Team for Western Province

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Team for Western Province

Post by ronk »

ceemec wrote:
Danthefan wrote:Faith in coaching team dropping, like a f%~king stone. He's going to start the first test I reckon.
Have to say I'm irritated with the amount of influence the Welsh staff have exerted on this tour. Fine, you prefer working with players you know but things like bringing Halfpenny out (obviously not fit) and Jones out (shambolic decision now and everyone pointing the finger at each other) make me wonder what the hell is going on. Why they don't see fit to call a replacement now baffles me. They're in the exact same situation they were in a couple of days ago. 6 matches in rapid succession left with only 6 back row players. Very good chance they'll ship another injury to one of those players considering Powell is reportedly already carrying a knock and Martyn Williams has been unavailable for a few games now through injury. Stupid.

Williams has received more opportunities than anyone. He hasn't played well for 6 months. He's not going to suddenly discover form. He's 32 and looking like a spent force. Aside from broken field running the bloke offers nothing. Can't get my head around it.
He's similar age to Wallace, a better link-man and was picked in the Magners League team of the year despite playing about 4 games. The last bit might be a big hint as to why some people are still talking about him. I'd still pick Wallace over him but Williams does have a good record in big games.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

You've got the wrong Williams Ronk!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:You've got the wrong Williams Ronk!
No, you have. :mullet 1:
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Indeed, should have clarified the last sentence was in reference to Shane Williams. I've huge time for Martyn Williams. Not particularly known for his broken field running though!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

ronk wrote:
No, you have. :mullet 1:
See above....
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I saw Phil Greening on sky sports news earlier include Powell in his team....... :shock:
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I saw Phil Greening on sky sports news earlier include Powell in his team....... :shock:
:lol: He made one good off load in the build-up to Bowe's try and that supposedly makes up for all the mistakes he's made in two games.

Greening wouldn't be the brightest in fairness though
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

Powell was Stephen Jones' star man this weekend. Better than Bowe so he was.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Danthefan wrote:Powell was Stephen Jones' star man this weekend. Better than Bowe so he was.
Powell may have been an integral part of the first try, but he was lucky not to be penalised in first half for his stupidity and lucky not to get a yellow card for more of the same. If he plays Steyn will dish out the punishment from the resulting penos he gives away.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Danthefan wrote:Powell was Stephen Jones' star man this weekend. Better than Bowe so he was.
I don't understand...he's not English and doesn't play in the GP......
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Powell is world class. Time for Leinster and Irish fans to take their head's out of their asses. If Powell wasn't on Tour, the Lions would have lost two matches now. Heaslip is to Powell what Garrett Tubridy is to George Lee. If Jones says it, then it's right!