Burger's out of the first test

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

Comer Toes
Graduate

Burger's out of the first test

Post by Comer Toes »

Schalk Burger is set to miss the first Test against the British & Irish Lions in Durban.

According to newspaper reports on Friday, the Bok flank has a serious on-going calf injury, which he picked up a month ago in the Super 14.

He has not been able to take part in training with the Boks, and has reportedly been ruled out of the first Test on medical grounds.

While flank Heinrich Brussow has been in superb form for the Cheetahs this season, and was their stand-out player against the touring Lions, Danie Rossouw will reportedly replace Burger in the Bok side.

Keo.co.za
leinsterlank
Knowledgeable

Re: Burger's out of the first test

Post by leinsterlank »

No loss there, he's out of form slightly anyway!
"It feels great. I've played for the team for 10 years and it was worth the wait. I love Leinster and I wanted to do it before the end of my career."

- BOD, Heineken Cup and Grand Slam Winner 2009
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Would have thought that the Boks would have leapt at the chance to bring Brussouw into the squad after his ownership of the breakdown for the Cheetahs. Obviously bringing Danie Roussouw back in means that there are less alterations to be made to the game-plan, and he's already familiar with the squad [played the entire RWC07 at No.8 as a late replacement for Spies, if I recall correctly], but bringing in our cheating friend would have given them a game-changing option off the bench and kept Geech guessing.

Obviously Roussouw is a big physical monster in his own right, but I could see us doing better at the breakdown now that Schalk is missing and Brussouw remains excluded.
8M LEINSTAW
Bookworm

Post by 8M LEINSTAW »

Burger and his Super 14 team been MIA all season. He'd be a loss if he had been showing some form.
Cubs fan, Bud man.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Will friend of the show Luke Watson get a call up now? Perhaps captain the side?
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

suisse wrote:Will friend of the show Luke Watson get a call up now? Perhaps captain the side?
Stopping only when the ball is out of play to throw up on his jersey.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

ceemec wrote:
suisse wrote:Will friend of the show Luke Watson get a call up now? Perhaps captain the side?
Stopping only when the ball is out of play to throw up on his jersey.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRqsRm4WOnU

With quality soundtrack - you just can't help dancing along to it
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

you're only making fun of poor luke because he's black
ror
Graduate

Post by ror »

Poor luke suffered Neil Back Syndrome ... They would nt pick him for a long time cause they thaught he was to small....