument that Gethin Jenkins and Phil Vickery can do a splendid job. If there is one selection that has caused head-scratching, it is probably that of David Wallace on the openside flank.

It is not that Wallace is unsuited to the task, but, on this tour, he has been remarkably quiet, lacking the intensity he has shown of late for Munster and Ireland.

Hopefully, our David will be restored to his best on Saturday. Certainly, he is up against it in the chase for the loose ball against Heinrich Brussow, the prodigy from the Cheetahs. The Lions will need Wallace to be at his very best and they will need the New Zealand referee to apply the laws at the breakdown, something that did not afflict Brussow when he played so effectively for the Cheetahs against the Lions earlier in the tour.

There is one selection on the bench that has completely dumbfounded me - that of Donncha O'Callaghan as reserve lock. For my money, in a Test of this magnitude and on the evidence of the tour so far, both Simon Shaw and Nathan Hines would have been far better bets and O'Callaghan's failure to assert himself as captain in Port Elizabeth was remarked upon by many around the Lions squad.
And the most staggering thing of all? No one really knows how the Lions will go. We have watched them through six warm-up games, often defending really well, often playing good rugby - but never having the power or the armoury to blow away even rather limited provincial teams.

I suppose that, whatever you felt about the Lions' chances six games ago, you know feel roughly the same today.



that makes me angry, i would imagine this comment is total bullshit(the ''remarked upon by many around the lions squad''). have you noticed when the lions struggle with an irish captain its the captains fault but of course when they struggle against western province(the closest run game yet) under vickery not a word on poor captaincy.
nothing against vickery, im a big fan.

seriously though if i ever saw the guy i would find it very hard not to punch the f%~ker in the balls even though he'd probably beat the sh1te out of me, im a pussy
Big match from Munster.Don't really understand the criticism of their so called ugly rugby.I love open running rugby but I also admire the collective mastery of this Munster team.What a beautiful machine with that ruthless side to them.
User avatar
downsouthdukin
Mullet
 
Posts: 1182
Joined: May 26th, 2008, 1:44 pm

Re: Stephen Jones drives me mad

Postby fourthirtythree » June 19th, 2009, 2:26 pm

As Hugonaut pointed out above: O'Callaghan did a good job in that none of the Lions face citing for retaliation. He might have pointed some stuff out to the ref a bit more but he wouldn't get away with being in Owen's face all the time the way that Paulie does. Don't know how O'Connell gets away with it.

I think moving setup to the lions where he isn't in such a close shadow under O'Connell seems to suit him. Only rather strange people like the Jones could have complaints about him starting the first test. I think he should have been given a chance with O'Connell.

And I've said it before: Jones is pure comedy. If you get upset by him, don't read him. Personally i look forward to reading him when an Irish team stuffs one of his favourites. His weasel words make me laugh every time. And this is a good year to read him for us.

Still won't buy the wilfully ignorant rag he writes for though.
Datta: what have we given?
My friend, blood shaking my heart
The awful daring of a moment's surrender
Which an age of prudence can never retract
What the thunder said to Brian Lenihan
User avatar
fourthirtythree
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 8450
Joined: April 12th, 2008, 11:33 pm
Location: Eight miles high

Re: Stephen Jones drives me mad

Postby downsouthdukin » June 19th, 2009, 2:48 pm

fourthirtythree wrote:As Hugonaut pointed out above: O'Callaghan did a good job in that none of the Lions face citing for retaliation. He might have pointed some stuff out to the ref a bit more but he wouldn't get away with being in Owen's face all the time the way that Paulie does. Don't know how O'Connell gets away with it.

I think moving setup to the lions where he isn't in such a close shadow under O'Connell seems to suit him. Only rather strange people like the Jones could have complaints about him starting the first test. I think he should have been given a chance with O'Connell.

And I've said it before: Jones is pure comedy. If you get upset by him, don't read him. Personally i look forward to reading him when an Irish team stuffs one of his favourites. His weasel words make me laugh every time. And this is a good year to read him for us.

Still won't buy the wilfully ignorant rag he writes for though.


i agree, i enjoy reading his nonsense, online of course, as you say pure comedy but i still would love to sock him one for the laugh of course :D
Big match from Munster.Don't really understand the criticism of their so called ugly rugby.I love open running rugby but I also admire the collective mastery of this Munster team.What a beautiful machine with that ruthless side to them.
User avatar
downsouthdukin
Mullet
 
Posts: 1182
Joined: May 26th, 2008, 1:44 pm

Re: Stephen Jones drives me mad

Postby dipper » June 19th, 2009, 3:25 pm

He's a WUM who just happens to have a newspaper to broadcast his opinions. Avoid his articles like the plague!
User avatar
dipper
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 382
Joined: April 14th, 2009, 10:22 pm
Location: Manila, Philippines

Mr Jones....

Postby Oldschool » June 21st, 2009, 11:27 am

I refused to buy the Times, but it is going to be interesting to hear how he justifies Vickeries demise.
(And who he blames for said demise)
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
User avatar
Oldschool
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 9796
Joined: March 27th, 2008, 2:10 pm

Re: Mr Jones....

Postby Danthefan » June 21st, 2009, 11:31 am

He blames the ref. Check the Times website.
User avatar
Danthefan
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 8073
Joined: April 7th, 2006, 12:09 pm
Location: Malahide

Re: Mr Jones....

Postby jhc99 » June 21st, 2009, 11:42 am

Danthefan wrote:He blames the ref. Check the Times website.


Interesting how Adam Jones did not have similar trouble with the ref. SJ also gave Drico a mere 7/10 and in his matched report failed to mention Monye's laughably schoolboy finishing.
In BOD we trust
jhc99
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 385
Joined: March 28th, 2006, 12:36 pm
Location: London

Re: Mr Jones....

Postby sarah_lennon » June 21st, 2009, 12:49 pm

Danthefan wrote:He blames the ref. Check the Times website.



The captain lamed te ref also in his post-match interview
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
User avatar
sarah_lennon
Leo Cullen
 
Posts: 15361
Joined: April 19th, 2006, 4:14 pm

Re: Stephen Jones drives me mad

Postby downsouthdukin » July 3rd, 2009, 3:54 pm

a mate of mine watched the second test from the press section in the stadium last saturday. he was saying a certain journo and a few other english hacks were roaring 'come on shawsie' all game. nothing wrong with that. when he was announced motm they started high5ing each other. nothing wrong with that???
finally one was overheard(tho he wouldnt tell me which one) saying he couldnt believe there was 7 potatoe munchers on the team.. nothing wrong with that i say!! the offending journo was quickly pulled up on this comment.. wanka!!
Big match from Munster.Don't really understand the criticism of their so called ugly rugby.I love open running rugby but I also admire the collective mastery of this Munster team.What a beautiful machine with that ruthless side to them.
User avatar
downsouthdukin
Mullet
 
Posts: 1182
Joined: May 26th, 2008, 1:44 pm

Re: Stephen Jones drives me mad

Postby tones » July 3rd, 2009, 4:46 pm

downsouthdukin wrote:a mate of mine watched the second test from the press section in the stadium last saturday. he was saying a certain journo and a few other english hacks were roaring 'come on shawsie' all game. nothing wrong with that. when he was announced motm they started high5ing each other. nothing wrong with that???
finally one was overheard(tho he wouldnt tell me which one) saying he couldnt believe there was 7 potatoe munchers on the team.. nothing wrong with that i say!! the offending journo was quickly pulled up on this comment.. wanka!!


Oh lets call him Sthephn J....no no thats too obvious, how about S Jones
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
User avatar
tones
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 6126
Joined: July 21st, 2006, 5:35 pm
Location: In a glass case of Emotion

Re: Stephen Jones drives me mad

Postby downsouthdukin » July 3rd, 2009, 6:46 pm

tones wrote:
downsouthdukin wrote:a mate of mine watched the second test from the press section in the stadium last saturday. he was saying a certain journo and a few other english hacks were roaring 'come on shawsie' all game. nothing wrong with that. when he was announced motm they started high5ing each other. nothing wrong with that???
finally one was overheard(tho he wouldnt tell me which one) saying he couldnt believe there was 7 potatoe munchers on the team.. nothing wrong with that i say!! the offending journo was quickly pulled up on this comment.. wanka!!


Oh lets call him Sthephn J....no no thats too obvious, how about S Jones



i prefer to call him.... wanka!!
Big match from Munster.Don't really understand the criticism of their so called ugly rugby.I love open running rugby but I also admire the collective mastery of this Munster team.What a beautiful machine with that ruthless side to them.
User avatar
downsouthdukin
Mullet
 
Posts: 1182
Joined: May 26th, 2008, 1:44 pm

Previous

Return to British and Irish Lions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest