Abolish the lions?

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Re: Abolish the lions?

Post by TrapperChamonix »

leinsterlank wrote:Largely the response I expected. I understand the economics of it. My view is that what constitues a lions tour these days is far removed from what it used to be. There's a lack of community and acceptance on the recent tours. The tour has become overly professional and forgotten that it is about a coming together of people from different countries and integrating with the host nation off the pitch. The successful tours are the ones where this has happened because the experiences shared by the team are memorable. I really enjoyed reading that some of the players visited a township because thats what the lions is in essence. Its a cash cow for all involved but is that truly what the lions is about? I love the lions and thats what it gets to me when we get hammered so much! However good we will be this year, and I will gladly eat my words if I'm wrong, the south africans will be much better!I reckon this SA team is better than the one that won the world cup. A tour like this also impacts on the players for the whole of next season, regardless of the layoff. I dont ant it to be abolished because I love the tour and it keeps rugby on tv for longer but maybe its for the best?

I think the other thing you need to remember about the history of the Lions, is that they almost always loose. The have won 4 tours in their history 71,74, 89(vAus), 97 and drew 1in '55 or '56. So it's not like their success as a concept has been built on winning. They are the ultimate underdog story, always hoping to pull something out of the bag.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
leinsterlank
Knowledgeable

Post by leinsterlank »

TrapperChamonix wrote:
leinsterlank wrote:Largely the response I expected. I understand the economics of it. My view is that what constitues a lions tour these days is far removed from what it used to be. There's a lack of community and acceptance on the recent tours. The tour has become overly professional and forgotten that it is about a coming together of people from different countries and integrating with the host nation off the pitch. The successful tours are the ones where this has happened because the experiences shared by the team are memorable. I really enjoyed reading that some of the players visited a township because thats what the lions is in essence. Its a cash cow for all involved but is that truly what the lions is about? I love the lions and thats what it gets to me when we get hammered so much! However good we will be this year, and I will gladly eat my words if I'm wrong, the south africans will be much better!I reckon this SA team is better than the one that won the world cup. A tour like this also impacts on the players for the whole of next season, regardless of the layoff. I dont ant it to be abolished because I love the tour and it keeps rugby on tv for longer but maybe its for the best?

I think the other thing you need to remember about the history of the Lions, is that they almost always loose. The have won 4 tours in their history 71,74, 89(vAus), 97 and drew 1in '55 or '56. So it's not like their success as a concept has been built on winning. They are the ultimate underdog story, always hoping to pull something out of the bag.
Valid point, but although the success hasn't changed I dont think you can argue the game hasnt!Professionalism has changed the game drastically and there are a lot more vested interests in players these days then back then. If somebody like BOD or luke doesnt perform next year or is constantly injured I know I'm blaming the lions! The body just isnt up to a 10 months season.
"It feels great. I've played for the team for 10 years and it was worth the wait. I love Leinster and I wanted to do it before the end of my career."

- BOD, Heineken Cup and Grand Slam Winner 2009
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

leinsterlank wrote:
Valid point, but although the success hasn't changed I dont think you can argue the game hasnt!Professionalism has changed the game drastically and there are a lot more vested interests in players these days then back then. If somebody like BOD or luke doesnt perform next year or is constantly injured I know I'm blaming the lions! The body just isnt up to a 10 months season.
Funny how the vested interests point the finger at the biggest competition when they're talking about player welfare. If BOD &al need breaks then they can still get them. Lions or not they've had seriously tough seasons, but the hits don't hurt as much when you win.

Lions could be excused from the autumn internationals and given extra recovery time at the start of the Magners League, if deemed necessary. We've built up a good reputation in Ireland for looking after players and ensuring they don't play too many games. It's a good opportunity to cement that and allow a few of the others get some game-time.

I find it so strange that some people seriously consider the argument that 5 or so matches over a 6 week period every 4 years is too much. There's no questions asked when the Magners League gets expanded to include Italian teams (a good idea).
leinsterlank
Knowledgeable

Post by leinsterlank »

those five or six games require full time training which just further debiltates the body after an already longs season. I understand the lions will get breaks at the start of next season and hopefully will recover and I'm rooting for them just as much as everybody else!! I just think its an interesting debate to be discussed. What are the merits and positives of a lions tour in peoples opinions?
"It feels great. I've played for the team for 10 years and it was worth the wait. I love Leinster and I wanted to do it before the end of my career."

- BOD, Heineken Cup and Grand Slam Winner 2009