Team for Western Province

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

shezba
Learner

Team for Western Province

Post by shezba »

No big surprises here, it's a shame D'Arcy isn't going to get more of a chance to get into the test team. There's always the soon-to-be-vital third test though.

Makes you wonder why they played POC and Jones during the week and DOC and Hynes here.

Rob Kearney (Leinster/Ireland);
Tommy Bowe (Ospreys/Ireland),
Keith Earls (Munster/Ireland),
Riki Flutey (Wasps/England),
Ugo Monye (Harlequins/England);
Stephen Jones (Scarlets/Wales),
Harry Ellis (Leicester/England);
Andrew Sheridan (Sale/England),
Matthew Rees (Scarlets/Wales),
Phil Vickery (London Wasps/England),
Donncha O'Callaghan (Munster/Ireland),
Nathan Hines (Perpignan/Scotland),
Joe Worsley (Wasps/England),
Martyn Williams (Cardiff Blues/Wales),
Andy Powell (Cardiff Blues/Wales).

Replacements: Ross Ford (Edinburgh/Scotland), Euan Murray (Northampton/Scotland), Simon Shaw (Wasps/England), Tom Croft (Leicester/England), Mike Blair (Edinburgh/Scotland), James Hook (Ospreys/Wales), Gordon D'Arcy (Leinster/Ireland).
Who the fock was that??? Is that the focking guy who is in charge of the money???
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Re: Team for Western Province

Post by ceemec »

No massive surprises. Euan Murray seems to be out of the reckoning at tighthead. I'll be interested to see how Worsley goes at 6. I wouldn't be surprised to see him cover the bench for the tests if he goes well. Suspected Darce was only going out as cover but with Halfpenny gone home now too I'm a bit surprised they didn't at least give him a run today. Will certainly start next midweek game but that's more due to preserving the test side and sending out the cannon fodder.
Terraceman
Graduate

Post by Terraceman »

No Shane Williams, surely there is something wrong.

Yeah I would agree that there is no big surprises. Rob and DOC need huge games if they are to feature in the test 22. Earls like wise. Will also be interesting to see how Flutey plays after been out for so long.
Ah it's alright mate I've being looking to change that wing mirror- Rocky Elsom 19/05/2009
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

Really think Darce should have been given more of a go. Provides another type of option at Inside Centre. In a similar train of thought to having both Wallace and Williams in the 22. Good to see Shane Williams not there. Nig game for Earls, who as a utility back, could have played his way into 22. Would like to Ellis get into the 22, again a different option on the bench. Huge game for DOC really. With Worsely at 6, and Croft's average game on Weds, it really highlights what a big loss Ferris is - huge hole now.
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Terraceman wrote:No Shane Williams, surely there is something wrong.
Agreed, this clearly is some sort of sick joke.
dipper
Knowledgeable

Post by dipper »

Big game for Rob and DOC. Both have a real chance of making the test 22. Earls would need a massive display to make it.
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

DOC hasn't a hope. He's 4th choice lock
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

They're not giving Blair much of a chance. He's scheduled to start after the test team is announced. For guys like him and D'Arcy it's just a matter of playing well and hoping their chance comes for the 2nd or subsequent tests. There's 2 matches left after this one for the dirt trackers and 3 for the test team. Anything can happen.

Could easily say there's 4 of the test backline playing tomorrow with a further 2/3 very close (Kearney and Flutey) but whose chances have been hurt by injuries.
AidanSloan
Knowledgeable

Post by AidanSloan »

hugonaut wrote:
Terraceman wrote:No Shane Williams, surely there is something wrong.
Agreed, this clearly is some sort of sick joke.
I'd say a certain Mr.Gatland is behind it. We've all experienced his twisted sense of humour when it comes to team selection.
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

ronk wrote:They're not giving Blair much of a chance. He's scheduled to start after the test team is announced. For guys like him and D'Arcy it's just a matter of playing well and hoping their chance comes for the 2nd or subsequent tests. There's 2 matches left after this one for the dirt trackers and 3 for the test team. Anything can happen.

Could easily say there's 4 of the test backline playing tomorrow with a further 2/3 very close (Kearney and Flutey) but whose chances have been hurt by injuries.
test team is scheduled to be picked on Tuesday night...........after the game v Southern Kings
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

ronk wrote:They're not giving Blair much of a chance. He's scheduled to start after the test team is announced. For guys like him and D'Arcy it's just a matter of playing well and hoping their chance comes for the 2nd or subsequent tests. There's 2 matches left after this one for the dirt trackers and 3 for the test team. Anything can happen.

Bowe, Stephen Jones, Monye and which other? Don't see any of the others in with a shot myself.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

This selection could work well for Luke in that Earls and Kearney probably won't bring Monye into the game much.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

That looks as close to a Wednesday XV as we have seen, with the exception of the two props, Stephen Jones and Tommy Bowe. Perhaps Matthew Rees too. They will have to play a few of the Test starters on Wednesday before the primera Test so.

A big performance from Ugo Monye is needed because I still think that they'll play Shane Williams in the first test. Monye could do with showing them what Williams isn't delievering.

Has anyone seen the Western Provence XV yet? I don't like the look of the Lions pack. A bit of dynamism around with park with Martyn Williams and the flawed Andy Powell, but this looks like a team expecting the battle to be won up front. The mix of backs and forward is interesting, because, largely, the front 8 is very defensive looking, yet there are quality finishers with pace littered all across the back line. This is a team of extremes. If Keith Earls makes a break, which one of the forwards will be in support if M. Williams is otherwise occupied? It's as exciting a back division that we have seen (how many tries have numbers 11, 13 and 14 scored together?) on tour, and Jones apart, the remaining 6 players could be on a flight in 4 years time. Will the blend of brute and pace work?

I'd say Luke Watson is enjoying the look of that back row
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

TrapperChamonix wrote:

test team is scheduled to be picked on Tuesday night...........after the game v Southern Kings
For some reason I thought the match was Wednesday. :shock:
dipper
Knowledgeable

Post by dipper »

ronk wrote:
TrapperChamonix wrote:

It's a bloody afternoon kick off too which is cr@p. :(
8M LEINSTAW
Bookworm

Post by 8M LEINSTAW »

Arse! Double whammy. Thought tomorrow's match was a 6.10pm k.o. Had it all planned out as a great night out spending zero brownie points what with the wife off to Take That...

Fupp.
Cubs fan, Bud man.
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

dipper wrote:
ronk wrote:
TrapperChamonix wrote: test team is scheduled to be picked on Tuesday night...........after the game v Southern Kings
It's a bloody afternoon kick off too which is cr@p. :(
Once they get to the week leading up to the test matches they generally have the games on the Tuesday. Leaves some chance of someone being able to play on the Tues and the Test match.
The only reason I can think of for not playing in the evening is because its a brand new stadium (officially opening date was 9th June 2009) and perhaps the lights don't work yet.
Never have a game in the week leading up to the last test.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Oh you have to laugh. Mike Blair injured and is out of the 22 for today. No news on extent of injury. Do the bring Mike Phillips in and let him warm bench? Nah. Of course not.

Shane Williams, get in there and play scrum half! :lol: I know they obviously want to wrap Phillips in cotton wool but it's still funny that they get Williams into the 22 again magically! Would anyone be surprised to see him come on and get some time on the wing?!
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

Faith in coaching team dropping, like a f%~king stone. He's going to start the first test I reckon.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Danthefan wrote:Faith in coaching team dropping, like a f%~king stone. He's going to start the first test I reckon.
Have to say I'm irritated with the amount of influence the Welsh staff have exerted on this tour. Fine, you prefer working with players you know but things like bringing Halfpenny out (obviously not fit) and Jones out (shambolic decision now and everyone pointing the finger at each other) make me wonder what the hell is going on. Why they don't see fit to call a replacement now baffles me. They're in the exact same situation they were in a couple of days ago. 6 matches in rapid succession left with only 6 back row players. Very good chance they'll ship another injury to one of those players considering Powell is reportedly already carrying a knock and Martyn Williams has been unavailable for a few games now through injury. Stupid.

Williams has received more opportunities than anyone. He hasn't played well for 6 months. He's not going to suddenly discover form. He's 32 and looking like a spent force. Aside from broken field running the bloke offers nothing. Can't get my head around it.