Lions team v Cheetahs

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Lions team to face Cheetahs

Post by Danthefan »

Quite annoyed Fitz is at 12 tbh, he has a chance of making the test side playing on the wing but no chance playing at 12. Not getting a fair crack really, though know they're short on centres. Starting D'Arcy, Fitz on the wing and Williams to the bench would have been better imo.

Paul O'Connell returns to lead the British & Irish Lions in their third tour fixture against the Vodacom Free State Cheetahs in Bloemfontein tomorrow.
He will be joined in the second row by his Munster and Ireland partner Donncha O’Callaghan, who will make his first appearance on tour.

While O’Callaghan was capped in New Zealand in 2005, there will be Lions debuts for Cardiff Blues wing Leigh Halfpenny and Leinster utility back Luke Fitzgerald.

Although Fitzgerald played on the wing for Ireland throughout their Grand Slam campaign, and for Leinster as they won the Heineken Cup for the first time, he is chosen at inside centre for the Bloemfontein clash.

With Riki Flutey still carrying a knee strain from the opening fixture against the Royal XV, and Jamie Roberts needing a break after two successive starts, Fitzgerald has been given the No 12 shirt to complete an all-Ireland centre pairing.

Munster’s Keith Earls will get his second start on tour after recovering from the sore shoulder he suffered in the opening victory in Rustenburg.

Halfpenny finally gets his chance to wear the Lions jersey after linking up with the squad this week following eight days of intensive physiotherapy and treatment at his club. He will form an all-Welsh back three with Lee Byrne and Shane Williams.

England scrum-half Harry Ellis gets his first start after an eight-minute cameo against the Golden Lions on Wednesday night. He will partner James Hook at half-back.

Up front, Scotland’s Ross Ford and Euan Murray will get their first starts in a front row that is completed by Andrew Sheridan, who has recovered from his appalling blisters.

Wales No8 Andy Powell and Irish flanker Stephen Ferris, who both had to pull out of the opening fixture and then came on as replacements on Wednesday, get their first starts in the back row. England’s Joe Worsley joins them, but switches from blindside to openside from his first outing in Rustenburg.

Gordon D’Arcy, the Ireland and Leinster centre who joined the tour this week to provide extra midfield cover, is included among the replacements. He made his Lions debut against Argentina in 2005 and played six times in New Zealand.

Five players who started in the opening game – Matthew Rees (hooker), Adam Jones (prop), Simon Shaw (lock), Ronan O’Gara (outside-half) and Mike Bliar (scrum-half) – appear among the replacements. Nathan Hines, who started at lock on Wednesday night, joins them as cover for the back row.

British & Irish Lions (vs Vodacom Free State Cheetahs)

15. Lee Byrne (Ospreys / Wales)
14. Leigh Halfpenny (Cardiff Blues / Wales)
13. Keith Earls (Munster / Ireland)
12. Luke Fitzgerald (Leinster / Ireland)
11. Shane Williams (Ospreys / Wales)
10. James Hook (Ospreys / Wales)
9. Harry Ellis (Leicester Tigers / England)

8. Andy Powell (Cardiff Blues / Wales)
7. Joe Worsley (London Wasps / England)
6. Stephen Ferris (Ulster / Ireland)
5. Paul O’Connell (Munster / Ireland – Captain)
4. Donncha O’Callaghan (Munster / Ireland)
3. Euan Murray (Northampton Saints / Scotland)
2. Ross Ford (Edinburgh / Scotland)
1. Andrew Sheridan (Sale Sharks / England)

Replacements

16. Matthew Rees (Scarlets / Wales)
17. Adam Jones (Ospreys / Wales)
18. Simon Shaw (London Wasps / England)
19. Nathan Hines (Perpignan / Scotland)
20. Gordon D’Arcy (Leinster / Ireland)
21. Ronan O’Gara (Munster / Ireland)
22. Mike Blair (Edinburgh / Scotland)
mhow
Knowledgeable

Lions team v Cheetahs

Post by mhow »

British & Irish Lions (vs Vodacom Free State Cheetahs)

15. Lee Byrne (Ospreys / Wales)
14. Leigh Halfpenny (Cardiff Blues / Wales)
13. Keith Earls (Munster / Ireland)
12. Luke Fitzgerald (Leinster / Ireland)
11. Shane Williams (Ospreys / Wales)
10. James Hook (Ospreys / Wales)
9. Harry Ellis (Leicester Tigers / England)

8. Andy Powell (Cardiff Blues / Wales)
7. Joe Worsley (London Wasps / England)
6. Stephen Ferris (Ulster / Ireland)
5. Paul O’Connell (Munster / Ireland – Captain)
4. Donncha O’Callaghan (Munster / Ireland)
3. Euan Murray (Northampton Saints / Scotland)
2. Ross Ford (Edinburgh / Scotland)
1. Andrew Sheridan (Sale Sharks / England)

Replacements

16. Matthew Rees (Scarlets / Wales)
17. Adam Jones (Ospreys / Wales)
18. Simon Shaw (London Wasps / England)
19. Nathan Hines (Perpignan / Scotland)
20. Gordon D’Arcy (Leinster / Ireland)
21. Ronan O’Gara (Munster / Ireland)
22. Mike Blair (Edinburgh / Scotland)
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Re: Lions team v Cheetahs

Post by ceemec »

Pretty disappointed to see Fitz at 12. Don't see the reasoning behind it. Suggests they're more interested in Halfpenny on the wing and not too pushed about Darce. Fitz isn't a centre. Hasn't developed the game for it yet and a Lions tour isn't the place to do that.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Can't see that pack delivering as dynamic a performance as the one given during the week. Much more of a set piece based unit lacking the dynamism in the ball carrying stakes. Expect this to be a much closer affair than the one on Wednesday.

EDIT: Bizarre having no backrow player on the bench. None of the locks can even cover backrow although DOC played there many moons ago.
Isaac4leinster
Mullet

Post by Isaac4leinster »

A bit callow looking in the backs me thinks
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

What a huge pack. Monsters.

Someone made the point that there's no back-row cover on the bench, just more monsters [Shaw, Hines, Adam Jones]. Not an ideal start for Luke, they're obviously giving Shane Williams every chance to play his way back into form.
ror
Graduate

Post by ror »

yeah that team selection sugguests he is not in the running for a test place. But given the quality there that was to be expected.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

I'm not too bothered about this. At half time, Darce will come on for Shane Williams and Fitz will move out to 11.

It's not like he has no experience at 12, and as a wing he has become brilliant defensively, which will help. As a centre partnership, it has an air of seeing into the future about it. Potentially anyway. A lot of people still think Luke will end up in the centre for Ireland / Leinster.

I reckon the first 40 minutes will be huge for deciding if Shane Williams has enough form to start the tests. I don't agree with people that keep saying that Williams will get the spot whatever he does. Monye and Fitz have too much potential.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

ceemec wrote:Pretty disappointed to see Fitz at 12. Don't see the reasoning behind it. Suggests they're more interested in Halfpenny on the wing and not too pushed about Darce. Fitz isn't a centre. Hasn't developed the game for it yet and a Lions tour isn't the place to do that.
D'Arcy was never going to start this game. he's only had one training session with the squad and that would have been the captain's run today. There is no way he could be expected to know the calls, patterns, etc on such short notice. Given that Flutey is injured and BOD is to be wrapped in cotton wool there was little option but to play Luke at centre. If he puts in a good performance he could be doing his test chances a world of good as he'd be proving his versatility which would come in very handy come test time
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

thecoolfreak wrote:
ceemec wrote:Pretty disappointed to see Fitz at 12. Don't see the reasoning behind it. Suggests they're more interested in Halfpenny on the wing and not too pushed about Darce. Fitz isn't a centre. Hasn't developed the game for it yet and a Lions tour isn't the place to do that.
D'Arcy was never going to start this game. he's only had one training session with the squad and that would have been the captain's run today. There is no way he could be expected to know the calls, patterns, etc on such short notice. Given that Flutey is injured and BOD is to be wrapped in cotton wool there was little option but to play Luke at centre. If he puts in a good performance he could be doing his test chances a world of good as he'd be proving his versatility which would come in very handy come test time
I'm sure he'd rather start as a winger rather than sub as a utility back.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

CiaranIrl wrote:I'm not too bothered about this. At half time, Darce will come on for Shane Williams and Fitz will move out to 11.

It's not like he has no experience at 12, and as a wing he has become brilliant defensively, which will help. As a centre partnership, it has an air of seeing into the future about it. Potentially anyway. A lot of people still think Luke will end up in the centre for Ireland / Leinster.

I reckon the first 40 minutes will be huge for deciding if Shane Williams has enough form to start the tests. I don't agree with people that keep saying that Williams will get the spot whatever he does. Monye and Fitz have too much potential.
That's a big assumption. After tomorrow they'll have 3 matches gone and only 3 left before the first test. We can assume Fitz may only get a start in one other match before the test. Massive call for him not to be on the wing and Williams to be involved for the third match in a row.

Only player to be involved in 3 matches I think? Welsh coaches? No way.
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

Danthefan wrote:
thecoolfreak wrote:
I'm sure he'd rather start as a winger rather than sub as a utility back.
Could still start and have a wing on the bench. He moves to centre if a centre gets injured with the wing coming on.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

thecoolfreak wrote:
To be honest I was sort of expecting Hook to start 12 and Fitz to be on the wing. Would've made more sense to me.
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

I've been looking forward to an Earls/Fitz centre partnership for some time, but it's unfortunate that it has come in circumstances where the decision will probably hamper (but by no means destroy) Luke's chances of a test spot. With Flutey injured, D'Arcy absolutely shagged from a few weeks of non-stop playing and travelling and Roberts having played two games already this week, this selection was always likely. Not to worry though, the prediction above of D'Arce coming on at half-time or 50 minutes is probably correct.

The pack (and their replacements) are some pack of mongoloids. Worsley at 7 is a strange call, Ferris has played there a lot more recently and is infinitely quicker in the loose. Leave the tree-cutter to what he's good at, scything down the big men from the opposition. I expect big games from Powell and DOC to properly introduce themselves on the tour.

The Cheetahs are a physical side, right across the park. Most of the centres in their squad are in or around 100kg. The game plan would seem to be to utterly crush them up front (at scrum-time in particular) in the early stages before spreading it out wide as the match progresses. I would expect to see a lot of rolling mauls in the first 20 or so.

Overall, in the circumstances, it's an interesting side and one that could be well suited to this game. I doubt whether the match will be as free-flowing as Wednesday night but I would expect a tidy win for the Lions nonetheless.
Last edited by tackle-bag on June 5th, 2009, 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

ceemec wrote:
CiaranIrl wrote:I'm not too bothered about this. At half time, Darce will come on for Shane Williams and Fitz will move out to 11.

That's a big assumption. After tomorrow they'll have 3 matches gone and only 3 left before the first test. We can assume Fitz may only get a start in one other match before the test. Massive call for him not to be on the wing and Williams to be involved for the third match in a row.

Only player to be involved in 3 matches I think? Welsh coaches? No way.
The only other realistic option was to play Hook at 12 and ROG at 10 and move Fitzgerald to the wing. In fairness to Hook he deserves his shot at the 10 jersey as much as Jones or ROG so given the injury to Flutey and Roberts having played two games this was the only option
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Going by the Lions bios, Ferris is the lightest forward on pitch at 17st 2lbs. The starting pack weighs in at a cumulative 141st 7lbs [roughly 17st 7lbs per man], and if the fatties on the bench come on, that'll go up to 146st 2lbs [roughly 18st 6lbs per man] – somebody e-mailed me those stats, but I'm pretty sure they're correct.

BIGGEST. PACK. EVER.
jhc99
Knowledgeable

Post by jhc99 »

tackle-bag wrote:I've been looking forward to an Earls/Fitz centre partnership for some time, but it's unfortunate that it has come in circumstances where the decision will probably hamper (but by no means destroy) Luke's chances of a test spot. With Flutey injured, D'Arcy absolutely shagged from a few weeks of non-stop playing and travelling and Roberts having played two games already this week, this selection was always likely. Not to worry though, the prediction above of D'Arce coming on at half-time or 50 minutes is probably correct.

The pack (and their replacements) are some pack of mongoloids. Worsley at 7 is a strange call, Ferris has played there a lot more recently and is infinitely quicker in the loose. Leave the tree-cutter to what he's good at, scything down the big men from the opposition. I expect big games from Powell and DOC to properly introduce themselves on the tour.

The Cheetahs are a physical side, right across the park. Most of the centres in their squad are in or around 100kg. The game plan would seem to be to utterly crush them up front (at scrum-time in particular) in the early stages before spreading it out wide as the match progresses. I would expect to see a lot of rolling mauls in the first 20 or so.

Overall, in the circumstances, it's an interesting side and one that could be well suited to this game. I doubt whether the match will be as free-flowing as Wednesday night but I would expect a tidy win for the Lions nonetheless.
Didn't Worsley play 7 during the Six Nations?
In BOD we trust
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

thecoolfreak wrote:The only other realistic option was to play Hook at 12 and ROG at 10 and move Fitzgerald to the wing. In fairness to Hook he deserves his shot at the 10 jersey as much as Jones or ROG so given the injury to Flutey and Roberts having played two games this was the only option
Quite true. I expected Hook at 12 as said above. The backs just seem a bit green for me. There's nobody in there who will calm things down and relieve some pressure if the Cheetahs put it up to them. Someone like ROG to just kick to the corner and play more clinically. If the backs click, it could be awesome but I'd fear they could all blow their test hopes in one fell swoop.
Isaac4leinster
Mullet

Post by Isaac4leinster »

hugonaut wrote:Going by the Lions bios, Ferris is the lightest forward on pitch at 17st 2lbs. The starting pack weighs in at a cumulative 141st 7lbs [roughly 17st 7lbs per man], and if the fatties on the bench come on, that'll go up to 146st 2lbs [roughly 18st 6lbs per man] – somebody e-mailed me those stats, but I'm pretty sure they're correct.

BIGGEST. PACK. EVER.

Think it even bigger than that! According to my calculations:

Andy Powell 114kg
Worsely 114kg
Ferris 109
DOC 110
POC 111
Murray 120
Ford 110
Sheridan 120

Pack weight 908kg/143st 6Ibs

Average weight 113.5kg/17st 10Ilbs

I remember a few years back an SA pack weighed 920kg which was a record I think

NOTE: The Lions website pack weights are inaccurate
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

jhc99 wrote:
tackle-bag wrote:I've been looking forward to an Earls/Fitz centre partnership for some time, but it's unfortunate that it has come in circumstances where the decision will probably hamper (but by no means destroy) Luke's chances of a test spot. With Flutey injured, D'Arcy absolutely shagged from a few weeks of non-stop playing and travelling and Roberts having played two games already this week, this selection was always likely. Not to worry though, the prediction above of D'Arce coming on at half-time or 50 minutes is probably correct.

Didn't Worsley play 7 during the Six Nations?
Just checked and you're completely correct, apologies. To my mind, however, Haskell played in much more of an openside role with Worsley figuring more as a blindside.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent