Where they stand in terms of selection

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

1moretune
Beginner

Re: Where they stand in terms of selection

Post by 1moretune »

15.Byrne
14.Bowe
13.O'Driscoll
12.Roberts
11.Monye
10.Jones
1.Jenkins
2.Mears
3.Murray
4.AW Jones
5.O'Connell
6.Croft
7.Wallace
8.Heaslip

Apart from Byrne coming in for Kearney, who hasn't been given any sort of realistic chance, i reckon it'll be the same backline from the Golden Lions game. Luke Fitz has a shot tomorrow to take the 11 shirt but i still think Monye will get in.
Euan Murray has gone up against Tendai Mtawarira before and got the better of him, so i'd be very suprised if he isn't picked at tighthead.
Initially i would've gone for Hines to partner POC but AWJ has been very impressive and deserves his place.
I would've started Ferris but now he's gone, Croft walks in. According to the paper Martyn Williams is struggling with the altitude aswell as injury, so Wallace for 7.Jamie is as guaranteed a start at 8 as O'Connell is a 5, as far as i'm concerned, he world class.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

What difference does it make?

Now that Ferris is out I'm starting to feel uncertain that the Lions can win it.
dipper
Knowledgeable

Post by dipper »

I'm not so sure about Monye starting the tests. He's pretty raw at this level (6 caps for England and 1 try). Obviously we know he's lightning fast but is that really enough? Shane Williams would surely still be a better bet but he's playing himself out of the team which each passing match! A big performance from Fitzgerald would really give him a chance of making it.

Backrow definitely weakened now with Ferris going home. I think we really needed him. It's good news for Croft as he looks like he's certain to make the test squad at the very least. Gutted for Ferris though.
1moretune
Beginner

Post by 1moretune »

I don't think Shane Williams should be anywhere near the test team, he's completely out of form. I am hoping that Luke has a stormer tomorrow night and takes the 11 shirt but at the moment i think Monye is ahead of him. I do think Luke will make the 22 though.
Losing ferris is a massive blow, i think he was a guaranteed starter and the Springboks would've hated him. Croft is obviously very different to Ferris but is a tremendous athlete and is realistically the only option for blindside.
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

ronk wrote:What difference does it make?

Now that Ferris is out I'm starting to feel uncertain that the Lions can win it.
I'd agree there, think he was vital to winning the series.
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

If not before, Lee Byrne and Jamie Heaslip in. Shane Williams out.
silly punt
Enlightened

Post by silly punt »

15 Byrne
14 Bowe
13 O'Driscoll
12 Roberts
11 Fitxgerald
10 Jones
9 Philips
8 Heaslip
7 Wallace
6 Croft
5 AW Jones
4 O'Connell
3 Murray
2 Mears
1 Sheridan

16 Jenkins
17 Ford
18 Hines
19 Worsley
20 Ellis
21 O'Gara (they could pick Hook as covers centre also)
22 Kearney
Experience is the name everyone gives to their failures
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Can anyone else see Jenkins moving to tighthead so that Sheridan can play? Nobody has stood out at tighthead and and as much as I don't rate Sheridan I can still see him sneaking in.
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Can anyone else see Jenkins moving to tighthead so that Sheridan can play? Nobody has stood out at tighthead and and as much as I don't rate Sheridan I can still see him sneaking in.

I can see exactly that happening
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

15 Byrne
14 Bowe
13 O'Driscoll
12 Roberts
11 Monye (Fitz will play at altitude)
10 Jones
9 Philips
8 Heaslip
7 Wallace
6 Croft
5 O'Connell
4 Hines
3 Vickery
2 Mears
1 Sheridan

16 Jenkins
17 Ford
18 AW Jones
19 Worsley
20 Blair
21 Hook
22 Fitz
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

silly punt wrote:15 Byrne
14 Bowe
13 O'Driscoll
12 Roberts
11 Fitxgerald
10 Jones
9 Philips
8 Heaslip
7 Wallace
6 Croft
5 AW Jones
4 O'Connell
3 Murray
2 Mears
1 Sheridan

16 Jenkins
17 Ford
18 Hines
19 Worsley
20 Ellis
21 O'Gara (they could pick Hook as covers centre also)
22 Kearney
I also reckon they'll pick James Hook as a sub to cover 10 and 12, with Shane Williams on the bench to bring on for natural pace when/if the game opens up and the Lions are chasing points. However, I also think that I think if Riki Flutely plays well on Saturday, he could really make a point. That's because they do seem to be worried about Jamie Roberts and Brian O'Drsicoll's fitness (same reason for Hook). I reckon Kearney has been pushed out of the way, instead of playing his way out of it. Saturday will also tell us who starts at 11. They simply can't pick Shane Williams as a starter, so if Monye eats up the WP, he should get it. Another player with limitied opportunities. Lee Byrne shouldn't start again because he is going to be peppered with balls on Saturday week. Did you notice how the Bulls' number one ploy when they have possession that isn't turn over ball, is Morne Steyn hanging up and under, and always, absolutely always, it's Bryan Habana as the main chaser? If it works for the Bulls, the Boks will try it. Mils Muliania did a reasonable job covering it in the Final, but they'll defo test Byrne.
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Croft was anonymous last night. He stood watching quite a few rucks and I am still not at all impressed by his physicality. He only ever looks good when a team has been beaten. You’ll rarely see him carry out the hard work required by any top class international 6. I’d almost prefer Worsley or Ryan Jones to him at this stage. At least Worzel works his hole off, even if he’s a limited player.
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

jezzer wrote:15 Byrne
14 Bowe
13 O'Driscoll
12 Roberts
10 Jones
9 Philips
8 Heaslip
7 Wallace
6 Croft
5 O'Connell
4 Hines
3 Vickery
2 Mears
1 Sheridan

16 Jenkins
17 Ford
18 AW Jones
19 Worsley
20 Blair
21 Hook
22 Fitz
Looks like the right call to me, though I can't say it fills me with a high degree of confidence. We could have done with Flannery and Ferris starting and TOL on the bench
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

jezzer wrote:15 Byrne
14 Bowe
13 O'Driscoll
12 Roberts
10 Jones
9 Philips
8 Heaslip
7 Wallace
6 Croft
5 O'Connell
4 Hines
3 Vickery
2 Mears
1 Sheridan

16 Jenkins
17 Ford
18 AW Jones
19 Worsley
20 Blair
21 Hook
22 Fitz
I'd agree with this selection bar Vickery. The man is a penalty magnet, and that yellow card did him no favours. I can see them putting Jenkins at 3 maybe? Adam Jones did a better job last night than Murray did on Saturday. I'd start Adam Jones I think, but only if he cut his hair.

Actually, the camera didn't seem to show the Vickery yellow card incident very well - does anyone know much about it?
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

Looked like a charge in the back on someone who was loitering near a ruck. Bit like Danny Care in LR.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

I think the backs pretty much pick themselves especially after the Western Province game. The forwards are tougher pick. Think we may see something like this.
1. Jenkins
2. Mears
3. Vickery
4. Hines
5. POC
6. Wallace
7. Williams
8. Jamie
9. Phillips
10. Jones
11. Monye
12. Roberts
13. BOD
14. Bowe
15. Byrne

Jones may very well start over Hines, but I think Hines may just shade it as would be the better partnership with POC. Williams played himself into starting XV, Wallace because of his versatility can play blindside, not his ideal postion but would be of more benefit than Croft. Though Croft may get the nod as he is an extra line out option.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

I think DOC has put himself into contention for the other lock spot. He was very good today. A lot of donkey work and very solid in the line out. It beggars belief that Sky barely mentioned him for 80 minutes when he took eight line outs today and also pinched one on oppo ball! I think 6 in a row went to him and he still took them comfortably despite WP challenging each time. Reckon AWJ will start alongside POC now. Hines was a bit too quiet today but DOC deserves consideration.

The back row is just a serious problem area now. Worsley was decent but not spectacular. Did a fair bit of grunt but doesn't offer a great option in the line and not great with ball. Have a hunch he'll start though. Croft was anonymous when he came on again today.

Kearney looked good but not good enough. He was going to have to do something special to be in the test team and he didn't really do that. A good, solid performance as good as what we've seen from Byrne so far. Just unlucky. If the coaches weren't Welsh or he had the HEC run in perhaps he'd be in the 15 but as it is the best he can hope for is the bench. Most other Lions tours he'd be starting full back. I do think he'll get a test cap or two though before the tour is over.

Monye did ok. Looked sharp with ball in hand and found a few holes in the defence. Finished the try well. His positioning in defence isn't in Luke's league though. He shot up out of defence once or twice which was highlighted when quick hands saw the man outside him being released and him in no mans land with a gap behind him. Expect him to start though just about with Luke on the bench. Could swap for 2nd test.

My 15 after today:

15. Byrne
14. Bowe
13. BOD
12. Roberts
11. Monye
10. Jones (just about really....did himself little favour today)
9. Phillips
8. Jamie
7. Williams (just about, Welsh connection could swing it. Was good today. So intelligent and ruthless when opportunity knocks)
6. Worsley (I honestly don't know about this one....in more by default as Croft has been useless recently)
5. POC
4. AWJ
3. Vickery
2. Mears
1. Jenkins

EDIT: Hope Darce gets a decent tan out there. May as well get something out of the trip. Has been handled poorly. It would have made bugger all difference to give him 10 minutes near the end especially with Flutely being anonymous. He could have at least given some go forward ball and momentum. Shabbily treated.
true blue 06
Mullet

Post by true blue 06 »

i think geech has let himself down... he said every player would be given the opportunity to make the test team. gordan d'arcy has been in S now for what 3 games and has played 5 mins i think?? i thought when d'arce arrived he might make the 22 if given the chance. he's far better than earls and flutey but has now not been given the chance, like luke fitzgerald
"Hickie is racing away, he's gonna get past Pelous. He's gotta time his pass, D'arcy back to Hickie... HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! That is awesome!"
Sky Sports 01/04/06

HEC CHAMPIONS 2009

LEINSTER- MAGNERS LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 2008
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Agree with Ceemac that DOC played well today.I assume AWJ will start next Saturday but I think that'll come back to haunt them because as good and all a player as he is he didn't look comfortable jumping at 2 during the week which would be fine if his opponent wasn't Bakkies Botha but I can see the Boks being all over our lineout ball. There's also the fact that he won't do as good a job at the dirty work as DOC or Hines.

I'm beginning to think Lee Mears is now the most important player on the tour because the other 2 hookers really are shocking. If any of them as much as breaks a nail then Rory Best should be called out and I think they're so far off the pace that he should be called up even without an injury.I'm fairly sure that DOC got so much ball today because Rees knew that if he tried to throw it anywhere else it would just be embarrassing and that it didn't have anything to do with the weather.
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

true blue 06 wrote:i think geech has let himself down... he said every player would be given the opportunity to make the test team. gordan d'arcy has been in S now for what 3 games and has played 5 mins i think?? i thought when d'arce arrived he might make the 22 if given the chance. he's far better than earls and flutey but has now not been given the chance, like luke fitzgerald
Remember there is more than one test. If D'Arcy has a good performance on Tuesday he may yet have a big part to play in this test series.