Leadership

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Leadership

Post by Oldschool »

Leadership - Barnes went on and on about it.
The Brits (All of the UK) press are watching this space and getting ready to blame POC, as if leadership (and it is important) is the only reason the tests series will be won or lost.
Having the right game plan and attitude will be equally important.
The one thing the lions can look forward to in every game is the type of physical confrontation that Leinster met Munster and Leicester with.
Rocky's play against England in the BaaBaas game was another example of this physicality.
C'Mon POC and the Irish lads and lions squad get behind your captain and f^ck the begrudgers.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Re: Leadership

Post by suisse »

Yeah, but they aren't advocating a captain from outside this island. Barnes said it should be Brian O'Driscoll. I like Barnes, but he is prone to changing his mind very quickly, without admitting it. After the Tour party was announced, himself and Dewi had this big spiel on the Rugby Club about the Lions copying Munster (and every clip was of Munster vs the Ospreys - with all due respect to Munster, that's not an indicator of how to beat the Boks). He even said that after thinking about it, Alan Quinlan was an inspired choice. No sooner had the Leinster-Munster match finished, Barnes was on skysports.com saying BOD was the man, and he questioned the whole Munster thing on last week's Rugby Club.

Yesterday, there were too few leaders on the pitch, particulary from the Scottish captain. He should be content, after his whole performance, with a couple of Wednesday caps now.
ROYSH D4
Knowledgeable

Post by ROYSH D4 »

Although Paul had a quiet game, by his own standards. even as leinster supporter , i say keep the faith for a while... Earls on the other hand should be put out to pasturewith his rubber hands!! :D
"Sometimes the blood of Patriots needs to be spilt on the Altar of Freedom....And that Blood is Blue .... Go On Leinster!"
claire_m
Shane Jennings

Post by claire_m »

This tour for PoC is huge. I don't rate him as a captain (and I doubt I'm alone). He's gone missing too much in games in the past for my liking (Lions 4 years ago, RWC 2 years ago) and either goes into himself or becomes an idiot when things don't go his way. I think Drico should have been made captain, I did before the Lions were announced & I still do. (however, he is captain & I will try and get behind him.)

I thought PoC's leadership yesterday was lacking. Earls had a poor game and PoC, as his club & Lions captain should have gone up to him and said something. When things were going to pieces, it was Williams who was calling the players together & talking and not PoC, the captain.

I don't think too much can be read into yesterday. However, it is a short tour and markers were either laid down (and the only two who really stood out for me were Roberts & Byrne. Bowe did OK, ) or players had games to forget (Wallace wasn't great, I thought as captain & player PoC didn't have a great game, Earls had a game to forget, RoG had a mixed bag, but more bad than good, really, and just so that I'm not accused of anti-Munster bias, Flutey wasn't great when he came on. He should have passed the ball for Roberts to go in under the posts, but was too greedy. Blair also didn't have a great game)

There will be a lot of work at training this week and the team that takes the pitch for the first test will be very different, but I think yesterday asked more questions than it really answered.
orfeo
Bookworm

Post by orfeo »

claire_m wrote:This tour for PoC is huge. I don't rate him as a captain (and I doubt I'm alone). He's gone missing too much in games in the past for my liking (Lions 4 years ago, RWC 2 years ago) and either goes into himself or becomes an idiot when things don't go his way. I think Drico should have been made captain, I did before the Lions were announced & I still do. (however, he is captain & I will try and get behind him.)

I thought PoC's leadership yesterday was lacking. Earls had a poor game and PoC, as his club & Lions captain should have gone up to him and said something. When things were going to pieces, it was Williams who was calling the players together & talking and not PoC, the captain.

I don't think too much can be read into yesterday. However, it is a short tour and markers were either laid down (and the only two who really stood out for me were Roberts & Byrne. Bowe did OK, ) or players had games to forget (Wallace wasn't great, I thought as captain & player PoC didn't have a great game, Earls had a game to forget, RoG had a mixed bag, but more bad than good, really, and just so that I'm not accused of anti-Munster bias, Flutey wasn't great when he came on. He should have passed the ball for Roberts to go in under the posts, but was too greedy. Blair also didn't have a great game)

There will be a lot of work at training this week and the team that takes the pitch for the first test will be very different, but I think yesterday asked more questions than it really answered.
anti-Munster bias ?? I suggest you read your own post again Claire ! Just for my info exactly who other than POC had a good Lions tour 4 years ago or a good RWC 07 ?. As for O'Gara . kept the score ticking over , scored 1 try and vital pass for another 22 points total (I think) may he continue to have bad games like this and we should be O.K
The O'Driscoll or POC for captain debate is over , as is that other non starter raised on another thread -Earls v Darcy, Can we not just let it go and get on with supporting The Lions and our fellow countrymen in particular . Played I won I , lessons to be learnt , move on , next game please
leinsterlank
Knowledgeable

Post by leinsterlank »

orfeo wrote:[

anti-Munster bias ?? I suggest you read your own post again Claire ! Just for my info exactly who other than POC had a good Lions tour 4 years ago or a good RWC 07 ?. As for O'Gara . kept the score ticking over , scored 1 try and vital pass for another 22 points total (I think) may he continue to have bad games like this and we should be O.K
The O'Driscoll or POC for captain debate is over , as is that other non starter raised on another thread -Earls v Darcy, Can we not just let it go and get on with supporting The Lions and our fellow countrymen in particular . Played I won I , lessons to be learnt , move on , next game please
I agree we need to get over it.Did anyone not expext a relatively shoddy performance with a ground out win. I did.
"It feels great. I've played for the team for 10 years and it was worth the wait. I love Leinster and I wanted to do it before the end of my career."

- BOD, Heineken Cup and Grand Slam Winner 2009
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

orfeo wrote:
claire_m wrote:This tour for PoC is huge. I don't rate him as a captain (and I doubt I'm alone). He's gone missing too much in games in the past for my liking (Lions 4 years ago, RWC 2 years ago) and either goes into himself or becomes an idiot when things don't go his way. I think Drico should have been made captain, I did before the Lions were announced & I still do. (however, he is captain & I will try and get behind him.)

Personally I'm happy to see Earls rather than a Uk player get the slot (assuming D'Arcy is persona non gratis).
A young guy like him should come back a much better player for the experience.
This can only help Ireland.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
orfeo
Bookworm

Post by orfeo »

Oldschool wrote:
orfeo wrote:

Personally I'm happy to see Earls rather than a Uk player get the slot (assuming D'Arcy is persona non gratis).
A young guy like him should come back a much better player for the experience.
This can only help Ireland.
hammer- nail - head, spot on
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

I have to say, I don't get this whole "he'll come back stronger" business. Which scenario be better for Sexton's career for example: 1) Him to nail a 50m dropgoal, make the winning penalty, have an all round very good game, and Leinster win the HEC, or 2) Him to play sh!t, miss all his kicks, and Leinster not win the HEC?
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

Danthefan wrote:I have to say, I don't get this whole "he'll come back stronger" business. Which scenario be better for Sexton's career for example: 1) Him to nail a 50m dropgoal, make the winning penalty, have an all round very good game, and Leinster win the HEC, or 2) Him to play sh!t, miss all his kicks, and Leinster not win the HEC?
As they say, you learn a lot more from your mistakes than you do from your successes
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

thecoolfreak wrote:
Danthefan wrote:I have to say, I don't get this whole "he'll come back stronger" business. Which scenario be better for Sexton's career for example: 1) Him to nail a 50m dropgoal, make the winning penalty, have an all round very good game, and Leinster win the HEC, or 2) Him to play sh!t, miss all his kicks, and Leinster not win the HEC?
As they say, you learn a lot more from your mistakes than you do from your successes
Nice cliche and all, but what would he have learned? To do better in the next HEC final we got to?
Comer Toes
Graduate

Post by Comer Toes »

I tend to agree with old school’s post more than this. The dissection of the minutiae of ‘leadership’ is very subjective and over-rated and ultimately something none of us on the outside can make insightful comments on. Rugby is over-obsessed with captaincy. If I was Earls I wouldn’t want POC coming all the way out to 2nd centre to tell me to ‘keep the head up’ or ‘next ball’ when ROG and Williams were saying it anyway. I’d have been close to clocking the guy with the sticky spray as well after the dropping of the ball in the 22 if I was Earls also!! Who’s to say the Sky Cameras simply didn’t catch POC having a word or two anyway.

I think most considered POC and ROG to be among the better performers. Flutey looked dangerous – I reckon he’ll pip Roberts for the 12 jersey. Rees, Earls, Shaw and Worsley were the ones to have pretty much written off test-match contention.
Munsterboy
Mullet

Post by Munsterboy »

I thought POC was the one forward who really stepped up in the 2nd half. He tends to lead by example and he did so once he got going. They were all a bit slow to start.

I said the captaincy should have gone to BOD but Paulie did a decent job and I think he'll continue to do so. He's a very different player and leader to the guy that travelled with the Lions 4 years ago.
We're all red on the inside.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

I don't know the answer to your options, but I'm sure Cheika is lot wiser.