D'Arcy called up

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

D'Arcy called up

Post by thecoolfreak »

Official. On BBC Ticker now
Dublinner
Bookworm

Re: D'Arcy called up

Post by Dublinner »

Ian McGeechan and Gerald Davies have called up Gordon D'Arcy to the 2009 Lions squad.
The Ireland centre has been added to the current touring party as a precaution because of injury concerns among the backline.
D’Arcy, who toured New Zealand with the Lions four years ago but did not win a Test cap, will arrive in South Africa this Thursday and will immediately join up with his new team-mates in Johannesburg.

"Gordon has been called up due to the fact that we have had a few injury concerns in the backs," explained head coach McGeechan, who is currently putting the final touches to preparations for tonight’s clash with the Golden Lions at Coca Cola Park.

"While the injuries are being treated by the medical team we felt it prudent that we call up Gordon to provide us with extra cover in midfield."

D’Arcy was a member of Ireland’s Grand Slam winning squad earlier this season having recovered from a long-standing injury and will join the Lions in confident mood following his role in Leinster’s Heineken Cup triumph late last month.

McGeechan has already lost Tomas O’Leary, Tom Shanklin and Jerry Flannery to injury and Alan Quinlan to suspension and the Scot is now keen to cover every possibility when it comes to any further disruptions.

"Due to the short nature of this tour we have to be prepared for every eventuality," added McGeechan.

"An extra back at this stage will provide the extra depth to cover the existing injuries plus any further injuries we may encounter.

"Gordon showed in the European Rugby Cup Final and the recent Barbarians match against England that he is back to his best. He was on our reserve list and we had no hesitation in calling him up to the squad as he is an extremely experienced player who has played 41 times for his country.

"He was also a British & Irish Lion on the 2005 tour to New Zealand where he played six provincial matches. He earned a Lions' Test cap in the match against Argentina in Cardiff prior to that tour. His partnership with Brian O'Driscoll for Leinster and Ireland is a proven one and can only benefit the Lions' squad here in South Africa."

D’Arcy’s arrival in the Republic comes two days before the Lions’ third tour match against Super 14 side the Cheetahs in Bloemfontein.
Last15mins
Beginner

D'Arcy called up for the Lions

Post by Last15mins »

Just on Sky Sports News now. Absolutely delighted for him. All the best in South Africa Gordon!!!
Terraceman
Graduate

Re: D'Arcy called up for the Lions

Post by Terraceman »

Delighted for the guy he really deserves it, with a few decent game he may well find himself starting in the 1st test as well.
Ah it's alright mate I've being looking to change that wing mirror- Rocky Elsom 19/05/2009
youngco
Beginner

Post by youngco »

excellent news, well deserved! im surprised it took so long!
LeopoldButters
Enlightened

Post by LeopoldButters »

thats great news
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

Get in. Hope he makes a test match what a turn around for the guy in 12mts!!!
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
SilverSurfer
Knowledgeable

Post by SilverSurfer »

Great news, hope he gets a run out now, they did say all players would get a start in the first 3 games or something........
There are two types of people in the world, those who think there are two types of people in the world and those that don't.
AidanSloan
Knowledgeable

Post by AidanSloan »

Great news. Delighted for him
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Absolutely delighted for him.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
Comer Toes
Graduate

Post by Comer Toes »

Great news. Momentum and freshness are key on this tour and D’Arcy has both of those. Will likely start at 12 against the Cheetahs with Earls outside him maybe…
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

Comer Toes wrote:Great news. Momentum and freshness are key on this tour and D’Arcy has both of those. Will likely start at 12 against the Cheetahs with Earls outside him maybe…
Remember he won't arrice in South Africa until tomorrow. I doubt he'll start on Saturday. He might make the bench but even that would be pushing it. He has to learn all the calls, etc plus he has to get used to training and playing at altitude
orfeo
Bookworm

Post by orfeo »

what a year for him ! :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
kiddo13
Learner

Post by kiddo13 »

Delighted for him! Thoroughly deserved too!!!
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Hey Squeeze - remember this ...
TheSqueeze wrote:Not a hope Darcy getting the Lions. He burnt all his bridges when he was 'too fatigued' to play in the Lions last test 2005. I spoke with e Lions player that night in Auckland (I won't mention his name) and lets just say he thought Darcy was an idiot. He will never be picked to be a Lion again and rightly so.

Here you go - I got you a present

Present for The Squeeze
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Looking at the options at 12 you have to think D'Arcy has a good shot at making the test team now. I suspect Roberts will be the man to take the jersey but once the games are coming thick and fast anything can happen. Anyone who watched the Barbarians game at the weekend would have seen Darce back to his best. Awesome power and eye for the gap.
Turnip Boy
Knowledgeable

Post by Turnip Boy »

Great news for D'Arcy and well deserved on form but have to say it's a bit of a surprise given some of the comments from those inside the Lions camp and in particular Fran Cotton.
“It was a very simple gameplan, not the type of gameplan that would work for the Wallabies. I think it’d be too restrictive on the talent we have.” - Rocky on Leinster's style of rugby.
true blue 06
Mullet

Post by true blue 06 »

fantastic news, well deserved, he should have been there from the begining :happy clapper:
"Hickie is racing away, he's gonna get past Pelous. He's gotta time his pass, D'arcy back to Hickie... HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! That is awesome!"
Sky Sports 01/04/06

HEC CHAMPIONS 2009

LEINSTER- MAGNERS LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 2008
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

amazing player, most definitely deserves it. fingers crossed we'll get to see the best 12/13 combo in the world on the lions tour, and see darce silence the sky sports types blathering on about how flutey is the greatest ever.
Leinster Pup
Beginner

Post by Leinster Pup »

Fantastic news - delighted for him! He must have every chance of Test cap ... had another great game last Saturday.