Lions Team to Face Sharks

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Lions Team to Face Sharks

Post by tackle-bag »

Just announced:

15. Byrne
14. Williams
13. BOD
12. Roberts
11. Fitzgerald
10. ROG
9. Phillips
1. Jenkins
2. Mears
3. Jones
4. Jones
5. POC
6. Croft
7. Wallace
8. Heaslip

Replacements:

16. Rees
17. Vickery
18. Shaw
19. Worsley
20. Blair
21. Flutey
22. Halfpenny
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Lions Team to Face Sharks

Post by sarah_lennon »

The persistence with S WIlliams is worrying me
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
youngco
Beginner

Post by youngco »

that looks pretty much the test side with maybe the exception of jones at ten and bowe on the wing. management seem to be giving shane williams as much time as poosible to regain his form!!
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

A couple of very interesting selections there. Bowe is obviously nailed on for the wing spot and is therefore being given a rest. A top class performance from Fitz might well see him nab the other flank. Can't understand Williams getting yet another run-out (as far as I can see he has played more than anyone else) - he's clearly not on form and doesn't deserve all these chances.

Further indication that Roberts and BOD will be the Test centres, as if we already didn't know.

ROG must take his chance alongside Phillips (a guaranteed starter) if he wants to feature in the Test series.

I'm disappointed not to see Croft in the second row because I think it will be where he will ultimately wind up. A big game from Wallace will mean an all-Irish back row for the first Test.

In all, that's about 90% of the Test team. They should be too strong for the Sharks who will be without their internationals.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

sarah_lennon wrote:The persistence with S WIlliams is worrying me
Yep, agreed. Why is he getting so many more chances than other players?
waterboy
Graduate

Post by waterboy »

Williams obviously has some incriminating pictures of Gatland enjoying the company of some farm animals to be still getting a starting spot in the team!
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

Also disappointed for Kearney, they've obviously decided to not give him a chance at starting a test. The main players will probably be rested for a while after this so he'll play a few dirttracker games and that's about it.
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

thats a serious team he's putting out. 12 & 14 look like the weakest spots though
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

gfo wrote:thats a serious team he's putting out. 12 & 14 look like the weakest spots though
Jamie Roberts? He's probably been the stand out player on tour so far. Kearney may still have a chance. A big performance on Saturday could see him put pressure on Byrne. Although if Byrne has a good game on Wednesday he's nailed on
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

thecoolfreak wrote: A big performance on Saturday could see him put pressure on Byrne. Although if Byrne has a good game on Wednesday he's nailed on
Exactly, Kearney isn't being given a chance.

I guess I'm just disappointed for him as a Leinster fan, I know Byrne is a class player and it's hardly going to be an injustice if he starts the tests. Just would like Kearney to be given the chance to show what he can do.

The more I think about it the more annoyed I am by Shane Williams' selection.
Last edited by Danthefan on June 8th, 2009, 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Just can't fathom some choices. Kearney and Monye have played 1/4 games. Williams has 4/4. The only player to have done so and is also arguably the worst player on tour so far. Several players look to have been discounted already. If I was Darce I'd be pretty p*ssed off. Have to assume that looking at Flutey is a higher priority and he will start on Saturday. Surprised they're starting several players when there are other options there. Reckon Halfpenny might get a look in at 15 at some stage.

Think that will be the test back row. People are really jumping the gun on Ferris. Yes, he's been good but Croft was good in his match too. Wallace at 7 would allow Croft to do more in the loose and he's also superior in the line out. Still very much an open battle. If he plays well on Wednesday I think he'll make the test side.
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

ceemec wrote:Just can't fathom some choices. Kearney and Monye have played 1/4 games. Williams has 4/4. The only player to have done so and is also arguably the worst player on tour so far. Several players look to have been discounted already. If I was Darce I'd be pretty p*ssed off. Have to assume that looking at Flutey is a higher priority and he will start on Saturday. Surprised they're starting several players when there are other options there. Reckon Halfpenny might get a look in at 15 at some stage.

Think that will be the test back row. People are really jumping the gun on Ferris. Yes, he's been good but Croft was good in his match too. Wallace at 7 would allow Croft to do more in the loose and he's also superior in the line out. Still very much an open battle. If he plays well on Wednesday I think he'll make the test side.
The problem for Croft is the physicality of the Boks back row. Ferris is probably the most powerful athlete in the Lions squad and he's exactly the type of player that you want to play at blindside when facing the Boks
AidanSloan
Knowledgeable

Post by AidanSloan »

tackle-bag wrote: I'm disappointed not to see Croft in the second row because I think it will be where he will ultimately wind up. .
I think he's probably just too light. Paired with O Connell, in a test they'd be giving away 15kg in the second row alone.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

thecoolfreak wrote:
ceemec wrote:Just can't fathom some choices. Kearney and Monye have played 1/4 games. Williams has 4/4. The only player to have done so and is also arguably the worst player on tour so far. Several players look to have been discounted already. If I was Darce I'd be pretty p*ssed off. Have to assume that looking at Flutey is a higher priority and he will start on Saturday. Surprised they're starting several players when there are other options there. Reckon Halfpenny might get a look in at 15 at some stage.

The problem for Croft is the physicality of the Boks back row. Ferris is probably the most powerful athlete in the Lions squad and he's exactly the type of player that you want to play at blindside when facing the Boks
Just don't think they'll go for an all Irish back row. It showed last week that Heaslip and Wallace are able to do the grunt work at the breakdown and Croft is that bit more free to get about the park and do his thing in the lineout. Ferris is a freak of nature in terms of power but people say this like Croft is 5ft 9" and 12 stone. It's similar to people banging on about Croft's pace. Ferris isn't exactly a slouch. Certainly nothing set in stone but if they go for Wallace and Heaslip I think Croft is the other person they'll choose particularly for the lineout work. If Croft goes well tomorrow night I think the jersey is his and I reckon McGeechan has chosen this back row with this in mind. Serious test starters look about the pack.
lummix
Graduate

Post by lummix »

I think its a lot of the test team. Vickery will come off the bench and that will be the test front row and pack id wager. O Gara has this one chance, hed want to be brilliant on wednesday night to keep out jones. I think its a shoot out between Williams and fitz for the other wing spot.

I reckon the test team split 6 irish, 6 welsh 3 english
Dublinner
Bookworm

Post by Dublinner »

I think Ferris will start the first test because of his sheer physicality gives him an edge over Croft. Croft will come on in the backrow as the game opens up a little IMO. I just wouldnt have him in the second row.

I agree this is the bones of the test side, but there will still be places up for grabs until after Saturdays game. Kearney will still have a crack at the test squad albeit he will have to produce a stormer on Saturday.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Pretty much exactly what i was going to say! I'd also add that Kearney (as has already been mentioned) has been treated terribly.
I agree about Croft/Ferris. In fact i think Croft is the frontrunner there and don't think Ferris has done much on tour to put himself forward for selection.Yes he scored two good tries that showed off his pace but what else has he done? I'm a big fan of Ferris but don't think he's really shown what he can do so far plus I think that yellow card may count against him big time. However, even though I think Croft is the frontrunner and had a great game last Wednesday I think he'd be eaten alive by the Boks and apart from the lineout and him being sent backwards whenever he did get the ball I don't think you'd notice him because he goes missing in physical games.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Couldn't agree more with the last two posters. Pairing Croft with O'Connell would make for a very light second row in comparison with the Boks second row, thus depowering the scrum, which is probably the strongest element of the Lions' play going on what we've seen so far.

You could argue that Croft adds an excellent lineout option, but how exactly do you work that: O'Connell has jumped at four for the majority of his career, and moving him out of position to compete at 2 would lessen his impact by putting him in relatively unfamiliar circumstances. Similarly, while Croft has the athleticism to function as an option anywhere in a defensive lineout [a great natural spring and light enough for a one-man lift], he's not a practiced jumper at 2 either, and in my opinion doesn't have the physicality to dominate Botha at the front of the lineout. Very interesting to hear Donncah O'Callaghan's recent post-Cheetah's interview in that context:

'He expressed his delight with the changes to the laws that now thrust a number two lineout jumper back into the mix. “Two is back. I’ll be honest, I said it all along about that ELV that for a two jumper it was a balls; you just weren’t getting any ball because their hooker was allowed to come in. It just didn’t make any sense. So, I’m glad that rule was changed.”'

Furthermore, the Lions may struggle to set up a maul off two with Croft there - you can still legally pull a maul down by bringing the catcher to the deck once he's hit the ground, and Botha would eat Croft in those circumstances. That's not to say that Alun Wyn Jones would necessarily be the answer either - he jumps at 4 for Wales, with Gough at 2, and while he's in the best form of the second rows on tour, he's arguably too similar to O'Connell to play effectively together with him. Simon "Bruce? Bruce? Bruce? Shawsy!" Shaw had a poor outing in his first match, but what can you expect from a 35 year old at altitude in his first game – everyone was poor that day. The other second row slot is very much up for grabs.

The constant selection of Shane Williams in order to play him into form must be pretty galling for some other players – he's had four out of four games now, and while Luke is finally getting a shot on the left wing, if Williams doesn't do it on Wednesday, that should be his last shot. Kearney is not exactly getting a fair crack of the whip either – beyond Byrne dropping the last up and under, he was also extremely hesitant twice in front of the bouncing ball on the right wing in the first half.

With regards to Ferris vs Croft, I'd say it's honours even on performances so far, but as mentioned by the coolfreak, Ferris plays a more physical game. The omission of Brussouw from the Boks panel may mean that Wallace might get the edge over Williams if he has a good outing – there's no way that Burger can be as effective at the breakdown as Brussouw was for the Cheetahs, so it'd make more sense to counter his physicality with Wallace's strength and pace. Thats said, the Lions could play Williams in the Brussouw role to exploit his breakdown instinct against a bigger Bok backrow, so maybe that's not as clear a call as it seems. Heaslip is nailed on at No8.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I'm also worried that Shane Williams hasn't actually gotten ENOUGH gametime and I hope the rumours that the management want to replay the Golden Lions to give him the full 80 are true. His selection (and to a lesser extent Roberts) really makes me angry and Monye, D'arcy, Flutey and Kearney must be really p****ed off and i wouldn't blame them. I wonder will there be a rift in the squad now? Another thing that worries me is that the the Lions won't have played enough games before the tests in terms of both getting the test team combinations playing with each other but also trying out players which is clearly a problem.
true blue 06
Mullet

Post by true blue 06 »

why the f%~k isn't kearney there?? shane williams again! what a joke, has he been involved in every game now?
"Hickie is racing away, he's gonna get past Pelous. He's gotta time his pass, D'arcy back to Hickie... HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! That is awesome!"
Sky Sports 01/04/06

HEC CHAMPIONS 2009

LEINSTER- MAGNERS LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 2008