Lions team to face Golden Lions.

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Lions team to face Golden Lions.

Post by Danthefan »

British & Irish Lions (vs Golden Lions)

15. Rob Kearney (Leinster/Ireland)
14. Tommy Bowe (Ospreys/Ireland)
13. Brian O’Driscoll (Leinster/Ireland)
12. Jamie Roberts (Cardiff Blues/Wales)
11. Ugo Monye (Harlequins/England)
10. Stephen Jones (Scarlets/Wales)
9. Mike Phillips (Ospreys/Wales)

8. Jamie Heaslip (Leinster/Ireland)
7. David Wallace (Munster/Ireland)
6. Tom Croft (Leicester Tigers/England)
5. Alun-Wyn Jones (Ospreys/Wales)
4. Nathan Hines (Perpignan/Scotland)
3. Phil Vickery (London Wasps/England)
2. Lee Mears (Bath/England)
1. Gethin Jenkins (Cardiff Blues/Wales)

Replacements

16. Ross Ford (Edinburgh/Scotland)
17. Euan Murray (Northampton Saints/Scotland)
18. Stephen Ferris (Ulster/Ireland)
19. Andy Powell (Cardiff Blues/Wales)
20. Harry Ellis (Leicester Tigers/England)
21. James Hook (Ospreys/Wales)
22. Shane Williams (Ospreys/Wales)

No Luke Fitz which is odd imo, considering Williams and Bowe were both in on Saturday. BOD is captain.
Last edited by Danthefan on June 1st, 2009, 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Re: Lions team to face Golden Lions.

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

No O'Callaghan either.
A proud Winsome Fluter
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Some more interesting selections...

That could be the Lions back row for the Tests, maybe the half backs (although I think Harry Ellis is a better player than the rest of them) and the Test centre partnership.....

If Bowe and Roberts have another good game, against better opposition, the positions 12 and 14 will almost be theirs.
icebaby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by icebaby »

this morning's paper says Luke isn't fully well
"Look what Leinster have done again"
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

read somewhere that he has a chest infection.
leinsterlank
Knowledgeable

Post by leinsterlank »

he'd have to be sick or still nursing his shoulder. Thats a good looking team. I fancy hines to play alongside o'connell in the tests!
"It feels great. I've played for the team for 10 years and it was worth the wait. I love Leinster and I wanted to do it before the end of my career."

- BOD, Heineken Cup and Grand Slam Winner 2009
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Was just about to ask if anyone knew who would be Captain but never mind - RTE just gave me the good news - BOD to resume captaincy of Lions!!!
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
boiboy
Beginner

Post by boiboy »

Yeah appaprently Luke Fitz had both the remainder of a chest infection and a sore shoulder. Also FLutey was supposed to play but has a sore thigh or something. Thats why Roberts and Bowe have stayed in
boiboy
Beginner

Post by boiboy »

Also it had to be AW Jones to play with O'Connell in the test team. He was on for 5 mins the other day and scored a try!
Comer Toes
Graduate

Post by Comer Toes »

More pain for the Lions on the way I reckon. The team selected certainly seems more dynamic than last Saturday’s side and while I think there’ll be an improvement in performance you can sure BOD/ McGeechan would bite your hand off for another narrow win. Golden Lions will be decent and with a very vocal support, 60,000 sold out I believe.

Croft, Wallace and Heaslip is certainly an exciting combination although Golden Lions back-row has quality as well. Roberts and BOD looks a good balance. Ditto Hines & Wyn-Jones. Solid half-back pairing as well. B&I Lions by 5 I reckon.

Anyone else kinda disappointed about the maul coming back at the weekend? Almost impossible to defend legally. It will work to the Lions favour in the tests I guess…
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

Comer Toes wrote:More pain for the Lions on the way I reckon. The team selected certainly seems more dynamic than last Saturday’s side and while I think there’ll be an improvement in performance you can sure BOD/ McGeechan would bite your hand off for another narrow win. Golden Lions will be decent and with a very vocal support, 60,000 sold out I believe.

Croft, Wallace and Heaslip is certainly an exciting combination although Golden Lions back-row has quality as well. Roberts and BOD looks a good balance. Ditto Hines & Wyn-Jones. Solid half-back pairing as well. B&I Lions by 5 I reckon.

Anyone else kinda disappointed about the maul coming back at the weekend? Almost impossible to defend legally. It will work to the Lions favour in the tests I guess…
In fairness too, these 'Golden' Lions, are the worst franchise in SA. I would expect a massive step up from the Lions.

Saturday wasn't as bad as it sounded when you looked at the game properly. Even just a marginal increase in accuracy would have seen the Lions Butcher the Royals. Some may guilt edge chances were put down by the Lions.

It easily could have been a hammering.

Defence would be my big worry
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I've a feeling the Lions will run riot tomorrow and put in an exact opposite "performance" to Saturday's. I really like the balance to the team and there's no deadwood like Rees or Shaw from the last game so i reckon they'll win by at least 40 points but with a much better performance regardless of the score.
Dublinner
Bookworm

Post by Dublinner »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I've a feeling the Lions will run riot tomorrow and put in an exact opposite "performance" to Saturday's. I really like the balance to the team and there's no deadwood like Rees or Shaw from the last game so i reckon they'll win by at least 40 points but with a much better performance regardless of the score.
I Like your optimism but think its slightly misplaced. This team might have had a shite season but in front of 60,000 I think you can be guaranteed they plan to unleash a can of whoopass on the Lions. I think the Lions (B & I) will scrape it in a very physical game. Id say they would take a 1 point win at this stage if they were offered it. I would be more than happy with a narrow win and no injuries.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Dublinner wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I've a feeling the Lions will run riot tomorrow and put in an exact opposite "performance" to Saturday's. I really like the balance to the team and there's no deadwood like Rees or Shaw from the last game so i reckon they'll win by at least 40 points but with a much better performance regardless of the score.
I Like your optimism but think its slightly misplaced. This team might have had a shite season but in front of 60,000 I think you can be guaranteed they plan to unleash a can of whoopass on the Lions. I think the Lions (B & I) will scrape it in a very physical game. Id say they would take a 1 point win at this stage if they were offered it. I would be more than happy with a narrow win and no injuries.
Actually having looked at the Lions team again ill revise the 40 point prediction down to about 20 but i really do like the look of the team so i'll stick with that.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Guys,

Just think what a second string Munster did to a strong All Blacks outfit who were early in their tour. These kind of close games on tours are par for the course. You're playing a team that looks at this as the biggest game in years, while you're shaking off the rust, forging combinations and keeping yourself physically in the picture for Tests.

Factor in that South Africa is now edging out in front as the leading rugby nation and any side they send out at virtually any level will be a serious unit.

IMO we've a much better chance of winning tests if we build up slowly and peak at the first test than blazing out and losing the run of ourselves - arguably what happened in Australia.

The important thing is to keep winning and keep the fear going that you're not playing to your potential yet. Oh, and we need to ruck the shite out of anyone we play - end of. I want to see some mad b$&%@#ds start to emerge now - guys who will put themselves about in a serious way. Ferris, Hines, Jenkins, Williams - guys who will plough through the opposition. I'm not sure the squad has enough of them (Mears, Rees, Sheridan, POC, AW Jones, Wallace, Heaslip, Croft... none of these are mental in any way)
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Oh dear! Bad start from Stephen Jones
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

First Mears Lioneout stolen.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Wallace takes a kick in the guts trying charge a ball down
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Try for Roberts set up superbly by Drico!

Good work from pack in the build-up too. Jones Converts 7-0.